Your thoughts on my Wakayama Prefecture Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of my 3-week trip to Japan, I intend to visit Wakayama for a couple of days. I will be getting around by public transport and should point out that I'm not so keen on shrines/temples hence my omission of Koyasan. Can I please have your views on the itinerary below? Is it worth stopping for a night in Kushimoto or would it be better to spend an extra night in Shirahama?

Thu 24th October - Kyoto > Wakayama City
Fri 25th October - Wakayama City - half day trip to Marina City
Sat 26th October - Wakayama City > Shirahama
Sun 27th October - Shirahama > Kushimoto
Mon 28th October - Kushimoto - Kii Katsura
Tue 29th October - Kii Katsura > Nachi falls > Kii Katsura > Osaka
Wed 30th October - Osaka > Osaka (KIX) airport. Flight @ 10AM

Thanks
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 05:05 AM

For a 10am flight, it night not be necessary to stay in central Osaka. Airport hotel or a hotel in a city along the Nankai line. I had a good stay in Sakai.

Can't help in the Wakayama itinerary as I haven't visited.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 05:24 PM

I don't know how adventurous you are. If you are, this might appeal to you: https://en.visitwakayama.jp/venues/venue_73/
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 01:19 PM

I'd say it includes some very good sights to see, and many not overrun by tourists. For Kushimoto though getting around can be a challenge - public transport (buses and taxis) are either infrequent or get expensive. Ultimately it all depends on your interests though. The Turkish Museum there is something you won't find elsewhere in the country, nor the US Friendship museum (from a visit in 1791!) The Hashigui-iwa rocky coast looks nice too, but the best time is if you can go during low tide. I highly suggest you check the bus schedules ahead of time, or you might end up waiting 2 hours for the next bus.
For Wakayama City, you might consider going to the Yoshuien Garden - very nice. As for Koyasan, I understand that you may not be into temples and shrines so much, and that is fine. But missing the Okunoin necropolis at Koyasan would truly be a tragedy. It goes back 1200 years and there are 200,000 that call it their final home. It will leave you awestruck. There is no place in Japan remotely like it.