YMCA Salisbury Dorms

Search

YMCA Salisbury Dorms

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YMCA Salisbury Dorms

I will be travelling with my family of 5 (3 kids under the age of 12) to Hongkong for 4 days and 3 nights from November 2-5. I would like to book a dorm room for 4 at YMCA Salisbury but online bookings at the sites I have visited are limited to Standard rooms and up. Would anyone know how to book a dorm room in advance? I would like to be assured of a room before I bring my family there on vacation. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM

i ahve never heard of any dorm rooms at the salisbury Y....and a dorm room probably would be for more than 4....
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM

Are you sure there are dorm rooms at the YMCA Salisbuary. I also have never heard of any. What about interconnecting rooms?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

I was looking for budget places to stay for my family in the internet. I typed YMCA Salisbury Dorms on Google Search and found some very good reviews about 4-bedroom dorms for YMCA Salisbury. That's how I became curious about it and would like to know how to book online. I haven't been to YMCA yet and am not really sure if they have dorms. But why would people recommend and give reviews (and there were several of them)on the dorms if there are none? Perhaps they meant "room" when they said "dorm"?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

call them on the telephone and ask
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I found the email address for sales of YMCA and have sent my query. Thank you so much. Another thing, please give your comments on my planned itinerary for our HK trip, as ff:
Day 1 (Nov.2,Fri) 10:30 arrive at HK Island coming from airport via Airport Express. Lunch at IFC Mall (nearest I can see on the map). Afternoon after checking-in, visit Museums at Kowloon Island: Space, Art, Science, Museum of History
Have dinner somewhere in Kowloon Island and view Symphony of Lights at Avenue of Stars.

Day 2 (Nov. 3,Sat) 10am Spend whole day at Ocean Park up to about 4pm. Rest of afternoon, go around HK Island. Have dinner somewhere in HK Island (any place with both fried chicken for the kids and something more interesting for adults?)

Day 3 (Sun) 7am Go up Victoria Peak via Tram and walk around for about half the day. Have lunch at The Peak or maybe elsewhere if Peak tour is over early.
After Lunch, Take 2-level Bus 6 or 6A to Stanley/Repulse Bay and then back
to Hotel. (How long will bus trip to and from Stanley/Repulse Bay take? I have an AccorHotel membership and have booked one night at Novotel Citygate for the last night, so we have to get there before the 6:00pm booking cut-off. We plan to leave HK Island for Novotel via Airport Express at around 5pm at the latest. Will there be enough time?)
Day 4 (Nov. 5, Mon) Check-in lugguage at Airport Express after 12nn check-out at hotel(Someone told me I can already check-in my lugguage at the Airport Express Terminal in advance so that I only have ourselves to carry around to the airport) Book 2pm trip at NP360 (Estimate about 3 hours). Get to airport by 6pm. Flight leaves at 7:40pm.
Thank you so much for your advise. I'm glad I signed-up at Fodor's yesterday.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM

think you might want to be at the airport earlier, but not sure...i would..

what is np360??
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

NP360 is short for Ngong Ping 360 the cable car at Lantau Island. Yes, maybe I ought to be at the airport earlier so I will probably book a 1pm trip at Ngong Ping. What do you think of the rest of my itinerary?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM

You can book directly with them no problem. http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM

Click "accomodations" on Kim's link (above) and you'll see dormitory at the bottom of the room types.
rooms hold 4 people on two bunk beds. $30 per bed per night, and you can book online from there. You say you have 5 in the family but want a room for 4? This should do it.

Here is that page:
http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/e_DR.htm
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM

Day 3:

#6 bus from Stanley back to Central takes approx. 55 minutes according to the bus company. I think that's about right.

Note that only #6 goes over the Wong Nai Chung Gap with the most exciting route. The 6A, 6X and 260 takes the tunnel.

The MTR from Hong Kong station to Tung Chung takes 28 minutes. But from Tsim Sha Tsui (if you're staying at the YMCA Salisbury), it takes 34 minutes with a transfer.

You'll be quite rushed for that day, I tell you. And I don't understand why you need to be there at 6pm. Call and give them your credit card # and tell them to charge it. You don't have to check-in by 6pm. You DON'T WANT to check-in by 6, as there's little to do in Tung Chung in the evening.

Day 4:

You check out of the hotel, but tell them to store your luggage. Get an earlier reservations for the NP360 cable car. Visit the Po Lin Monastery and the Big Buddha. Take the bus down to the fishing village of Tai O, and then back to Ngong Ping and take the cable car back. Pick up your luggage and take the shuttle to airport.

You will not be using the city check-in. Those are in the city. You are already on Lantau, right next to the airport. Plus, how are you planning to spend the morning for Day 4?
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

My goodness! You have all been so helpful. Imagine, I have been sleeping late nights because of all this sooo very advanced as I am so excited about bringing the whole family to HK. I am so glad to have encountered this website and get your advise.

For the evening of Day 3, I'm thinking we can explore the Citygate Outlets once we arrive at Novotel and have dinner somewhere there.

