Wired money but no response

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I am sure I am just being paranoid, but I wired Santa Maria money last week. Since that time I have gotten no response from them. I am leaving in four days for Cambodia first.

Either way, not really good customer service to leave me hanging.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM

dana, it always sounds like wiring money should be almost instant. But when I wired money to India it took about 10 - 12 days for them to receive it.

It doesn't hurt to email them now (if you haven't already) and ask if the wire transfer has been received. Ask them to notify you when it is received, and I'm sure they will do so. Remember the other variable here is the inconsistent internet access to/from Burma.

You will have internet access in Cambodia, and can check in with them.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie,

I think what you are saying is reasonable, but the short timing does worry me. Plus you would think they would respond.

Is there anyway to check on a wire from the sending end? I know the money left my account, but I do not know if it is possible to track it, I guess I can call my bank.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 06:45 AM

I don't know about tracking the transfer. I didn't try to do that.

The other thing that we never think about when sending emails to Burma (or even Thailand) is that they have different holidays than we do, and may have 4 or 5 days when businesses are closed. I've run into that before, wondering why I didn't get a response only to learn (often in a round about way) that I was expecting a response duing a holiday period.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Dana definately email them again. If I am correct Arsty Judy made a comment about the amount of time before she heard about her wire. I know we have wired money to different places around the world & sometimes it has been super fast & other times not so. It certainly doesn't hurt to get in touch with them again though. Did your bank give you an idea of how long it would take?
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM

I've found that even wiring money within the US can take 4 days or so. Our bank sends out wires once a day at 10 am, so usually it happens the next day. The receiving bank only collects them once a day, so that can also involve 2 days. Throw in a weekend or holiday, and it would have been faster to mail it and a lot cheaper! In addition, when we receive wired funds, our bank doesn't notify us, we have to just check our balance.

Check with your bank first. They can confirm that it went out, and possibly confirm that it was received by the bank. Also mail Santa Maria. It may have gone into their account, and they haven't looked for it.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys,

I guess it just made me nervous because both wires went out the same time, and Cambodia responded right away that they received theirs. If we weren't leaving Sunday, it would not bother me as much. I am sure they will get it next week.

I have e-mailed Santa Maria, many many times. I think the fact they did not respond, is what caused me a little panic. But only because we are leaving very shortly. I just hope when we land, they are there.

I will call my bank tomorrow.

Cheers !
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM

Since 9/11 & the Patriot Act there have been more restrictions and more monitoring of International Money Wires. Wires are now taking longer than ever. It seems to keep getting worse. And the Health Care Bill and the Jobs Bill have even more restrictions coming.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Internet in Myanmar is very patchy. Some days its a lot slower than others. This could be a factor. The use of proxy servers also helps to cut down the speed.

Keep emailing.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

All is well ! Okay, I sent a note to the accounting department. And they confirmed the wire had been received !! So actually, they received it pretty quick, but my sale contact did not let me know. I think he is traveling. Yeah to accountants!

Also, just went to the bank and got cash for the remaining balance. Truth be known, I wish I could have wired more.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Make sure your cash is in pristine condition. No creases, marks or anything. (Then see what the kyats you get look like!)
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM

I'm glad it's all resolved, dana. Have a wonderful trip! And do come back and tell us all about it.