Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Malaysia ? (Kuching or Perak)

May 30th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Heey guys , i got the chance to go for volunteer work in malaysia , but been hesitating , should i go for the job in Kuching or the one Perak , i'll be staying for 40 days and i want to discover the unique culture there and try the maximum of new things and enjoy the beautiful beaches there ,thanks for your time ^^
May 30th, 2017, 10:14 AM

These are in totally different parts of Malaysia, Perak is in Peninsular Malaysia, Kuching is in Sarawak, on the island of Borneo. You should read about both of these places so you can make a good decision for you.

What I might prefer has nothing to do with what you might prefer. I loved Kuching and the access it offers to different tribal cultures. The cultures on peninsular Malaysia are different.

You would benefit from studying a good guidebook. Check your local library.
May 30th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Okay ,thank you for the informations ^_^
May 30th, 2017, 06:02 PM

Decide EXACTLY what it is you want to experience and, as you are working how much time you will have to experience it. I have spent a fair amount of time both places and they are very different.

Kuching is a city in East Malaysia - Borneo, is very cosmopolitan and very Malaysian with a strong influence from the tribal peoples and cultures around. Easy access to jungle, and river trips. Some reasonable beaches not too far away.

Perak is a state in the west of Peninsula Malaysia whose capital is a pleasant colonial town, Ipoh. It has a heavy Chinese influence and is famed for its cave temples and chicken & beansprouts! Easy access to Penang and the beaches of the west coast.

Info and photos of our time in both places are on our blog which may provide afavour of what to expect. https://accidentalnomads.com/category/malaysia/

Both places are affected by different monsoon systems so th time of year could be an important factor, if , of course the weather is a factor for you.
May 30th, 2017, 06:50 PM

I an Malaysian and familiar with both your options. I see that you have been given good advices so far. However, I would add that if you have not been to the east and are looking for a good nice cultural experience and stay, Kuching is probably the better choice. Perak is a relatively large state and conditions could vary from very rural to urban situations depending on the town/village where you are based. Generally Malaysians are very welcoming to foreigners and you should enjoy your stay here.
May 31st, 2017, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Okay guys , really appreciate your help , thanks ^_^