Where to go in S.E. Asia??

Jan 18th, 2000, 01:56 PM
KC Evans

Where to go in S.E. Asia??

2 friends and I are going to South East Asia (I know, very broad) for about 35-40 days, in the $4000 price range. Although we have traveled elsewhere quite a bit, this will be our first Asia excursion. I was hoping for some advice on the top six or seven places to go on a first trip; cities, islands, etc. -- Already looking for sure at Thailand and Bali...

Thanks a lot,
KC

Jan 18th, 2000, 02:37 PM
d

hi, for yur budget philippines would be the best - cheap food, $2 for good lunch, everyone speaks english, lots of nice beaches, 2 hrs from hong kong... and lots of good food, you'll love it.

Jan 19th, 2000, 10:33 PM
erwin

The Philippines........

Although it is the most underated of the Asian countries, it has the best beach in Asia (Boracay) that not even the beaches in Bali or Thailand can match.
You can try the heavenly resorts in Palawan and if you have the money try AMANPULO. I promise you the $$$ will be really worth it.

The Filipinos are the warmest and most hospitable people you can find in all of Asia and probably the whole world (maybe only rivalled by the Thais if they can speak a little more English).

As for the language, Filipinos are very fluent in English (they speak American English).

I am a Filipino based in Singapore and I may also say that you visit Singapore because of its different aura. It is a modern, high tech city.

If you need any help just email me back.

Cheers....

Jan 20th, 2000, 04:38 AM
pat

Turn your eyes on Cambodia and Vietnam as well, it will be my next destinations. My friend claimed that Hanoi is the most beautiful capital of Asia.

Jan 27th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Julie

Definitely go to Angkor Wat in Cambodia (see previous posts). I have also heard from fellow travelers that Laos is very beautiful. I wish I'd made it there. Email me if you want additional info re Angkor Wat or Thailand. We were there very recently (Dec/Jan).

Jan 27th, 2000, 11:36 AM
lynn

KC -

Thailand is a must. The Thai people are so nice. We never made it to the beaches or up north (that's our next trip) but Bangkok was an experience. And you can do things so cheap. One of my husband's favorite things in BKK is going to Kao San Road to eat. This is where a lot of younger people hang out and stay so things are pretty cheap. You can eat of the vendor carts for dirt. 3 eggrolls .27 cents, 1/2 a pineapple .27 cents, a satay-style (like a kabob) stick with either beef, chicken, or pork only .12 cents!!! You could feast for $1-$2.

Also don't forget about Hong Kong. You will never see a site as amazing as the Hong Kong skyline from Victoria Peak. It's beautiful. And the Temple Street night market is great.