SE Asia Experts: Please Help with Airline Questions to SE Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please assist in my air transport dilemma.

I posted a previous question regarding which airline to fly but now I have other questions.

Currently NWA is over $1400 from PDX to BKK. I have also checked from SEA and it isn't much better. I have enough miles for a Biz class upgrade but there are no seats available for the dates I want nor are they available for the days before or after.

EVA airlines is just under $1200 for Deluxe Coach.

When flying Deluxe coach on EVA, do you end up with the person in front of you in your lap when they recline?

The seats are only 1 1/2 inches bigger than coach. Does it really make that much difference?

There is also Korean Airline for under $800. Although I can use my NWA miles for a coach ticket I can't use them to upgrade and I don't have enough miles to get a biz class ticket.

Is the service and comfort on Korea Airline coach better than most US airlines?

Given these 3 choices, which would you choose?

My money tree is not rich with greenery so paying full business class fare is not an option.

Thanks for your help with this!

Cheers!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM

We used to travel with NWA and upgraded with our miles. But now that we're 4 travelling, it has become impossible to do this. We tried EVA air in January in their economy deluxe and I highly recommend it. My husband who is 6'1" found the seats comfortable. Paying the extra money for the deluxe is definitely worth it.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

When the person in front of you reclines do they end up practically in your lap? can you still see the tv screen?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM

We have flown EVA AIr Evergreen Delux twice. Once to BKK and once to Manila.
Yes its worth it. I'm 6'2" and it made a big difference. You do get more legroom(I can cross my legs). Yes the person in front of you can get a bit close if they go all the way back- but its still a lot better than coach. You can still see the tv screen- it isn't that bad. Go for it!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM

The seats may be only 1 1/2 inches wider than coach, but they are farther apart. It's really a good deal.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

I would sure love to hear from someone that has flown on Korean Airline!

I can get from PDX to BKK on Korean for under $800.

Evergreen Deluxe on EVA is $1200.

I found several reviews online about Korean Airline and it seems their coach seats have more room than most US airlines and a nice 27 degree recline (same as Evergreen Deluxe).

Is Evergreen Deluxe worth the $400 more than Korean Airline?

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that Korean Air is a partner of NWA so I would earn miles if I flew on them and I wouldn't if I flew on EVA.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:36 PM

EVA's Evergreen Deluxe and new "Elite" class (same thing) have 38" pitch, which is about 7" more than regular coach. Huge difference.

Korean Air's pitch in coach is about 33", about 1-2" more than most US airline. But I doubt it'll have that much recline, and you certainly don't want the seat to have that much recline!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Eurotraveler- $400 extra for EVA Air versus $800 may not be worth it as you would not be getting the miles with EVA Air. If you are not a large person and tall I suspect you would be ok with Korean Airlines coach.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:13 AM

As Bill said you have to decide if it's worth it. What type of long distance traveler are you (?) and would you be happy with Korean Coach, really you have to decide, having said that I have flown on Rva's 747-400's between Bangkok and Taipei in Economy Deluxe and it wa sin my opinion 'superb'.

It is still amazing to me that so few airlines have such a class, I am in that group who cannot afford Business Class but don't mind paying extra for the extra legroom, slightly wider seat and although advertises as 'normal economy/coach' service you 'do' that that little extra attention and added benefits.

It also comes down to what you can afford and how much that USD 400 eats into your budget, if you can manage it without a problem fine, but if you are on a tight budget relax and enjoy Korean.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Earning miles on Continental is not totally worthless. A roundtrip SEA-TPE-BKK is over 15,000 miles. Since you can earn and use CO miles on NW flights, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get a domestic roundtrip from Onepass.

But of course, if earning NW's EQM is important to you, then you'll not get any useful EQMs for this trip.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I never fly Korean Air but I always recommend EVA Air's Evergreen Deluxe to everyone I know.

Does the TPE-BKK flight has an Evergreen Deluxe class ? or do you have to sit in Coach? Last time I flew TPE-CGK ( 6 hours ) and I paid only $130 at the gate to get an upgrade from coach to Business.. It is worth the $$ !!! I don't like EVA Coach.. but I find the Evergree Deluxe is worth the extra $$.

When are you planning to go ? I saw in their website that they're running a special until November.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM

You would get Evergreen de-luxe on the TPE Sector on those flights with the 747-400 certainly ( I've done it a few years back ) as those 747-400's go onwards to Europe, I know they are now introducing new 777 but don't know the seating, but as they intend using on long hauls it would be my guess they would have deluxe on those too.