Notices

which forts in india

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What forts in india to visit

My wife and I will be in India next year (we hope) she is not into what she calls "broken walls" old historic buildings. Thus I want to limit her exposure to multiple forts.
I know that every city has a special fort and there are also various forts in the countryside. Which ones would you absolutely recommend visiting.

We will be in Delhi, Agra, Varansi, Jaipur, Udaipu and Jodhpur. thanks for the help

David J
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi David - sounds like an interesting trip you are planning. I think this thread will get moved to the India tag where you’ll hopefully get some help.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

which forts in india

My wife and I will hopefully visit Inida in January. She is not into visiting too many of whta she calls "broken walls" historic sights.

What forts are the best to visit?

We will be in Delhi, Varanasi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur,
Udaipur and Jaisalmer

Thanks for the help

David J
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 04:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
My favorite is Jodhpur, both to visit & to see from below lit up at night while having a drink & dinner on the rooftop of my old town accommodation. It's a real presence looming over the old city. I've stayed in several places in Jodhpur & much prefer a humble guesthouse in that part of town for that reason than one of the palace hotels on the fringes.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The three Js. The walls are not broken, find a guidebook with pictures.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:10 PM

a. Agra Fort has a lot of history behind it. If you have already read the 'Peacock Throne', by an American author Waldemar Hansen, you will love the locale at Agra.
b. Amber Fort, Jaipur is very well kept and you do have the pleasure of getting up on a elephant uptill the Gate. Lovely views from the ramparts and a beautiful Palace of mirrors!
c. Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur is my favourite...excellent architecture, beautiful artefacts within, from the ramparts great views and replete with history. Great to approach in the evening when the declining sun is appropriate for photography!
d. Jaisalmer Fort is different from the rest, in that people still stay inside the fort. It is what may be called a 'living fort'! And a must see to appreciate how in medieval India, the forts were a city-within, for the locals in time of strife, which was ever present, due to lack of a central authority and the marauders arriving through the Bolan pass to get at the riches of India!
And do tell your better half these are not 'broken walls'...and just as you have had your American cowboys, we had our Rajput chieftains, quick of temper but large-hearted gentlemen!!!
Happy travels!
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:37 PM

I agree with the above, Jaiselmer Fort is unique. My first trip to India I stayed awhile within the walls overlooking the town outside the walls. Pretty spectacular. If you manage 2 forts then include Jaiselmer & stay inside with a view if you can manage it, though there are very nice accommodations outside as well. Second visit I stayed outside & enjoyed it though a very different experience.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:43 PM

Oops, I just realized that this was posted twice, also in the Lounge. To reiterate from earlier today, my reply on the Lounge thread:

My favorite is Jodhpur, both to visit & to see from below lit up at night while having a drink & dinner on the rooftop of my old town accommodation. It's a real presence looming over the old city. I've stayed in several places in Jodhpur & much prefer a humble guesthouse in that part of town for that reason than one of the palace hotels on the fringes.
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please do NOT ride an elephant!

Plenty of info on the web as to why not, but you could start here:

51033_Elephant_Welfare.pdf
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 10:12 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Asia Forum and merged with your 2nd thread. Tagged for India

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 17th, 2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 12:05 AM

If you are really interested in viewing the true forts and you like the adventure. I would recommend the forts in Maharashtra like Lohgar fort, Rajgar fort etc. We visited Lohgar last year and it was an incredible experience.
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 11:25 PM

How about staying in an Indian Fort? If that was an inclination, there are several Forts in Rajasthan one could very well stay in. Here, however, I would like to stay in a Battle-Fort. You will have noticed there are two forts in Jaipur: Amber Fort & Jaigarh Fort. While Amber Fort was a residential fort for the then Royalty, Jaigarh on the hill above is a Battle-Fort, with a secret passage, to the former. In times of strife the royalty escaped into a better fortified and rugged Fort Jaigarh. Now since the Jaipur royals had connections of marriage with the Mughals, they were indeed a powerful state, and a marauder thought twice of molesting them! On the other hand, the Maharanas of Udaipur, were always at loggerheads with the Mughals. The Fort at Chittaur was devastated, ruined and reconstruction forbidden, for it served as a rallying point to the Rajputs of Mewar. That was the state of affairs till the time Emperor Shahjehan (then Prince Khurram) took refuge at Udaipur (c.1623), after which the state diplomatic relations improved with the Mughals. The City Palace Udaipur is iconic and must-visit. It has a wonderful Crystal Gallery and many artefacts of interest.
To my knowledge, there is only one Battle-fort in Rajasthan, which is Fort Sardargarh, where one can stay. This locates about 60mi short of Udaipur, while driving down from Jaipur. While one portion is residential, with some great suites overlooking the local lake, a substantial part is still in ruins, brought about by the guns of Yashwant Rao Holkar in the 19th century. You also have some other very charming and prominent Fort Palaces in Rajasthan, to name a few, Fort Ramathra; Fort Chanoudgarh; Rohet; Shahpura Bagh...
Stay Safe ladies and gentlemen!