Notices

Where to buy Jade?

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy Jade?

I am going to Bangkok and Phuket via Singapore and my mother LOVES Jade. Can I find any unique, quality Jade during my trip?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM

We asked several people in TL about the quality and price of Jade while shopping for jewelry in BKK.

Interestingly, we were told that the best buys in TL would be in locally mined Rubies and Emeralds. All good Jade (Imperial) was imported from China and prices in TL would not be particularly favorable.

So, we ended up buying my wife a ring set with Rubies and and one with Emeralds. We really liked Venus Jewelry (near the BKK Night Market). I'm sure a search of this forum would turn up other recommendations of jewelers with quality merchandise at reasonable prices.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hmmm... locally mined sapphires and rubies (the best are from Burma)are the best deal. There are no emerald mines in Thailand.

Jade will be more difficult to find. The jeweler I use, SJ International (search on it and you'll find the contact details)has plenty of gem-quality jade. But if you are looking for carved jade (which is what I'm always looking for) it's harder to come by. Bangkok will be your best bet of the places you are visiting. You'll find jade in Singapore, but it will be more expensive.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM

I visited a jade cutting factory up in Mae Sai on the border with Burma some years back. I also very much like jade. They were using jade brought in from Burma which apparently has a good few mines - however its nearly all the darker green stone (jadeite? - I think) which is not as valuable as the chinese pale green stone. Still very nice if you are a jade person. They had a lot of carvings and also jewellery pieces. Obviously its not on your itinerary but they must send a fair bit of it down to Bangkok but I really can't think that I've seen much there ever.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:58 AM

Kathie does SJ sell carved jade or just stones? I'm looking for smaller pieces, high quality. Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

Jim, when I was there in November, I was looking at jade and saw only small, gem-quality stones (the emerald green color) at SJ. I didn't see any carved jade, and I did ask Lily about it. I did end up bringing back some carved jade from Kuching, and had them set the stones into gold earrings for me.

That said, if you are in Bangkok anyway, you might call and ask if they have any carved jade. There is a jade shop in Chaing Mai which is supposed to be excellent.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM

for jade you need to go to china especially yunnan province. You have to be careful with jade it is easy to produce fake jade. To test jade hold it to a light and look for any seams on a bracelet then tap the jade to hear a fine ringing sound and lastly drag it across glass. it should scratch the glass.there are many large stores in china with a variety of choices and prices. I live in xiamen and have purchaced many pieces. hope this helps
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:38 PM

I have to admit, I'd be far more concerned about fakes in China than in Thailand. That said, your best insuranvce against fakes (in addition to your own kmnowledge) is a reputable jeweler.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM

While in Bangkok (on a tour) we went to the Gems Gallery which had a huge selection of jewelry. I was looking for sapphires at that time but I'm sure they had jade. Granted it's a tourist stop (really nice store) but I don't think a reputable tour would take you to a rip-off place. The gold & sapphire ring I bought is beautiful and I feel it was a good price - I wear it constantly.

While in Chiang Mai we visited the Jade Factory and WOW! I succumbed to an Imperial Jade ring (with tiny emeralds in the setting - the only way I'll ever be able to afford emeralds) and a carved jade elephant (small) plus a star sapphire ring (a really big expense). Wound up spending more on jewelry than on the whole trip!! No regrets, however.

Obviously, you won't be in Chiangmai but I'll bet the Gems Gallery will have many jade pieces, maybe from the Jade Factory.

I don't "know" jewelry but I'm really pleased with all my buys. Still much cheaper than I could buy in the U.S.