Things to do in Malaysia

Nov 28th, 1998, 10:02 AM
Cynthia

Things to do in Malaysia

Hello, I'm planning a holiday trip to Asia and considering Malaysia as a destination to visit. But I'm not sure about it, I heard beaches are not so good, because of the marine pollution, so, I wonder if it is a worth visit. Any comment would be appreciated. Cynthia

Dec 4th, 1998, 12:31 PM
Caz

Went to Malaysia several years ago and i have to say it was fantastic,,the people,the sights,the food were all magic. have to agree that the beaches are not up to much,we stayed on batu ferringi beach in penang, but there is so much else there besides the beach that it is still worth going and certainly a place i would return to.
hope this helps
caz

Dec 4th, 1998, 07:30 PM
Lois

My husband and I won a trip to Malaysia a few years ago and were also a little unsure - it was our first trip to S.E. Asia and we didn't know quite what to expect. We agree that Penang's beaches were disappointing...but the east coast was incredible. We spent 4 incredible days (not enough) at the Tanjong Jara Beach Hotel in Terengganu.The beach seemed never ending, it was quiet (except for the monkeys)and some days we were the only ones on the beach! The food was wonderful - all the seafood we ever dreamed of. Some of the best food was the street food in Kuala Lumpur. When we return (and we will) we will spend most of our time on the east coast and visit Tioman Island as well. Our trip to Malaysia changed our thoughts about vacation destinations..we probably never would have chosen it ourselves. Since that first trip we have returned five times to different locations in Asia. It is definately worth a visit!

Dec 6th, 1998, 01:08 AM
Helena

Tioman is fantastic; I've been there twice. But rainy season for Tioman lasts 'til end of Feb. Pangkor on the west coast is also great. Quiet, great beaches.

Dec 6th, 1998, 03:41 PM
Leigh

Redang Island is Fantastic it is on the east coast, you have to take a boat there(about 20 mins). But it is the rainy season until Feb. I think. The water was unbelievable - crystal clear! Watch out for the sand flies though. I stayed at the Berjaya.

Dec 6th, 1998, 03:42 PM
Leigh

Redang Island is Fantastic it is on the east coast, you have to take a boat there(about 20 mins). But it is the rainy season until Feb. I think. The water was unbelievable - crystal clear! Watch out for the sand flies though. I stayed at the Berjaya.

Jan 23rd, 2000, 05:40 AM
sumwai

you didn't mention when you are coming over to Malaysia. beaches on the east coast are really worth a visit, there's perhentian, redang and tioman to name a few. i've been to redang and i thoroughly fell in love with it. fantastic beaches and great spot for diving/snorkelling. monsoon ends in march, though the sea may still be a little rough at that time.
on the west coast there's langkawi and pangkor. langkawi is more develop, been there twice, but i prefer the islands on the east coast. need any info just email me.

Jan 30th, 2000, 02:39 AM
harzer

As an alternative to the beaches, and much cooler, go the the Genting Highlands (upmarket) or the Cameron Highlands. At the latter there are some great walking tracks through the hills and jungle. Quite safe, and the views are superb. You can choose from easy to demanding. Big range of accommodation there too, from A++ down to D. Visit tea plantations, the rose garden, and Chinese and Hindu temples. Try different ethnic foods:Indian, Chinese, Malay.
For good beaches Langkawi island north of Penang, and as suggested, the east coast mainland and islands.