Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where Would you Stay in KL & Guide Suggestions

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

We will be stopping over in Kuala Lumpar on our way home from New Zealand. We don't have a lot of time in KL. Basically we have a half day, one full day and then a departure day with a late flight. We will arrive likely in the afternoon, spend the night & then we will have 1 full day. The next day is our departure day where we have a flight out at 11:40 pm so much of that day is free. I'm thinking of getting a guide for half a day or so. I thought of staying at the Mandarin Oriental because its such a bargain for a MO hotel. It's in KLCC. Is it conveniently located? Do you have suggestions for other hotels to stay that you find more conveniently located? We don't mind window shopping, but not really into spending time shopping. We probably will check out the central market. I understand there is a bird park which we might see and the gardens. Little India sounds interesting. We enjoy walking when possible.

Any suggestions for a guide in KL? Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 11:36 AM

The last time I was in KL, we stayed at the Ritz Carleton which is in the same area as the Marriott. Yes, it was a real bargain. We had a meal at the Shangri-La, another hotel that was a good price in KL.

I've never used a guide in KL. Frankly, there isn't all that much to see in KL. We always visit the Central Market. I don't find the shipping malls to be very interesting. We did visit the Selangor factory while we were in the city, and it was interesting. If you are in the market for pewter, the prices in KL are much lower than those in Singapore.

The food in KL is excellent. Ask at your hotel for recommendations. My favorites have closed - it's been a while. since I was last in KL.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
The last time I was in KL, we stayed at the Ritz Carleton which is in the same area as the Marriott. Yes, it was a real bargain. We had a meal at the Shangri-La, another hotel that was a good price in KL.
KL.
Thanks! Havent stayed at a Ritz Carleton in years. I thought it looked nice. Did you like it?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 10:40 PM

I have also stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It was in both April 2001 and Jan 2015. The price was excellent on both stays and I liked it. Then in Jan 2016, I think it was, I stayed in a hotel on Bukit Bintang. This last time in KL, Jan 2019, I stayed at the Four Seasons as it was brand new and I wanted to try it out. It’s all a matter of preference, but I liked the location of the Four Seasons better as it’s right at KLCC Park where there's open space.

KL has changed a lot and it’s very different than it was many years ago. It has really built up. For one, where there was once open land, there are now very tall condo buildings and office buildings. Plus, Bukit Bintang is very different now than it was back in the day.

Mark in KL

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Dec 7th, 2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

I have also stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It was in both April 2001 and Jan 2015. The price was excellent on both stays and I liked it. Then in Jan 2016, I think it was, I stayed in a hotel on Bukit Bintang. This last time in KL, Jan 2019, I stayed at the Four Seasons as it was brand new and I wanted to try it out. It’s all a matter of preference, but I liked the location of the Four Seasons better as it’s right at KLCC Park where there's open space.
Thank you for the info and sites. Is onelocation better in terms of transportation and getting around or back and forth to the airport?
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 11:38 AM

We were in KL around one year ago. You don't need a guide. The hotel concierge can help you.
Little India is nice as is the Royal Selangor pewter factory and the Royal palace.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istana...,_Jalan_Istana
I would recommend the Petronas Towers. The views are amazing. You can go to the 42nd floor sky bridge and up to the 86th floor too. I am not sure how as my friend there gout us tickets but its worth it.
Kathie is right. The food is very good and is a bargain.
We stayed at the Grand Hyatt BTW which is practically next to the KLCC.
All the best
Larry
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:04 PM

This is from the 86th floor.
The Petronas Towers.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:10 PM

The Royal palace

The Royal palace

Me trying my hand at pewter crafting. I ruined it! Harder than it looks! This is at Royal Selangor and they have a gift shop too.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

jacketwatch -- thank you for the info. Your photos are great. That 86th floor shot is amazing. Not sure I could go that high. So I guess we can skip a guide. It sounds like in a day and a half+ we should see what we want. Our main reason for flying from there aside from getting FF tix, is the food.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM

Iím glad you liked the pics. As for food there is a cuisine unique to Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia called Paranakan. It has its own taste, quite nice.
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/mala...mpur-malaysia/
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
I have also stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It was in both April 2001 and Jan 2015. The price was excellent on both stays and I liked it. Then in Jan 2016, I think it was, I stayed in a hotel on Bukit Bintang. This last time in KL, Jan 2019, I stayed at the Four Seasons as it was brand new and I wanted to try it out. Itís all a matter of preference, but I liked the location of the Four Seasons better as itís right at KLCC Park where there's open space.
Thank you for the info and sites. Is onelocation better in terms of transportation and getting around or back and forth to the airport?

As for transportation, I either take taxis around KL or when my Malaysian friends, my former Airbnb hosts, come to my hotel, they have a car and we go out. But, during the time that Iím without them, Iím on foot or in a taxi as taxis are not that expensive.

As for the airport, I have either taken the train from the airport to KL Central Station and then been picked up by my former Airbnb hosts at the train station or theyíve picked me up at the airport.

I have also taken the car service from the airport to my hotel and back to the airport. Iíve used the hotelís car service back to the airport while staying at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, The Westin Hotel on Bukit Bintang, and the Four Seasons Hotel at KLCC. There are various options. But, no matter where you stay, you can always take a taxi to the Central Train Station where the train to the airport starts/ends. I never worry about how Iím going to get back to the airport.

Happy Travels!

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
Iím glad you liked the pics. As for food there is a cuisine unique to Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia called Paranakan. It has its own taste, quite nice.
https://theculturetrip.com/asia/mala...mpur-malaysia/
Peranakan food is one of my favorite types of food. Iíve been eating it since the 90s and always recommend that folks try it. I was so happy when in the early 2000s, we got the first Peranakan restaurant in the U.S. and right here in my city of Pasadena (Los Angeles County). I was then able to get Peranakan food regularly and the restaurant was beautiful. Itís too bad that it closed. The owner was from Hong Kong, but said that he was always interested in Peranakan cuisine. I think that if one has an opportunity to try Peranakan food, then one should take advantage of it.

Happy Travels!

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 04:44 PM

It definitely has its own taste.
We donít get it here in the Chicago area.
I too recommend trying it!
Who knows when there will be another chance.
All the best
Larry
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Given the short amount of time you are there, and the fact that KL KS not an easy city in which to get around, I think I would choose a hotel either based on the hotel itself or close to the places you want to see. Taxis are cheap, but I try to avoid as the streets are often gridlocked with traffic

if you want to see as much as possible in different areas of the city, then I think I would go for KL Sentral as the train from the airport will take you right there with no need for taxis or a lot of walking. Aloft is right there, not up to 5* standards perhaps, but very funky, a bit different and some of the best designed rooms we have ever stayed in. The monorail/mass transit system will take you many places you may want to go to Bukit Bintang, Central Market, KLCC, Petaling Street, with relative ease. Little India is walking distance (the banana leaf restaurants are cheap, fun and very messy!)

The Bird Park, Islamic Arts Museum are interesting ( esp. the latter) but are always going to be a bit of a pain to get to other than by taxi and likely enduring time in traffic or walking.

As you have discovered, 5* places in KL can be a bargain. If it were me, with the prospect of a late departing and presumably long flight back to the USA, then I think I would be looking at a club room in one of those five star places and either negotiating a very late check out or just using the lounge in the hours before departure. The food in the MO lounge was excellent and it has great views of the twin towers. The Shangri La was also pretty good, as I am sure, are the FS , Hyatt et al.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone! We definitely will be trying Peranakan food. Trying local foods is one of our favorite parts of travel.

Guenmai - Thanks for the info on the transportation to and fro. Not sure if we will fly or take the train to KL from Penang.

crellston -- good points on hotel re the late flight back to, yes, a very long flight, to the US. I think we will definitely go for a nice, luxury hotel at the prices we usually pay for a more moderate choice. Which one, I haven't figured out. Our preference when visiting a city is to walk followed by rail/metro etc. Taxis and traffic don't mix for me. With our short time there I imagine we won't bother with anything far afield. I always enjoy wandering and sitting in cafes so I doubt we will not be fully occupied.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 05:08 AM

Precious Old China | Introduction
A friend of ours who is a food critic in KL recommends this one which is also on the link above.
All the best.
Larry
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:16 AM

KL is not really a walking city during the day, its very hot and humid and the pavements in a lot of places leave a lot to be desired. Bukit Bintang and KLCC are fine as they have air conditioned buildings where you can cool off.

Good suggestions by Crellston, especially having a late check out as you will definitely need a shower before you get on your flight. If your flying biz class check to see if the lounge has a shower, some of the smaller lounges may not
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:50 AM

As for the taxi/traffic situation, I didn’t find it being a big deal. I got to where I needed to go in a decent amount of time. Plus, I like being at street level as then I can see things along the way and jot down places which I might want to check out either later on the same day or on another day.

Like in any major city, there’s going to be traffic at certain times of the day, so I just avoid those times if I can. I use a combo of transportation means while I’m in a big city, but I don’t cross out taxis due to a possibility of traffic as I never know when I might need one over public transportation.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Personally I detest the taxi drivers in KL, the constant haggling over the fare before they'll take you, I always use Grab, which is a lot more pleasant experience
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 10:18 PM

I’ve never used Grab in KL as I don’t travel with a cell phone. As for the taxi situation, in my own situation, I found it fine.

Happy Travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO