Search

10 days S I with 2 kids

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days S I with 2 kids

Late Nov trip planned. Car hire / cabins or motorhome ? Arthurs Pass by train from Christchurch or drive ? Franz Josef / Fox Glacier,Overnight Doubtful sound cruise and 2 nights Te Anau for Milford Sound boat tour and short walks. Queenstown - shotover jet, Dunedin ?? penguins, Hamner springs/christchurch. Any other suggestions? .Kids aged 10 AND 13.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:16 AM
ALF

Given that you only have 10 days, I think that you would save a lot of time each day if you used a motorhome; no checking in or out, just go, even if the kids are just waking up; and whipping up a quick meal instead of eating out all the time. Our kids loved NZ's holiday parks; meeting other kids, playing on the trampoline (it appears that there is a national law that every holiday park is required to have one), and exploring. I would avoid the temptation of getting a big one, as many of the roads are narrow and/or twisty. The road from Arthurs Pass to Greymouth is a good example - it has several hairpin switchback curves that will be tough to negotiate in a big vehicle.

Our kids really liked the guided glacier hike onto Fox Glacier, but it is a little rugged for little one. Only do it if yours are on the tough side. If your budget can stand it, a heli-hike high up on one of the glaciers will be a big hit. If you don't visit the glow worm caves near Te Anau, you can check out the much more modest little glow worm cave at the Glow Worm Forest Camp (and you can stay there if you chose the motorhome option).

If you go on the Doubtful overnight, you might want to skip the Milford Sound tour as somewhat repetitive (although you could still go to Milford - it is a great drive). A really nice short walk is to The Chasm, located between the Homer Tunnel and Milford. There are lots of great short walks between Te Anau and Milford. One we really liked was the hike up to Lake Marian, in the nearby Hollyford Valley. Also, a tour to the Glow Worm Caves might be a good substitute for a second Sound boat tour.

If you or the kids like trail riding, there are good horse stables (Reflection Stables) at Lake Matheson, near the glaciers.

In Oamaru there is a blue penguin colony. During nesting season, they come ashore each evening around 9-10pm. There are viewing stands set up so you can watch them show up and waddle to their nests. Check on this, November may be too early in the season. The best yellow-eyed penguin viewing place is Penguin Place (!) out on the Otago Peninsula. If you like birds, you might also want to check out the Royal Albatross colony out at the end of the Otago Peninsula.

Most New Zealand cities have huge public pool complexes, some with water slides. This was a great rainy day activity for out family. Check out the Moana pool in Dunedin and the Queen Elizabeth II complex in Christchurch.

In Queenstown, the Skyline Gondola was a great scenic ride, and a fun lunch spot.

Other fun family places in Christchurch: Caddyshack City, an indoor miniature golf spot for another rainy day activity; the Southern Encounter Aquarium in downtown (small but nice); the International Antarctic Centre and the Orana Wildlife Reserve, both near the airport.

If you are already driving from Christchurch to the west coast, then it might not be worth it to also take the TranzAlpine train over a similar route. The most scenic part of the train route is between Christchurch and Arthurs Pass. We chose to take the train up to the Pass, have lunch and take a short hike (Devil's Punchbowl), then catch the return train a few hours later back to CChurch. If you do that, then you could possibly take a different route to the West coast.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alf. There is alot to consider !! Our teenager isn't a big fan of road travel. We are thinking of bypassing Hamner Springs to spend more time at Te Anau / Milford/ Doubtful as a base and perhaps taking route 85 to Oamaru missing Dunedin. Do you think we are missing any real highlights? We are from a rural area in NSW so cities don't really appeal. Thanks for your initial help.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:26 AM

If you go through Wanaka then Puzzle World is a great place for kids (and adults), our son loved it. He also really enjoyed the luge rides in Queenstown (take the Skyline gondola).

You can also see yellow-eyed penguins in Oamaru, you need to book the tour with the tourist office as they only take about 12 people. You don't see as many penguins than at Penguin Place in the Otago peninsula when you get really close to them and Jim, who does the tour is excellent - his tours always last longer than they are supposed to! In the same evening you can do the yellow eyed penguins and the little blue ones (both are good, completely different experiences)

We hired a campervan and like ALF I can say that our son liked the trampolines, the holiday parks were all very good.

We did the overnight doubtful sound cruise, for many people it is the highlight of their holiday, for us I must say it wasn't as it rained ALL THE TIME!!! Yes, the waterfalls were great but it would have been nice to see a bit of sun too! It was a great trip, just a shame about the weather...

The helihike on the glacier was however definitely one of our highlights - a bit expensive but definitely worth it. Our son loved it and was right behind the guide for the duration of the trip!

We really enjoyed the afternoon we spent at the pools in Hamner Springs, near the holiday park there is also a maze and mini-golf (we had to go twice!) From there we drove to Christchurch where we visited the antarctic centre, again, we had a great time there.

Have a great holiday!
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:25 AM
ALF

It would be OK to bypass Dunedin, but you would then probably miss out on the penguins and albatrosses out on the Otago Peninsula. Hamner Springs is nice, but it would not be a big loss (IMO) if you missed it.

I remembered another big hit with the teens - we took a raft trip down the Clutha River, from Lake Wanaka. It is a fast-moving river, but hardly any real 'white water'. We saw lots of birds, scenery, and had a fine ride.

Our 10-year old also got a kick out of Wanaka's Puzzling World, but your 13-year old might think it is 'lame'. I couldn't find my way out of the large maze, and had to bail out through a 'cheaters' gate.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Another thing I have just remembered is the Dart river safari (near Queenstown). We went up the river by jetboat and came back by 'funyak', we were there in December so there was quite a bit of water and a few mini rapids, not quite the float trip I expected but it was fun. On a different trip we also did white water rafting and jetboat just outside Hamner Springs - we thought the jetboat at Hamner Springs was better than at the Dart river, much more scary in my opinion!

One place we really liked in the Otago peninsula was Sandfly beach and its big sandy dunes, while on the beach we saw sea lions, birds and a penguin!
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. I seem to be a day short in my planning so am trying to eliminate either the train trip from Christchurch to Arthur's Pass or dolphin swimming at Akaroa or thermal springs at Hamner Springs ( we have done thermal springs in Kakadu . I'm sure how different the NZ ones are ). Any suggestions ??
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Are your kids Lord of the Rings fans? There are a lot of filming sites on the South Island.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

not really into L of the R. More into water activities and animals.They really want to swim with the dolphins at Akaroa. Any suggestions about tour companies for this?