Search

3 Week visit

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Stephen

3 Week visit

We have about 3 weeks in Aus. have have sketched out the following plan. Have you any suggestions of places worth a visit or places we should avoid?<BR><BR>3rd Aug-Sydney<BR>4th-Wander around Sydney<BR>5th -<BR>6th-Blue Mountains. Jenby Rinjah Lodge.<BR>7th<BR>8th<BR>9th-Return to Sydney<BR>10th<BR>11th-Hunter Valley? Is it worth a visit?<BR>12th<BR>13th-Brisbane<BR>14th-Heron Island<BR>15th<BR>16th<BR>17th-Fly to Cairns & hire car.Silky Oaks Lodge.<BR>18th<BR>19th<BR>20th-Drive to Port Douglas.<BR>21st<BR>22nd-Fly to Melbourne<BR>23rd<BR>24th<BR>25th-Drive back to Sydney.Is this wise?<BR>26th<BR>27th<BR>28th Depart.<BR><BR>We are going to based in Sydney.<BR><BR>With the internal flights, is it better to get a Boomerang pass or are flights generally just as cheap to buy when there?

Old May 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Alan

Hi, Stephen!<BR><BR>Your itinerary sounds wonderful, and my only suggestion for an improvement would be to drive from Melbourne to Sydney via Canberra, which is an interesting city full of art galleries and memorials, but because it's "off the beaten path" (i.e. away from the coast), often ignored by tourists. Stay there a day or two, even if it means taking a bit of time off Sydney (you have been quite generous to Sydney with regards to time.)<BR><BR>If you're driving from Sydney to Brisbane, by all means visit the Hunter Valley and some of the wineries. Maybe an extra day or two in Brisbane would be a good idea, as it will be a pleasant time of year there... nicer than the cities down south!<BR><BR>I think you have chosen well in planning the Blue Mountains for early rather than last August, as some of the winter activities (such as the "Christmas in July" feasts at local restaurants) may still be on, and you may even see a bit of snow. You will have quite a variation in temperatures on this trip, as I'm sure you understand. Canberra and the Blue Mountains will be cold, while the areas north of Brisbane are always sunny and warm. August can also be a very windy month in Sydney... but you might be lucky, as sometimes the winds come late, after September (and Spring) have already begun. And August is usually fairly dry. However, bring a topcoat for those days when you are wandering around the concrete-canyon areas where the sun seldom shines!<BR><BR>I can't really advise you on air fares vs the Boomerang Pass. Many tourists have written to this board praising the pass, so even though it LOOKS expensive, it must fill a need! The problem with air fares in Australia at the moment is that everything is so volatile that what is true one week will not necessarily be true the next. To know about special deals in August, you'd have to wait until August. Before you commmit yourself, get onto the Virgin-blue site and see what they have to offer. If there are any specials, they are likely to originate from this company, the only budget airline we have left (though I hear Qantas is starting up its own.)<BR><BR>I wish you a wonderful holiday!

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:21 PM
aussie@aussie

Here is John again - advertising his own product.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:39 PM
marg

If you are driving from Sydney to Brisbane, consider visiting the Port Stephens area. It is close to the Hunter Valley, and is a very nice beach area. You can do a boat cruise to see the dolphins.<BR>Whilst you are in Port Douglas, hire a car and drive north to Cape Tribulation (take the ferry across the Daintree). It is an easy day trip from PD - magnificent beaches and views.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:07 PM
dominique

STEPHEN,what an itinerary! made me want to go with you...heheh. why don't we chat over at www.travelalliance.org and exchange stories, yeah?