For the morning of Day 4, I imagine we will just be lying around at the hotel as we will probably be quite tired from all the rushing around we have been doing the past 3 days and would like to save some energy for the last leg of our tour which is Ngong Ping. Also I myself have to be back at work the following day, although the kids can probably skip school if they're not up to it. On the other hand, if the adrenalin is still up, would you have any suggested activities?
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:17 AM

darna -

About Day 4. You are taking the plane that evening. You shouldn't start going to the Big Buddha that late. The cable car ride alone takes about 25 minutes, each way. And you don't want to take risk - if wind is high or if they have a malfunction, you will miss your plane.

That's why you should start Day 4 earlier. No need to rush, but have a leisure breakfast, then checkout of the hotel and leave luggage there.

The part to Tai O is an addition to Po Lin Monastery and the Big Buddha. You will have time to do that if you don't start too late. It's quite interesting. The bus from Ngong Ping to Tai O takes only about 15 minutes, but only once an hour. The times are posted, so write them down.

Whether you go to Tai O or not, <b>you shouldn't go as late as 2pm</b> for the cable car. And it's a short walk from the Novotel to the cable car station. 10 minutes tops. Even if you check out as late as noon, you can be there at 12:10.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Okay, more about your itinerary:

Day 1. If you are booked at the YMCA Salisbury, and have a lot of luggage, you want to go to the hotel directly from the airport. Get off at the Kowloon station, not Hong Kong. Buy the &quot;Group of 4&quot; tickets for HK$220 plus another ticket for a child HK$45. Then take free K3 shuttle to The Peninsula. YMCA Salisbury is next door.

After check-in, or after leaving luggage there, you go explore.

Day 2. There are many KFCs in Hong Kong, but few other restaurants offer them. KFC's website there is www.kfchk.com. One is near your hotel at the Harbour City Shopping Center. If you want to eat on Hong Kong Island, maybe go to the one on Yee Wo Street in the heart of Causeway Bay. Many other restaurants and shops in that area.

Day 3. From the Peak to Stanley, to save time, you can take the #15 bus to the junction of Stubbs Road and Wong Nai Chung Gap Road. Get off, and change to the #6 bus that goes up Wong Nai Chung Gap. But with 2 adults and 3 kids, you may just as well cramp into a taxi. Cost a little more but save you time and the transfer.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

About Day 2 getting-off at HK Station of Airport Express, I got my pass through AsiaMiles and I got pass up to HK Station as I didn't see that Kowloon pass was also available. Is it possible for us to get-off at Kowloon Station of Airport Express even if our pass is up to HK Station?

About Day 3, I have some apprehensions about our original itinerary. Realistically, I think I might not be able to get the little kids up and about and finish breakfast early enough to get to Victoria Peak Tram by 7am if we're staying at Kowloon side. Perhaps we can be there at around 9am. Since this is a Sunday, the line at the Peak Tram will probably be long already by that time. So I think we will just have to skip walking around at Stanley. However, I read somewhere that ride on upper deck of bus is great on the way to Stanley. If I just take the family on a round trip from Central to Stanley and back to Central for the sake of the bus ride, do you think the time and effort will be worthwhile? Or what about the Victoria Peak trip? I'm thinking of possibly going to the peak in the late afternoon of our 2nd day, right after our Ocean Park trip. So that leaves us more time for the Stanley tour on our 3rd day, and yes, I almost forgot, time to pack our bags for the transfer to Novotel. How's that?
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Your AE pass can definitely let you out at Kowloon station. No problem.

Seriously, I don't think the line for the Peak Tram will be that long, even on a Sunday.

But in general, you really don't need to overplan. Doesn't take that long to wander around the Peak or Stanley. Buses are frequent in most parts of Hong Kong. YOu're going until November, so don't need to worry too much, except for accommodations.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes I suppose it's really the accommodations that I need to decide on. But then rates for November are not available yet for most places at this time. I'm actually hoping now to get a place at Hongkong such as YWCA at McDonnel Road or Bishop Lei as much of the things we will do will be at the Hongkong side. I plan to book just one room for triple occupancy (beds for my husband and I plus our 11year-old kid). I hope they will allow our 8 and 5 year old kids to stay at our room for free as they will just share our bed. If not, since we will be out of the hotel most of the time, I am thinking of booking at USA Hostel located at Mirador Mansion, Nathan Road, Kowloon.
BTW, when they mention &quot;self-catering kitchen&quot; among amenities, what does this usually mean? Are there usually a stove and cooking utensils shared by hostel guests?
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Keep in mind that hotel rooms in Hong Kong are very small. And a double room means two single beds. Even if they allow it, you'll be extremely cramped with 5 people in a room no matter how small the kids are.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That probably means the 4-bed configuration at the Mirador will be more comfortable for us rather than any standard room at a hotel.

You have been very helpful. I'll be reviewing my plans sometime around August when hotel rates and schedule of other events in November will most likely be available already. Hope to hear from you again.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I would not recommend any family with 3 young kids to stay at any hostels at the Mirador or Chungking Mansions.

Just how tight is your budget?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -