Where to go after Java and Bali?

Feb 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Where to go after Java and Bali?

Hi,
As you might know we are planning a trip to Java (3-4N) and Bali (6N, we been there two times, pls. see my other post) next April. We are still deciding where we will fit our last/additional 4N of travel. At first we think on a Stopover in Japan on our way back mainly to visit Kyoto (Weve been on Tokyo/Nikko/Kamakura for one weak bef.) However, costs increase sharply because of hotel costs at Kyoto and Sinkansen cost(our stopover must be at Narita). Therefore, we are wondering what place in SEA will be nice to visit/easy to visit instead of Kyoto area (which may require a trip to itself)?

Our transpacific flight is from Singapore (we also been in Singapore twice and not interrested to visit this time). So, we might get flight from there on SIN Airlines or Silk.

Considering past travel reports, We are considering Borneo, or Luang Prabang (long flight from SIN?), or maybe Songkram at BKK (our days fit on the the 13rd of April weekend), Also Kuala Lumpur? We dont know how easy is to visit another place on Indonesia. We will prefer a cultural/historic/urban experience.

Pls. help on this. Your advice will be appreciated.
Feb 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Hard question... there are lots of options, but I assume you want to minimize travel time.

Borneo: you could go to Kuching, which is Sarawak. It's a charming town, and there are parks not too far away you can visit. Kota Kinabalu is on the Sabah side. It's a grittier town, and you'd want to do something like the Borneo Rainforest Lodge, which is another flight away.

Siem Reap or Luang Prabang would both be options. Silk Air has flights there, but not every day of the week for LP. It is a longer flight than to Borneo or other places in Malaysia.

If you haven't been to Bangkok, it's an easy flight and there is SO much to do.
Feb 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM

My vote would be for Kuching. Hope to go later this year.
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM

What about Kalimantan, southern Borneo? We're going there in July on our first trip to Indonesia. It sounds like a very interesting area to visit and see the orangutans at Camp Leakey and the other feeding stations, in addition to life along the river.
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Kalimantan (which is Indonesian) is much less accessible than Malaysian Borneo. Transport would take an inordinate amount of time. The Danum Valley in Sabah is perhaps the most accessible place to see the wild Orangs.
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM

what about lombok??

langkawi is also nice....
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.

I think Silk does not flight anymore to LPQ, Apparently they only flight to Siem Reap (its magic but we already visited), Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and Danang (Vietnam). I also checked Singapore Airlines a not direct flight to LPQ. Does anyone know any other airline which may have flights SIN to LPQ.

Regarding Borneo, apparently the best way to do it is from SIN to Kuching. Kathie, could you pls. expand town ambient and things to do (of course I read your report on Borneo). My wife is less animal lover than me, so I need weapons to sell Borneo appart from Jungle and wild Orangs.

Regarding BKK, Yes is the easy flight but we ve been there four times (we love that city!), hence we are considering other places.

How about Danang in Vietnam? I ask beacause silk direct flight, is this in central Vietnam? If theres something interresting near? We been to Hanoi and love it, but not sure the rest of Vietnam.

We will appreciate further comments.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob, do you think Lombok would be that interresting after Java and Bali? Ive suppose to go there but after Java (also Muslim, Volcanos, and so on), we are not sure. Regarding Langkawi, I understand is a beach destination and we are considering spend some time in Bali at Semniyak. Ive read that langkawi has beautiful white sand beaches but, what else is there? Thanks for your comments.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Kuching is really charming. Even if all you did was to stay at the Hilton, walk through town (great walking city!), eat, visit the museum, etc. it would be worthwhile. We will return, as we felt we didn't have enough time our first visit. Four nights would be a perfect amount of time just to explore Kuching. Take a look at the Kuching photos at www.marlandc.com

We loved the walk along the river with the old Chinese shophouses... lots of interesting stuff... we brought home Sarawak peppercorns - fabulous - so much better than you can buy elsewhere! We also walked though Little India... it's a wonderful multi-ethnic city.

Most of the visitors we met were from other parts of Malaysia. We really enjoyed talking with them.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM

PS We really enjoyed Lombok, but it is primarily a beach location, perhaps not what you want after Bali. We stayed at the Qunci Villas, which we loved.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM

A couple of other ideas:

Manado in Northern Sulawesi. You can fly non-stop back to Singapore on Silk Air. A quiet but charming town. Christian to complete your range of religions. The outstanding draw of the area are the phenomenal reefs -- some of the best on the planet. There are also several fine nature preserves in the area in which you can see hornbills and a variety of primates like macaques and tarsiers.

Perth in Western Australia. It's closer to Indonesia than you'd think. 3.5 hours to Bali and 5+ to Singapore. I haven't been there yet but it's meant to be a charming area, both for urban and beach attractions.

It's been several years since I've been in Kuching but I remember it as being a nice town with access some interesting side trips. The beach as I recall was very nice. I especially liked our visit to Bako National Park to see the proboscis monkeys -- the ones with the long noses.

A short flight takes you to Miri from which you can visit the Niah Caves -- a fascinating adventure, but well structured for visitors.

I would go to Lombok for the beaches and only for the beaches. I guess there's culture there somewhere (and they do make wonderful pottery and baskets) but it doesn't compare to Bali or Java in depth or variety.
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Danang is within easy reach of Hue which as you probably know has a lot of historical attractions. Again, it's been years since I've been there (I'm really in the Bali-rut but we enjoyed the citadel, monuments and river travel.
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments.

I think Hue, Hoi An (Danang) are already considered in another trip also with Luang Prabang.

Regarding Manado, I am a reef lover but the flight seems long (3+hours). Moreover, diving at the end of our trip is not the best idea considering (this additional 4N must be at the end of our trip)long transpacific flight ahead.

How about Kuala Lumpur? Ive just read a thread where many people mentioned Kuala Lumpur as their top 5 cities in Asia, but not sure whats there. what do you think?

Finally, regarding Kuching, still in our plans (finalist), but I have to convince my wife because she prefer more urban stuff.

Bangkok of course is always a sound alternative. We may go there to through some water at songkram.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I've been to KL, enjoyed it, but I do not find it to be an exciting city. I'd choose Kuching any day over KL.
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM

This is so ancient as to be probably irrelevant, but after a trip to Java and Bali years ago, I visited Kalimantan and found it utterly fascinating-- a river city, with very different culture and scenes than in either Java or Bali. It's not a simple, beautiful place but is quite an experience. I hiked into the interior with a Dayak guide and came back downriver on a raft built by the villagers.

Bangkok is great, but if you are there consider a trip out to Sukhothai, a wonderfully maintained temple area not too far away.

Feb 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Sorry: Sukhothai is maybe 5 hours away; Ayuthaya (also beautiful) is much closer.
Feb 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM

cursiouser, what city did you visit in Kalimantan?
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Thanks for that prompt: it was Banjarmasin. I caught local boats around for a few days up and down the canals.
Feb 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Everyone overlooks the Philippines- but its agreat place to visit and your dollar goes far and there is no language barrier.
Feb 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM

bill we are all waiting for olive to organize a tour of the phillipines for we fodorites....one thing we could guarantee is that it would be 1st class....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO