Search

Yangtze River

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Irving

Yangtze River

Would someone please tell me the practical difference between the down-stream cruise and the up-stream cruise. The down-stream seems to be more expensive; why?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Peter Neville-Hadley

Slogging up to Chongqing against the current involves more nights on board, more meals, more fuel, and more expense to the shipping company in general, so travellers often wonder why whizzing down to Wuhan with the current costs more money.<BR><BR>The answer usually given in Chongqing is: <BR><BR>"Express boat!"<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Dave

I suspect that downstream is more expensive because there is more demand, which is because 4 nights seems to be enough, and the fifth night unnecessary.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:10 AM
cruise lover

Dave,<BR><BR>You got it right. That's what I found out too.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 02:49 PM
LUCY

WOULD YOU RATHER DO THE YANTZE RIVER TOUR OR LI RIVER TOUR?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 11:13 AM
David

Personally, I think Yang Tze river tour is overrated. Sure, some portions are nice but the river is dirty and polluted. If you have four to six days to "waste" go to Yang Tze tour. I say waste since from the boat you can't really see much especially when it's raining or foggy which happens quite often. You'll spend 98 percent of the time on the boat.<BR><BR>Li river on the other hand is very clean. The view from the boat is unbeliveably beautiful and the tour only takes four hours. When it is foggy the view is even more beautiful. My advice, don't eat your lunch in the dining room. Bring your own sandwich, skip the lunch (even though it is a good lunh). Otherwise you'll miss some of nicest view while eating lunch.<BR><BR>I took both in May 2001.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Houston

My wife and I are going to China in May 2002 on a tour that includes a 4 day trip on the Yangtze River. Any information of the cruise would be appreciated.