Reload this Page >

Woman Travels Japan Alone???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Christine

I am a 28 year old woman traveling alone in Japan for 3 weeks in April into May. Never been before. I will be in Tokyo, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe. I know it is during Golden Week holiday time. I have booked a Railpass, Hotels, Airline etc. Is it safe? Any thoughts on the trip to share? Any help--MUCH appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Christine

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:21 PM
lcuy

I can honestly say I have never been scared in Japan, whether alone or with my family. That said, I would avoid certain parts of Tokyo late at night if I was a female alone...Some men seem to believe being totally drunk gives them license to misbehave. <BR>Since you have already set your itinerary, I'll just confirm that these are great cities and all have lots to do. You'll have a great time.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:30 PM
jen

Japan is a very safe country with low crime rate. I'm also 28 yrs old and travelled by myself for 1 week in Tokyo and Hakone last year. Never did I feel unsafe. In fact, felt much safer than in European cities or NYC. Never once approached by stranger. I would say as long as you exercise common sense safety (like avoid dark alley way or parks at night)you would be fine.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Ada

Japan is a pretty safe place, especially compares to the US. I don't know what is your nationality- if you are a "Westerner", people might even "stay a little away" from you so to speak. The Japanese culture is more reserved- my friend, white male, asked someone a question, and the person probably didn't speak English and felt embarassed & ran away! This is of course not the norm- people are generally friendly and very polite. You should pick up some basic words and carry one of those phrase books that you can point to. You will have a great time!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Florence

Bonjour Christine,<BR><BR>During Golden week, trains will be crowded. Try to stay put in one place and go for daytrips, and if you have to take trains, pack light.<BR><BR>In more than 20 years of going regularly to Japan, I have never felt unsafe, even walking late at night in dark alleys in big cities, and I've never heard about a female tourist being mugged, pickpocketed, or even harassed (it may have happened, but I never heard of it). As others have said, just exercise common sense, beware of hot sake, it's delicious but deceptive ;-&gt;, avoid seedy areas like Tokyo Kabukicho at night, and nothing more than beeing greeted by a drunk will happen to you (just say "no" in a loud voice and they'll probably just go away).<BR><BR>On the other hand, don't be afraid if someone tries to talk to you in the street or in a restaurant: they'll probably be people wanting to try their English, or "pitying" you for being alone. I've even been invited to visit a perfect stranger's home in Kyoto, just for those two reasons: a young lady with two kids saw me sitting alone on a bench in Yasaka Jinja, came to me asking where I was from, then asked me if I'd like to visit a traditional wooden house and have some tea. She then went on to tell me how she thought I must have felt lonely travelling alone for 3 weeks in a foreign land. <BR><BR>Have a great time.