Would You Go to Thailand Now

Old Dec 6th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would You Go to Thailand Now

Just hoping to get some opinions from folks about whether one should try to travel to Thailand right now.

The wife and I are looking for a short beach trip over Christmas (out of CPH or ZRH). When we first started thinking about this, the airport blockade was going on and so we concentrated on the Carribean and Mexico. However, from CPH or ZRH, the schedules to Phuket or Koh Samui give us a bit more ground time, there are some decent deals on places to stay, and the wife likes the cheap massages on the beach.

So, would you go? I have been to both and might end up there again, so it isn't like this is the trip of a lifetime or anything, but getting stuck would be a major inconvenience. But, it seems like a) things have blown over and b) the most discontent is in BKK, and the risk of HKT or USM closing is much less.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Given the state of the world these days, I would say Thailand is as "safe" as any place else.

You are correct that the chances of USM closing are slim, but to get to Samui, you'll have to transit someplace, like Bangkok, so if it looks like the airport could close again, then you'd still be in trouble.

Phuket is a little more likely to get the same treatment as Bangkok (it has already happened once) but your chances of getting a direct flight to Phuket are much higher, so it's perhaps a lower risk.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM

I think it will be okay to go to Thailand now. One side benefit is that many hotels have reduced prices and there will be fewer tourists getting in your way.

PAD was not targeting tourists, they had a political statement to make and they got the world's attention doing it!

One newspaper I read reported that the leaders of PAD said that they would not disrupt any airports in the future. I guess they are getting a lot of pressure from businessmen who have lost money from this airport blockade.

You can keep up with Thai news by reading this newspaper:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/

For local Thai information from an expats point of view the Thai Visa Forum is very helpful and they will update you with breaking news.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thaila...pings-f18.html

I was there when the first flights were canceled. I had my airline transfer my departure to Singapore (at no extra charge to me.) From Bangkok I used a train to get to Hat Yai near the bottom of Thailand, from there I went from the Malaysia border to Butterworth where I took a train through Kalua Lumpur to Singapore. Flew out of Singapore on Sunday morning, was home in the US Sunday night November 30 late at night.

So, go for the trip and hope for the best - however - keep a plan "B" on the back burner!

Good luck.

Old Dec 6th, 2008, 04:39 AM

go!!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM

There are lots of Euro charters arriving in Phuket as they always do this time of year. Flights from CPH, OSL, Gotheburg(sp), Stockholm plus a lot of Finnair flights. Transaero from Moscow. I don't know the other charter airlines but certainly plenty of them.

I read that 'Speis'(?) Danish tour operator has reported 15% increase over 2007 for their direct Phuket flights a the moment. OK that is probably a lot who have changed to Southern Thailand but those charters are coming in and Phuket still has full flights arriving from Australian long haul budget airline Jetstar.
So heading direct into Phuket ( you can fly in 50 mins with Bangkok Airways from there to Samui ) also for Khao Lak, krabi, Koh lanta etc seems just fine.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM

That should be 'Spies Denmark '.

http://www.spies.dk

Perhaps one of the times when going with a tour operator might make sense
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM

No question - I'd go. But you have to decide if you'd feel comfortable.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Yes.....Go !!!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM

I'm going back on Wednesday. No problem.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM

No, I wouldn't go. A PAD protestor was shown on TV saying if they don't like the new PM then they'll be back to the airport to shut it down again. Now that they know the government is impotent, and no one will stop them, not the police or military, they'll do it agin. We were stuck in Phuket for 6 days and it cost us $500 in one way tickets to get out to KL.
Phuket isn't safe either-the PAD shut that airport down a few montrhs ago for 2 days and may do it again. Thailand is on the brink of civil war. You may find the travel insurance companies may not cover travel there in the future.
If all you want is a beach, go the the Caribean or Mexico. The beach and resorts on Phuket could be a beavh anywhere in the world-absolutley no local cultere at all. And quite expensive too.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM

