Search

2 weeks in Queensland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 12:15 PM
Amy

2 weeks in Queensland

My partner & I will be spending 2 weeks in Queensland in Jan '01. We will be flying into Cairns and would like to slowly make our way down to Brisbane. Along the way - probably have stays in Mackay & Bowen. Any suggestions for activities? We would love to take the train for part, we both motorcycle amd also love horseback riding. Any info appreciated!! Thanks!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 10:33 PM
margh

Make sure you go to Port Douglas. Another good trip is the Atherton Tableland - you can get to Kuranda by either rail or sky train. Mission Beach (about 2 hours south of Cairns) is lovely - beautiful beach and you can do a day trip to Dunk Island. <BR>From Townsville you can go to Magnetic Island - about 20 minutes by ferry. Visit Airlie Beach - this is the jumping off place for the Whitsunday islands. <BR>There isn't much for a tourist in Bowen - Rockhampton has more to offer. <BR>From Hervey Bay you can go to Fraser Island - well worth a visit either for the day or an overnight stay. The Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane has lots of nice places to stay. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Amy

Thanks so much for the info. It will be very helpful!

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Thor

Amy: This may sound obvious, but don't miss out on taking at least one trip to the Great Barrier Reef. You can leave from any of the places mentioned: Port Douglas, Cairns, or Airlie Beach, although probably Cairns has the most choice of different craft to get out there. Swimming close to shore is taboo, because of the Box Jellyfish that time of year, but you will be okay out on the reef. You don't even have to swim if you take one of the more expensive tours that have underwater viewing platforms, but that would be a shame, because you haven't lived until you swim with the reef critters!!

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 06:06 PM
Heidi

Amy, <BR>What a great choice - Queensland is great in summer, although it will be very warm up north. I would recommend a day trip to the reef at the very least - and if you want to visit a coral cay - Green Island off Cairns is best. Probably the most beautiful beach in QLD is Whitehaven in the Whitsundays off Airlie Beach. Around Cairns the highlights are Port Douglas and the Atherton Tablelands. Bowen is probably not a great choice. I wouldn't recommend Rockhamptom either - its greatest asset is Great keppel Island and it is nothing to write home about. Rocky's other highlight is cattle stations if you are really keen on that so I am sure you could do some horseback riding around there. You can do "outback trips" by train to Longreach from here but be prepared for stinking hot weather. Heron Island off Glandstone (just south of Rocky) is another coral cay and is just pristine if you want to stay a few days ( it doesn't take day trippers). Further south, the Sunshine Coast is great (Noosa is my favourite), the Sunshine Coast Hinterland (Maleny - relaxing resorts in the hinterland with beutiful scenery for motorbiking. They have a Harley tour there.)and a trip to Fraser Island are my recommendations. Brisbane is another big city, but has great markets(Sunday riverside markets and Southbank Markets). You can also take a trip to Tangalooma from Brisbane if you want to experience sand tabogonning and dolphin feeding! Hope all is going well with your planning.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Frank

Amy: You could also take a cruise fron Cairns to Townsville on CORAL PRINCESS, excellent. I'd forget train unless you stopped overnite. Did it once could't sleep, tracks all messed up. Also rent a house On sunshine coast. Also Islands are great. Frank