Where to stay in Kuala Lumpur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

As we explore potential Plan B options should we need to leave BKK, KL is a possibility. Looking for suggestions for places or at least areas to stay in. not even sure of the price range of hotels in KL but mid range would be good. We would be there five nights in January. thanks
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed staying in Chinatown (more interesting than the posher area around the Petronas Towers), but it was a while back, can't recommend anywhere specific.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese New Year end of January-beginning February. May be hard to find accommodation anywhere!!

Hope things work out so you can stay in Bangkok with Plan A.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:40 AM

Just looked at your dates for Bangkok. You will not clash with Chinese New Year's!
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 11:20 AM

we loved the Sheraton imperial
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:02 PM

Good luck, yestravel! I'm working on my backup plan as well. Still hoping we meet up in BKK....

Paule
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

@progol -- yes, really don't want to change our plans, but OTOH I don't want to feel as if we are held captive in our hotel in BKK. It's a wait and see game I guess. Since we loved Luang Prabang had wanted to go there, but air fare is too high. Hoping it all works out peacefully and we do meet up.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:37 PM

Yestravel, hoping for the best for you as Bangkok is a fascinating city to experience and explore. In KL, I stayed at the Traders Hotel, across from Petronas Towers, a few years back, and thought the facilities were good. I believe I paid about US$100 a night at the time. Another option for you may to go outside of Bangkok if the need arises and see another part of the country.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion tripplanner001. This will be our second trip to Thailand. So we have seen a bit of the country. Also after we leave BKK for Burma, we will return to Thailand in February and spend close to 3 weeks in Thailand visiting some of our favorite places and exploring some new places before returning home. So far I haven't come up with a place that would be new to us in Thailand that we'd like to see. We're not really beach people so that eliminates a bit.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 01:17 PM

If the airfare from BKK to LP is too high, have you looked at taking the train to Vientiane and flying from there?
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Haven't looked into that -- thanks for the idea. Maybe stay a couple nights in Vientiane.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 11:17 PM

Hanoi, Saigon are hard to beat if there's still trouble in Bangkok, assuming you like interesting cities in Asia. Easy flights, cheap rates. Also think about Sri Lanka.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 04:08 AM

yestravel,
I'm also making a 'Plan B', which right now, is beginning to look more likely to be used. It's hard to put effort into making an alternative set of plans, especially as I've been so excited to go to BKK. But I agree - no sense of going if the city is paralyzed.

Good luck - I'm still hoping that the alternative plans remain just that and our paths cross in BKK!

Paule
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mare, we've been to Hanoi & Saigon. Sri Lanka is a possibility.

@progol -- the more I read, the more discouraged I get about staying in BKK in January. Was really looking forward to our return to BKK for more explorations. And yes, it is hard to put effort into alternative plans. Our current plans include returning to BKK for 4 days at the end of Feb. Hopefully that will work out.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:25 AM

Vientiane is a lovely city. We stayed right down town, a block or two from the river, and every thing was walkable. lots of great places to eat. If you are interested I can go back in my books and find the name of where we stayed. Nice rooms, good breakfast at reasonable price, and so centrally located. Nice night market on the river.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:39 AM

I have to say that I am not fond of KL. If you can't stay in Bangkok, consider flying to Penang. There are non-stop flights from Bangkok to Penang.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 05:59 AM

I agree with Karen - Vientiane is certainly worth a couple of days. Not sure when you were last in LP, but when I went back for the third time in 2011 I was very disappointed with how touristy it had become. I might look at Indonesia for a Plan B...

But if you do take the train north, make sure to book your tickets, believe me, you don't want to spend a night in third class on a Thai train! On the other hand, as a solo traveler, I really like second class on Thai trains - the berths are parallel to side of the train, with curtains, so you get plenty of visual privacy. But if there are two of you you probably want first class. See http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#Bangkok%20to%20Vientiane for more. I've done the trip twice but haven't bothered with the new rail link from Nong Khai.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 06:05 AM

I am a fan of KL and have stayed in numerous places in the city over the years. Hotel prices there are still comparatively reasonable so I would not discount the 5* places. The Shangri La and the Mandarin Oriental are my favourites and are great location close to or in KLCCC. You could probably get rooms for around$100-150 per night

There are lot of good mid range hotels around Bukit Bintang which is a great area close to lots of restaurant.

For cheaper accomodation head to China Town around Petaling St or to Little India. A much more "local" feel to those areas and again, amazing food.

Not a fan of Vietienne since our last visit but it is a good jumping off point for some amazing places further south. Si Phan Don (4000 island) is a beautiful and quiet place wat Phu is worth a look ( an earlier, smaller and unrestored version of Angkor .

Bizarrely, with all this talk of Plan Bs we are a taking a contra approach and are seriously considering taking advantage of the falling airfares and heading off to BKK. Fares have dropped to around £450 from LHR and look as though they are still falling
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your thoughts and will certainly research them. I think we want the least complicated option for getting to our Plan B destination. And would prefer flying on from this PlanB destination to Yangon without going back/thru BKK.

@crellston -- love hearing this re your thoughts on GOING to BKK. And we may very well keep our trip as planned, but just want to have some options thought through.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 06:33 AM

Yestravel, I know what you mean about not being a beach person; I'm the same way. Another possibility may be a few days in Singapore. Penang may also be interesting. If you do go to KL, I would recommend a visit to the Bird Park; it is very well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -