Reload this Page >

Safe in Indonesia?

Search

Safe in Indonesia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Anna

Safe in Indonesia?

Me and my boyfriend are planning a trip to Indonesia, but we've heard that it might be dangerous in different ways. Anyone who has recently been there (Sumatra, Java and Bali) and can give us some advice?<BR><BR>Merry Christmas!<BR>/Anna

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Baliite

Bali is safe but the rest of the country is chaos.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Made

Bali of course is very safe, one of the reasons is that it is Hindu. However, the rest of Indonesia is very safe for tourists. Indonesia is a huge country and the widely publicized separatist and inter-ethnic clashes are sporadic and only involve Indonesians, not tourists. I travel frequently throughout Indonesia and have never had any problems at all, even in the small villages and during crowded demonstrations in parts of Jakarta. You simply wait for it to blow over and then everything is back to normal.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Raffaella

Message for made: have you been the "Molucche", we would like to go next august.<BR>Thank you.<BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Waki

It's true that Indonesia has many trouble spots, and is a poorly policed, third world country. But don't believe they bad press -especially the one coming from people who claim to know much about Indonesia while never leaving their Bali reduct.<BR>Indonesia has several trouble spots (the Moluccas are generally off-limits; so is Aceh and the Poso region of Central Sulawesi. Irian Jaya may be tricky too, but I'm told well worth it.).<BR>Moreover, Indonesia is safer than other places in some other ways. For a country so large, it has very little crime and there's almost no hostility toward foreigners.<BR>And, best of all, it's a wonderful, wonderful country.<BR>The Torajan highlands in South Sulawesi, Lombok, Yogyakarta and its ancient temples, Lakes Toba and Meninjau in Sumatra, Flores and Alor, the Banyuwangi forests, Kalimantan river trips and orangutans, diving in Manado (No. Sulawesi) or Bira (So. Sulawesi) - are all simply spectacular. And safe.<BR>You'll be sure that whoever tells you otherwise, probably has never been there.<BR>I am a foreign diplomat from a western country based in Indonesia, and we're leaving pretty soon. So we have no stake in misrepresenting what's here.<BR>Me and my wife have travelled Indonesia well and have enjoyed it thoroughly. You will too, if you avoid the hot spots and use tha same judgment you would use while traveling in a developing country.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Aarti

Indonesia is very safe. Im a foreigner and i've been living here for the past 3 years and i've never had any problems. Dont believe what they show you on tv.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Marti

No don't believe the TV when you see riots and police and fires and bombs in Indonesia because its all "rent a crowd" and while you are at it make sure that you feed the fairy sitting on the pink elephant at the bottom of your garden.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Sweet

I am sorry Waki but I don't believe that you are a diplomat because no one with any kind of education says "me and my wife" its " my wife and I" or "my wife and me" never "me" first. <BR>I too have lived and worked in Indonesia and let me tell you that crime is rife, corruption is everywhere and rip-offs are the norm. Being pestered by touts is also an annoying thing too. Indonesia is a third world country with terrible pollution, filth and dirt that goes with that. The only places that are clean are the International hotels, if you look further you find things you would prefer not to. <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:59 AM
angie

Hey, I've had so many different views that I have come to the conclusion that it's both. Some friends have had terrible experiences while others have had wonderful. I think there is violence, danger, and all things mentioned on the message boards. However, one of my friends said the Indonesians are the friendliest people and the country is beautiful. With all the facts, everyone must decide what they are looking for in a vacation and go for it.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Tu Tu

Hey Sweet,<BR><BR>Maybe Waki is not from an English speaking country - ever thought bout dat? Duh.. you be a engrish teacher Sweet? <BR><BR>Indonesia has her problems but she's a beautiful country if you care to visit. If you're a moron like Sweet, stay in a Engrish speking cuntry!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Sweet

For your information Tu Tu smart Arse, all diplomats speak English and would never make a gramatical mistake like that. My father was a diplomat and we lived all over the world and for what its worth even people in 3rd world countries who are just ordinary people know the 'rules' of English. If he hadn't spoken so much rubbish about the place then I probably would have over looked what he said but to even suggest that anyone should go to Irian Jaya or Flores is like asking someone to jump from a 10 story building and see what it feels like 'cause its quite safe. Probably when you have been there you could go and do a stint in the West Bank with the Palestinians.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Tu Tu

I think you're wrong there girl! Pres. Bush can't even speak da english and he's some sort of a diplomat!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Tu Tu

I think you're wrong there girl! Pres. Bush can't even speak da engrish and he's some sort of a diplomat isn't him?<BR><BR>If ya don wanna go some where den don't go!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Pakula

Tu Tu does have a point there mate!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:02 PM
pakula2

I have never heard Bush make a gramatical mistake like that one Tu and Pac. He may have some strange sayings but gramatical mistakes he does not have. At least he knows that people in Latin America don't speak Latin!! <BR>If I were you I would not joke about any American not being able to use the Queen's English. It has been bastardized enough by them as it is.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Sarah

GraMMatical takes two Ms!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Barf

Sarah thats a spelling mistake or a typo not a grammatical mistake!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 05:08 PM
lord ho ho

This proofs that no body here has a high degree of education and that non of you are from an English speaking country!<BR><BR>DAMM FOREIGNERS!