Working as a massage therapist in Japan

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working as a massage therapist in Japan

Hi there,

I am a qualified massage therapist with many years experience working overseas in spa's. Does anyone know of ways in which you can apply or look for work in Japan as a therapist? Do you believe that you would have to be fluent in Japanese to work in a hotel? or could you find work in a niche market looking after foriegners? Has anybody done this. Would love to know ..

Thanks

Nipponman
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For being the real thing, you need a license (a Japanese one, not a qualification from overseas...it involves taking tests). You would certainly need to be fluent in Japanese...maybe not for the job, but for the test.

There are, though, plenty of places that are not spas that also offer massage that will hire attractive women regardless of visa status, language skills, nationality...I don't think this is what you are after, though, is it?

The world of work for foreigners who do not speak Japanese is very limited...mostly to language teaching, hostess bars and similar establishments, and the occasional restaurant dishwasher or prep/cleaning. Factories often hire foreigners for the jobs no one else will do for a low salary. Language teaching is by far the easiest and "cleanest."