10 nights Matangi too much?

Jun 7th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Teri

10 nights Matangi too much?

Message: Hi everyone, I am planning my honeymoon and would like to know if 10 nights on Matangi Island is too much or if I should split my stay to another island. My future hubby and I love very, very, remote locations, very private and very tropical sceanery (loved St. Lucia Anse Chastanet). We really love open air room, no phone, no tv like rooms. Preferably more rustic (but still romantic) than fancy. I kinda like the idea of planting my feet and not moving (our bags,hassel,etc.) but am concerned with maybe 10 nights being too long on one island. Also if anyone else has been to Matangi does my description for our perfect honeymoon match Matangi Island? Also as we are coming from Chicago, should we spend the night in LA or just get the flight over with? Any help is appreciated...Thank you, Teri

Jun 7th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Louise

Hi, Teri - you didn't say whether you are interested in snorkeling or diving. Not much else in the way of outdoor activities. There is a day hike on Taveuni to a waterfall and the staff at Matangi will take you to Taveuni and pick you up later. Also, there is a cove on the island which you can have for private use for a half day. Not much in the way of beach at the resort itself. We love Matangi but I sure wouldn't want to spend 10 days there but then we weren't on our honeymoon either. As for stopping in LA, just remember that you have another plane flight from Nadi and when you get to Taveuni you have a motor boat ride of I think it was about 30 minutes. Have a great time!!

Jun 8th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Teri

Hi Louise, Thanks for the information on Matangi. My future hubby and I like to hike beautiful trails and snorkel and maybe even dive. We were even thinking of getting certified before our honeymoon. We love the beach, beautiful water, lots of flowers and palm trees, waterfalls and a lot of privacy (boy am I asking for heaven or what?) Ive been torn between Fiji and Tahiti (Bora Bora). Fiji(Matangi) appeals to me because it has only 14 bures on the Island and the fact that its about half the price of Tahiti. We dont like to have to worry about where to go to eat and bringing a lot of money. We love being alone and just doing a whole lot of nothing. We arnt big drinkers and dont care much for night life except looking at the stars. I would really like to feel like were alone on the island at times. Is that possible? Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much, Teri

Jun 8th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Louise

Well, I think you will love Matangi for 10 days after describing what you like to do. We were there for a week and then went on to another island for another week and boy, were we disappointed after Matangi. It really spoiled us. They will truly make you feel like family there and you can be by yourselves as much as you want.

Jun 9th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Louis

First regarding getting there,I suggest that you plan to fly through by taking the afternoon flight from LAX that arrives in Nadi around 10:30 pm. Then overnight in the TokaToka or other hotel right by the airport. You then take the morning flight to Taveuni arriving at Matangi about noon. We last spent 9 nights in Matangi and we do not dive. My wife said that it was not too long but that depends on your tastes and the nature of the other guests. We had a delightful bunch of people there. Like all remote island, Fiji is limited in what they have to offer other than nature. I would suggest also that on return that you get a day room and then visit the Raymond Burr orchid gardens and then perhaps visit Nadi for shopping. A taxi and driver is the the easy way to handle that and the cost for it for a half day is very little. If you don't mind the typos etc., I will e-mail you our trip report to relatives on Matangi. If you plan to dive, it will not be too long. They have a top class dive operation there. If you had a little more time, I would suggest a 7 nights at Matangi and a Blue Lagoon Cruise for 3 nights. It is not easy to work out the connections however.

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Teri

Louise and Louis, Thank you so much for your comments. I beginning to think Matangi sounds perfect. I read in one persons comment on Tahiti that you see more people at the pool in Tahiti than you do on one island in Fiji. I think Tahiti looks beautiful but Fiji sounds more remote. Apparently they have both the Tree House Bures and the Cliff Side Bure available during my honeymoon. Any suggestions as to which is better. We would love a great view and a ton of privacy. Stairs dont bug us a bit as we are both very athletic (we had 300 steps to get to our room in St. Lucia and Loved it!!!). Any advice is appreciated. Thank you, Teri