Reload this Page >

Xian TerraCotta Warriors

Search

Xian TerraCotta Warriors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 01:07 PM
jamie

Xian TerraCotta Warriors

Hello - we just returned from our trip to Beijing, Xian and Shanghai. I would like to thank everyone for their helpful travel tips <BR> <BR>I just wanted to pass along the information that you can take your camera into the terra cotta warriors and take pictures! I had been told by many that we wouldn't be able to take pictures and was really surprised when our guide told us that everyone is doing it now and just to make sure that a guard is not standing right in front of you when you start taking photos.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Lizz

Hi Jamie,Thanks for the info. I leave 3 weeks from tomorrow for Beijing. Will be in china/Bangkok for 3 weeks. I like reading the posts here. They have been very helpful. People have been so nice to send answers. Glad you had a good trip. I can hardly wait.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 12:59 AM
Gayle

Hi Jamie thanks for the tip, anything else or a report of your trip would be great if you have time to post one.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:54 PM
xxx

Sounds like you lucked out on getting to take your photos. It all depends on the guards on duty at any given time. The first time I visited last year, I had no problem snapping a few photos. But then when I was there last month, one of the guards threatened to haul away one of the fellow tourists for trying to snap a photo. Apparently the flashes are very damaging to the warriors over time and therefore, photography is forbidden. Considering the damage that can be done, I know understand why it's so important to abide by the rules. I would hate for them to ever shut off this treasure just because a few people broke the rules and insisted on taking photos.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Les

I would agree with the posting by XXX (probably not his real name). <BR>I understand that, when first unearthed, the terra cotta statues still retain their original bright coloring, but that within minutes of exposure (to light(?), air(?)), the color fades. I can understand, then, that long-term exposure to flashes would be detrimental.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Mickey

Did you take a tour package or on your own? If a package -- what tour group did you use, and would you recommend them? I plan to go there in 3 weeks. Thanks!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Mary Soleil

We just returned from China as well. When we visited the terracotta warriors our guide also advised that taking pictures was no problem. As a matter of fact people were actually taking pictures with the guards standing right beside them. I think it is the exposure to the air that caused the warriors to lose their colour. But I know that in Greece photography is permitted by not flash in the archaelogical sites. It certainly was a non-issue when were in Xian.