Xi'an - worth the trip?

Search

Xi'an - worth the trip?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xi'an - worth the trip?

I will be in Biejing for 6 nights and am wondering if I should take a two day/1 night trip to Xi'an. I've already made my hotel reservation in Beijing, but hopefully, they would let me cut out one night. I would just plan on buying the plan ticket once in Beijing - but I'm just wondering if it's really worth all the effort?
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 01:59 AM

I thought it was worth it. It is quite amazing to see the terracotta warriors in person -- though the ambience is lacking as they are under a huge (stadium sized) enclosure. If you only had a few days in Bejiing the travel time wouldn't be worth it, but with 6 nights I'd do it.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:52 AM

All there is to see in Xian are the terracota warriors and not much else ( if I recall, we didn't even stay the night there). So do bear in mind that when you purchase that air ticket.

On the other hand, they are after all quite an icon and millions make the trip so if you do get bored in Beijing with nothing to do, why not?

Have fun!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 04:03 AM

Wow, there is SO much more to see in Xian than just the warriors, too bad you missed all the other good stuff Celine! There is a great museum, very interesting old town areas including the area around the Muslim mosque, the city wall and interesting areas around there, a drum and bell tower that are better preserved and more interesting IMO than the ones in Beijing and the Pagoda. There is also great shopping, esp in the area around the mosque. Outside of Xian there is the ancient man site (not far from the warriors site) and numerous burial mounds in the loess countryside. A really fascinating place. You could easily spend two nights there, but if you time your flights to arrive early and depart late and budget your time wisely, then one night should be enough. You will also appreciate escaping the dust and pollution of Beijing. I have been twice for about 3 days each and would happily go back, it is probably my favourite city in China outside of Hong Kong.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Totally agree with Cicerone. Xi'an is the capital of China during the two most influential and powerful dynasties of all of China's history - the West Han (206BC -24AD), and Tang (618-907AD), in addition to being the capital of the "first" emperor Qin Shihuang. Xi'an is known as Changan back then. Lots of stuff to see, all ancient.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM

I tend to agree with some elements of all the replies. If you have the time and curiosity to get into one of the surrounding digs/museums, go for it. If you are there to only hit the highlights, then I agree see the warriors and bolt back to Beijing. I'd even recommend doing the whole trip in 1 day if the airline schedule allows (leave early AM-see warriors-return late PM). Alhtough if you have time, do see the pagodas downtown and cool temple w/ giant statues out front just West of the big pagoda behind construction fences. The warriors are on the E-NE part of the town, the airport NW. Check out the film in the circular center and try to listen to both the simultaneous Chinese and English narrations and hope you do't go insane. Great acting jobs, as well! Good luck.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's suggestions. I hope that the logistics make sense - i am just going to look into it once i'm in china. would love to see the warriors and some of the other interesting sites mentioned.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:12 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to China in March last year and we did Beijing, Xi'an and Hong Kong. Xi'an was a bit of a shock to the system but it was great to see the warriors in person. I have posted a trip report with pictures on my homepage gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can get some useful info there

Regards
gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks gard - i just checked out your site. looks like you guys had a great trip. two quick questions - when you arrived at beijing airport, did you already have your hotel written in madarin. otherwise, how did you tell your taxi driver where to go? i am debating whether or not to have the hotel pick me up. i think it would be easier, but much more expensive. so i'm leaning toward the taxi option.

second, how did you find your great wall tour?
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:39 PM

Hi

I think that we did have the name of the hotel in Chinese because our driver did take us to the right place (unlike in Xi'an ).

We booked the trip to the Great Wall at Simatai in the lobby of our hotel. I have described it in the trip report including the price. The name of the company was Dragon bus tours.

Regards
Gard
gardkarlsen.com