Why China?

Jan 29th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Mary

Why China?

My husband and I are trying to plan a 10 day trip beginning April 5th. We are trying to decide between returning to Europe (but to countries that we have not yet visited)or going to China. We have been to countries in the Middle East, but never to the Far East. Can you experienced travelers give us some comments to help with our decision? (Plus if there is a better choice than China as our first Far East experience please advise)
If it matters, we're in our late 30's like cities fine, but also enjoy the outdoors, (but have never done the serious backpacking trips or anything..)

Thanks

To help us decide can

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:21 AM
Andrea

Ooh, definitely come to the Far East. My personal philosophy is that the world is SO big, if you are lucky enough to be able to, you should really try to see many different ways of life. The Far East is wonderful - a real feast for the eyes.

I'm an American who has been working in China for 2 years, so I'm not the most unbiased source for reasons to visit China . . .

We do some whirlwind vacations ("if it's Tuesday we must be in Paris"), and some where we pick one base and really get to know the area. If I had 10 days in the Far East, I might choose the whirlwind route. It will be REALLY hard to prioritize, but I'd say perhaps (not listing travelling times but taking them into consideration) 2 full days in Beijing, possibly 1 day in Xian, 1 full day in Hong Kong, and then 2-3 days each in either Thailand, Angkor, Vietnam, or somewhere else that grabs you.

I would recommend both Beijing and Hong Kong for a good taste of China.

Jan 30th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Florence

Definitely go to the far East. Europe, even the eastern part, will remain the same for quite a long time, whereas the far East is changing at a fast pace. Don't miss the opportunity.

DO let yourself be influenced by "biased" people like Andrea: they are your best source for first hand informations and shared enthousiasm.

Jan 30th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Michael

I agree with the ladies. I've been to Europe over the years and most recently Russia and the CIS. Not much change.

However I've been to China and Hong Kong over 30 times in the last decade and have seen a lot of change. I know that the next time I travel to China lots will have changed, and I feel fortunate to have seen what was.

Don't delay; spend at least a week in Beijing, a day in Xi'an, a day or two in Shanghai, and at least a couple of days in Hong Kong.

Be glad to help with details.

Cheers.

Jan 30th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Meg

We chose China this past May over another European vacation. Where else can you see the terra cotta soldiers, climb the Great Wall, cruise the Yangtze, see the misty mountains of Guilin, visit the Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven and experience world-class shopping in a cosmopolitan city like Hong Kong? It was an adventure. Thailand was our first Asian trip - and we are planning a second visit in the coming years. Asia is an assault on your senses. Enjoy!

Jan 30th, 2001, 09:14 AM
pat

Mary
I do know it may be strange if I let you know that i have chosen China to be one of two separate honeymoon trip. It will be 10 days as yours, to Shanghi, Hangjoul, Sujoul and Peking. It is so huge, but can be like western world in Shanghi, and also can be a quiet old charm depends on where you are.
Don't hesitate to taste the asian value.

Welcome to Asia.

Jan 30th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Scott

Have been to Europe 3X and to Asia once. The trip to Asia was after 2 trips to Europe. Had I know then what I
know now, I would have gone to China before my 2nd Europe trip.

You MUST experience Asia. It will open your eyes so much more to travel than going to Europe again. The world is in fact large, try to try as many regions as you can before returning.

Feb 4th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Martha

Mary -

I agree with previous posts. I would do something different and experience China. I went to China for the first time last November and loved the experience. It was so different than Europe. I especially loved the Great Wall - totally wonderful place. Beijing was a great "big" city. A truly unique experience.

Martha