10 days in the South Island

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:52 PM
JT

10 days in the South Island

We are planning a 10 day trip to see the South Island. We would fly into Auckland and rent a car.<BR>What are some suggestions for seeing as much of the South Island in 10 days? A lot of the itineraries we have seen recommend taking connecting flights to the other cities like Auckland to Christchurch, Queenstown to Auckland.<BR><BR>Is it possible to see the South Island by just driving in 10 days?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:37 PM
ALF

You could see a good part of the South Island in 10 days, provided that you didn't spend a lot of time getting there from Auckland (and back). I think that you should fly to Christchurch, then hire a car or campervan for a big circle of the Island. Otherwise you will lose at least 3 days just getting to the South Island and return.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:18 PM
Tangata

Alf is quite right, there isn’t any point in renting a car in Auckland, you couldn’t take it across the straits anyway.<BR>Either fly directly to Christchurch or take a plane from Auckland to Christchurch.<BR>The “circle” idea is fine, except that I would suggest that Milford is a must but it involves driving in and out over the same road. If finances permit it is possible to fly to Milford from Queenstown on a charter, I think that one option is fly one way and bus the other.<BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:04 AM
jane

we did a 17 ninght tour of he South Island in a 4 wheel drive. <BR>We did 3 night christchurch staying at the George hotel ( v nice! -but probably only need 1 or 2 nights).<BR>Then on to Kaikoura for 1 night to see the whales via hamner springs for a dip. Stayed at the Old Convent - great convivial dinner but unfortunately the sea was rough so no whalewatching.Kaikoura a bit of a dump otherwise.<BR><BR>3 nights in a vinyard cottage at Marlbrough ( Ponder Estate) - had a fab time wine tasting..<BR>Then on to Nelson for 3 nights - stayed in a motel. Nelson no great but Abel Tasman park for a day trip was unmissable - saw killer whales in the bay.<BR>Then down the West Coast to Fox Glacier ( 1 night in Fox Glacier hotel) for helihiking - scary as the mists drew in but great experience. Then onto Wannaka springs lodge ( great, great hotel) for 2 nights recuperation. Then Queensown for 6 nights staying at the waterfront apartments ( fab view and very central) - did overight to Milford Sound from there - coach in and fly out - except weather was bad so we had to coach it both ways. Loved Queenstown. Booked nearly everything( including excursions) through Travellmall.com who have excellent rates ( plus 10 % discount if you book more than 7 nights) and absolutely no hitches.<BR>highlights - Vinyards, Abel tasman, drive from Fox Glacier to Wannaka, Queenstown, staying at Wannaka Srpings Lodge and Waterfront apratments, Jet boating at Queenstown. Regretts - Wished we had had at least one farm or homestay through....<BR>Hope this helps!<BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:14 AM
sxv

I just came back from a 12 day trip to NZ (10 days in the South Island). It was fabulous!! <BR><BR>I agree with what everyone else has said about flying to the South Island from Auckland. Even with 10 days we were quite busy and had to give up on seeing some of the &quot;major&quot; sights (Christchurch, Milford Sound). So you really have to prioritize and not try to do everything.<BR><BR>Here was our itinerary (about 2 days in each area) - Dunedin and Catlins, Queenstown and Wanaka, Glaciers, Nelson and Abel Tasman NP, Blenheim and Marlborough. <BR><BR>Even this limited itinerary involved a LOT of driving. And keep in mind that driving between major destinations takes longer than it would by US standards of distances. The roads are very good, but driving is sometimes slow because of curves or hills (or just beautiful scenery that you have to stop and photograph).<BR><BR>No matter what you see, it will all be beautiful - Have fun!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Mary

We are New Zealanders, who have travelled the south Island extensively-we have an aprtment in christchurch which is used by overseas guests and so have a made a point of finding other accommodation which we would reccommend to visitors.<BR>at risk of sounding &quot;one eyed&quot;, I thnk the South Island is stunning-so much to see as well as wonderful galleries, vineyards, theatre. I think that the adventure aspect of the country is the most well known, but there are also great restaurants, cafes etc.<BR>We have travelled in many countries and still adore coming back.<BR>do email me if you would like specific reccommendations.<BR>Kind regards,<BR>Mary

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Mary

We are New Zealanders, who have travelled the south Island extensively-we have an aprtment in christchurch which is used by overseas guests and so have a made a point of finding other accommodation which we would reccommend to visitors.<BR>at risk of sounding &quot;one eyed&quot;, I thnk the South Island is stunning-so much to see as well as wonderful galleries, vineyards, theatre. I think that the adventure aspect of the country is the most well known, but there are also great restaurants, cafes etc.<BR>We have travelled in many countries and still adore coming back.<BR>do email me if you would like specific reccommendations.<BR>Kind regards,<BR>Mary

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Jill

We just returned from a 16 day Honeymoon trip and this is our itinerary.<BR>2 days Kaiteriteri -at the Kimi Ora Spa ((It was ok, but not what we had hoped for) This is near the entrance to Abel Tasman, we drove to the Nelson Lake region on a day trip and to Golden Bay on another, very windy roads!<BR>2 days at Oramu (near Kaikoura) at the Greystones B&amp;B - A most Beautiful B &amp; B right on the coast and fabulous hosts!<BR>3 days Christchurch - at the Westin B&amp;B centrally located by Hagley Park (You must eat at the Pescatori Restaurant at the George Hotel across the street!)<BR>3 days at the Hermitage on Mt. Cook (If you like hiking &amp; Out door activity, not much else to do)<BR>6 days in Queenstown - rented the Wombat Lodge Vacation Home.<BR>We rented a car and did day trips from these central locations and were able to see so much of the beauty NZ. I feel you'd miss out on much of that if you flew, but if time is a concern, it is an efficient way to travel.<BR><BR>If you like B&amp;B's, I recommend the Heritage Inns - an organization of B&amp;B's throughout NZ. We stayed with the president of the association at the Westin - Stephanie May - and were so impressed with the hospitality and service.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:34 AM
kelly

Hi JT~ We have been to NZ 3 times and still have not seen everything. For cities, forget Christchurch and spend time in Queenstown and Dunedin. I would also go to Nelson as a pass through only for Abel Tasman and the Marlborough Sounds. I also prefer the West coast over the East Coast. If you have been to other places with glaciers, NZ's are underwhelming. Although the West Coast in beautiful, and the Pancake rocks really something, the towns over there are very economically depressed. I also think the Fjords are so fantastic, I do not understand the need to go to Mt Cook, and the pass is not so interesting. There is so much to see and do in NZ, better to narrow the places and cherry pick the most awesome places. Also, I suggest that you can better enjoy Doubtful/Milford/Dusty if you stage in Te Anau and not try to do this out of Queenstown.<BR><BR>