No, I wouldn't go. A PAD protestor was shown on TV saying if they don't like the new PM then they'll be back to the airport to shut it down again. Now that they know the government is impotent, and no one will stop them, not the police or military, they'll do it agin. We were stuck in Phuket for 6 days and it cost us $500 in one way tickets to get out to KL.
Phuket isn't safe either-the PAD shut that airport down a few montrhs ago for 2 days and may do it again. Thailand is on the brink of civil war. You may find the travel insurance companies may not cover travel there in the future.
If all you want is a beach, go the the Caribean or Mexico. The beach and resorts on Phuket could be a beach anywhere in the world-absolutley no local culture at all. And quite expensive too.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Susie
Your situation is certainly regrettable; but I am going back to Bangkok in a matter of days.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Well, I don't want to stop the discussion, but just wanted to say that I decided against going to Thailand.

It wasn't an issue with the safety or anything like that, but more a cost decision. For these dates, Mexico was simply a better value. Since this is just a beach vacation, there was no real benefit to Thailand over other beach resorts.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM

TG-I agree. For a pure beach vacation, The Caribbean is better than Thailand. Of course, we haven't been on a pure BV since 2001. Now, we just use the beach as a place to rejuvenate while in Asia.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Two words: Chai Laew!
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Going on from what Susiesan wrote - when has Thailand ever been on the verge of a civil war? This idea has been begot due to the sensationalist foreign media who blow up stories to sell their papers.

The latest political news is extremely positive. The Democrat party is on the verge of becoming the new govt after members of the former ruling party and govt coalition parties defected.
The previous ruling party (PPP now Pheua Thai) is desperately trying to woo back the defectors. They are doing this with the promise of allowing a member of the coalition parties to become the new PM.

In either scenario, the PAD has promised not to start any new protests.

Instead of relying on last months news, it's better to get up-to-date and monitor the situation. Best source is
www.nationmultimedia.com
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM

How can anyone advise, due to possible unrest/safety factors, to go to Mexico instead!
I've lived in Mexico before (live in Thailand now) and can tell you that here is twenty times safer or tourists/foreigners.

Old Dec 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Sorry, but one more thing.

I've also lived in Phuket and contrary to what someone posted above, the island is a melting pot of culture. Ok, the three main Patong, Karon, Kata beaches certainly lack in culture, but then again what beach resorts around the world are a bastion of culture?

Phuket Town has some of the best Portuguese architecture to be seen (in fact, foreigners have been coming to Phuket since the 17th centruy). Not only is the island a historical one, but there is also a great mix of Thai-Chinese/Muslim and Sea Gypsies culture/traditions.

Phuket is also home to the largest assortment of festivals in Thailand.

Getting away from the beach, you'll be enjoying more cultural diversity than perhaps anywhere else in Thailand.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

<i>due to possible unrest/safety factors, to go to Mexico instead!</i>

As stated above, the decision was a purely economic one. Besides, I think you are overplaying the crime rates in most of tourist Mexico. Tijuana is one thing, your typical Mexican beach resort is quite another.

Personally, I was never concerned for my safety in Thailand, I was merely concerned about the possibility of inconvenience - regardless of whether you are ever in danger, having to wait at least a week longer to catch a flight home is not something I have the time or inclination to do. Indeed, the OP that you are referring to never stated that they felt unsafe (though I wouldn't fault them if they did), they merely stated that they had to spend almost an extra week and a decent amount of extra money to get out of the country. Not fun.

I'm glad the OP posted their perspective. You may take seriously the promises of PAD, but I'm not certain I do.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Has anyone heard the latest as to what's happening in thailand now?? I keep reading that the country is on the verge of civil war and airlines might be re-routing to other countries because of a 40% decline in tourism. I thought there was to be an election today but not sure how the outcome will effect the potential of continued unrest. Have a trip planned there next month and still trying to decide if it's safe to go. Protests against the gov't is one thing but some travel alerts are making reference to potential terroristic activities at tourist sights. Any news??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -