Search

which trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which trip?

here are the three trips we are considering for our first trip to japan (we know a little japanese) and would love suggestions/changes or PLACES TO STAY in each location which are less american (ie not howard johnson)unless that really is the best thing...

first trip idea:
Tokyo - 3 days (1 is an arrival day, Narita)
Kamakura? - 1 day
Matsumotq and / or Nakasendo - 2 day
Kyoto - 3 days (1 day in Nara)
departure day (Kansai)

second trip idea:
From Tokyo,
to Matsumoto (1 day),
Takayama (2 day)
Kanazawa (1 day)
Kyoto (3 days)

third trip idea:
4 nights Tokyo(day trip to Kamakura 1 day)
1 night Hakone
2 nights Takayama
4 nights Kyoto (day trip to Nara 1 day)

any suggestions? any changes which one do you recommend

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

also should we fly in and out of toyko? or another airport?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Firstly, I've only been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Nara. So can't give you any comments on the other destinations.

Tokyo is a pretty large city, there isn't a city center, there're quite a few hubs. If you want to explore Tokyo, I suggest you go with the third trip option. I spent 6 days in Tokyo last year, and felt that there was still a lot left to do, and it was a pretty hectic trip. Especially if you want to cover the major tourist areas as well as off path areas.

I just came back from a trip to Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. So here's some tips. A must visit area in Kyoto is the hills on the east side. You get to see some of the major temples as well as small streets lined with traditional Japanese houses.

In Nara, I suggest you rent a bicycle, much easier and more pleasant way to get around. I believe the Lonely Planet tells you where you can rent, or just ask at the tourist information center at Nara station.

As with airports, I think Kansai is much more pleasant as there're less people. Narita in Tokyo is almost always packed, and long queues to check in, through customs etc. But I believe there're more international to Narita thatn Kansai.

For places to stay, if you want to stay away from major tourist hotels, you might want to stay at a ryokan, which is a traditional japanese inn or a Minshuku, kind of like privately run pensions. Check out http://www.ryokan.or.jp/ and http://www.minshuku.co.jp/

Have fun! And hope this is useful.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

yes we would like to see a little city but get a good feel for old japan and of course get to an onsen if possible.

which airport is the best to fly into and out of when coming from the states?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:02 AM

Bonjour Addwag,

fourth trip idea:

Enter through Osaka-Kansai airport
Kyoto 5 nights (1 daytrip to Nara)
1-2 days Himeji, Kurashiki, Setonaikai (inland sea)
4-5 days Shikoku island (Takamatsu, Kochi, Naruto)
Return to Osaka-Kansai by boat from Tokushima ...

In any case, always try to enter through Narita and leave from Kansai or vice-versa, that maximizes the time you spend visiting vs commuting.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

why did you chose that option and how do you take a boat back?

do you have any hotel recommendations for those places as well?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 01:46 AM

As far as the airport is concerned I have only used Narita and found it to be fine; although it is supposed to have a poor, non-user-friendly reputation. I have not had a problem. Train services from Narita to Tokyo are really good.

I have not been to Takayama (what did I miss?)so cannot comment. Other comments I would make are as follows, (these are largely repeats of an earlier post to another thread);

Kamakura was great. We tried to do it in one day but did not have nearly enough time. Saw a couple of temples, the tree lined walk down the centre of the main street and Daibutsu (watch for the squirrels). Went by train from Ueno, got off at the station before Kamakura (something like North Kamakura) and walked seeing temples on the way, easy trip. Got to say that Kamakura was absolutely crowded the day we were there, reminiscent of Shinjuku (I exaggerate of course - nothing is like Shinjuku!!)

My favourite temple/historic site was actually Nikko, another easy train journey from Tokyo. We took a twenty minute walk from the station to the temple and back. Enjoyed a snack in a tiny Yakitori Bar on the way back - look out for the foreign currency pinned to the wall. I was inspired by Nikko so much that I spent a large part of the following year researching the life and times of Tokugawa Ieyasu - truly incredible!!! The day we were there it was fairly quiet.

Also must say I found Tokyo absolutely fascinating.

We actually stayed with family in a place called Ichinowari, which is in Kasukabe, which is in Saitama, which is part of the Tokyo connurbation (is that spelt right?) Even though it was part of the suburban spread it was like living in a "village". Sharing the daily life of the people of Ichinowari was one of the all time highlights of our travels. Loved it; loved it; loved it.

If, like me, you are at all a lover of food (not to say a glutton) you must go to the food basements in the major department stores. My son and I spent ages sampling free chocolate and other confectionery in a store above the Ginza railway station. The staff do not pressure you to buy and are so polite. If you give them an "arigato gozaimasu" they blush and giggle in the most delightful way.

As someone else mentioned Tokyo consists of many hubs rather than one city centre. There is a lot to do and see in Tokyo, such as Yoyogi Park on Sunday, Shinjuku at rush hour, Tower Records Shinjuku - the worlds largest. There is so much more!

Any chance of fitting Hiroshima into your trip?

I hope your journey is as enjoyable as was ours
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Bonjour Addwag,

Since Baku* seems to have eaten my answer ...

I've suggested Shikoku and the inland sea as an area that is less visited by both Japanese and Westerners, although still very easy to travel to and within. Its rythm of life is slower and all looks a bit like the mainland about 30 years ago (except electricity and plumbing that are up to latest standard).

There are a number of ferries linking the main ports with Shikoku, and I had planned to return to Tokyo via Tokushima, which we cancelled last time because I tend to get terribly seasick. You can easily book tickets at the tourist office and the stations in Takamatsu and Tokushima.

In addition of being a bit more "Japanese" and less "touristy" than the mainland, Shikoku offers a great deal of nature, temples (88 stages pilgrimage that the virtuous accomplish on foot in about 3 months), craft, fantastic food, etc.

We've stayed at the Takamatsu City Hotel (cheap, well located, but rather bland business hotel), and Hama Hotel in Naruto (big room, friendly, calm). You can easily find other accomodations via the Japanese Inn Group or Welcome inns group.

Takamatsu is a typical provincial city with good shopping, museums, food, and attractions nearby. Naruto offers a spectacular view over the whirlpools of Naruto straits, and a number of other surprising attractions.

All in all, Shikoku offers more of the "real Japan" that everybody is talking about ;-)

* Baku is a mythological creature not unlike a tapir that was reputed swallowing all kinds of things, among them dreams.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone!!

once we fly into Narita are there any recommendations for places to stay there (and how many nights should we spend?)
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 12:00 AM

Sorry addwag but if it were me I'd be on the first train to Tokyo, unless it was after midnight and they'd stopped running!! I would not be able to restrain my enthusiasm for Tokyo.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

ok then once we fly in to narita; where should we go/stay?
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

it also looks like these are the two trip ideas we have it narrowed down too; OPINIONS??

4 nights Tokyo(day trip to Kamakura 1 day)
1 night Hakone
2 nights Takayama
4 nights Kyoto (day trip to Nara 1 day)

or

Enter through Osaka-Kansai airport
Kyoto 5 nights (1 daytrip to Nara)
1-2 days Himeji, Kurashiki, Setonaikai (inland sea)
4-5 days Shikoku island (Takamatsu, Kochi, Naruto)
Return to Osaka-Kansai by boat from Tokushima ...

we are both into video games and elkectronics but would also very much like to see the historic temples, shrines etc of japan
I have also heard you can stay in buddhist temples ?? any info on that

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:18 PM

personally, i like trip #1 because of the visit to hakone. it was one of my favorite places on my trip. also visited tokyo (of course), kamakura, kyoto, nara and loved each. it's been over 10 years, but i have a feeling these places have remained essentially the same as when i was there. hope you have a fabulous trip. Susan
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks susan; does anyone have recommendations for hostels/small inns etc in that area then?