where to?

Nov 10th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

where to?

I know this is the Asia board, but to the regulars on the board,I'm just curious as to what other places in the world you guys like to travel to for vacation and do you have any upcoming overseas plans for vacations outside of Asia? I'm back off to Ghana,West Africa next month and January which is where I was last December and January...absolutely loved the country and its people.I know James A doesn't like Ghana...unfortunate bad experience. I read his comments on the Africa board,and then posted mine. All of the other posters seemed to love it,too. And then I'm back off to Paris at the end of March...nothing like spring time in Paris... and then back to Bangkok/Singapore in August.I also absolutely adore the Bahia region of Brazil which is a real paradise, but my return there will have to be put on hold for a while. Happy Travels!
Nov 10th, 2004, 10:27 AM

I loved Fiji!
Nov 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Really Walter? That's where my mom has always wanted to go, but I've never had a big desire. Tell me about it. Where did you stay and how were your accomodations? I always pictured Fiji's accomodations as bare and basic which my mom wouldn't be able to be comfortable in.I have thought of taking her there for a possible birthday or Mother's Day trip. Waiting to hear more about it. Happy Travels!
Nov 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Guenmai, May I ask what you do to be traveling to all these places?
Nov 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Favorite non-asian places where I go back to (in no special order)
Istanbul
Morocco
London and pretty much all of England
France -- Paris, Loire Valley, South of France -- basically the whole country.
Florence
Guatemala
Nov 10th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Max- I just work hard and save up the bucks and take off about every chance I can get and can afford plus I am very flexible in about all price ranges of accomodations, use frequent flyer miles whenever possible, and use public transportation and walk while abroad. My philosophy of life is that when I'm back home and at work again I'm not "back at work" but just "between vacations!" Happy Travels!
Nov 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Glorialf- I agree with your list except I haven't been to Guatemala or England...just the airport in London.Istanbul is fabulous. I'm sitting right now wrapped up in my Turkish shawl that I bought there back in 2001. I'd love to return. And Morrocco is fabulous,too although I was there back in 1982 when I was quite young...around mid-twenties. I took off to Marrakesh alone and had a great time...veiled myself and hit the back streets! Happy Travels!
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Guenmai I was just like you I worked too travel. I put 35 counties in my pocket but have slowed down big time since setling down for a litle while in bangkok.. wasnt it stainbeck or one of the beetnicks that said something like "america is just a bus stop till the next trip" anywyas...

next trip other then visa runs is too America.. Stopover in Seatle for 2 days and back 'home" too connecticut for a month+ then use miles too get me back "HOME" too bangkok
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Am heading to Buenos Aires in 14 days and 19 minutes.
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:53 PM

we have done lots of england--more than 30 trips in 30 years...france, especially Var in the south--town collobrieres...italy, greece, turkey at least twice, morocco, egypt, peru, mexico, canada, norway, denmark, lots of germany, austria, czechlovachia, czech rep., slovackia, holland, belgium, portugal, spain (didn't like), hungrary, others that i can't think of at the moment....
have not however done much of usa...saving that for retirement...
Nov 10th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Orgy 7- Good for you! Keep moving around. When I was in my twenties I said that I'd slow down when I got around 35... what a lie! I just got worse since the salary got higher enabling me to leave more.See, I went straight through school...high school to university to grad school and into my profession. My whole way of looking at it was...the sooner out of school...the sooner to a decent salary for more travel and the faster down the road to early retirement...less than ten years away...I'm in my 40s...then I'll probably really lose my mind...like a close friend who retired at 55 and is now 61 and has been vacationing every two months since her retirement! In summer 2006, she and I plan to rent one of those serviced apartments in Bangkok for two months and live it up.I love Bangkok and she's been there and loves it,too. I used to spend two months living in Denmark every summer back between the age of around 17-37. I really miss not having my two months off...but look out 2006! Keep all the comments coming folks. I really get a kick out of your comments. And the Asia group is definitely the friendliest forum group I've found!It's all about the sanuk! Happy Travels!
Nov 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

MRW...I'd LOVE to do Argentina! Please post when you come back!Argentina is high up on my list. Happy Travels!
Nov 10th, 2004, 09:15 PM

you could try South Africa,where I used to live,Cape Town with it's magnificent mountains,the wine route through Stellenbosch and Franschoek,the water front,the beaches,everything is beautiful.Then drive the Garden Route to Durban where you can fly out.Look up www.cabscarhire.com very informative site
Nov 10th, 2004, 11:30 PM

And may I humbly suggest Australia, and New Zealand. Destinations don't get much friendlier. But it depends what you're after, of course.
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:48 AM
CFW

Guenmai, Seems you already have tons of vacation time, travelling every couple of months. What profession are you in that enables you to do this? (I obviously made the wrong choice!)

SydneyX, I agree with you. Capetown area is stunning. Would love to go back again. We also love France (all areas, especially the South), and the Basque coast of Spain.
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes... as someone mentioned above...Australia and New Zealand are fabulous,too. I have Kiwi friends who live on a farm on 1200 acres of land so I like to go there to relax on the farm among their 3,000 sheep! And Australia is great,too...someone suggested it. I've only been to Melbourne and Adelaide where I visited an Australian friend and her family. As for what profession I'm in...as a couple of folks have asked...well, I'm in the education profession. Happy Travels!
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

CFW...It's a close friend who travels every couple of months. She's the one who retired at 55. I'm still at work. I only in my 40s. So, I travel only about 3 times a year...on avaerage. Happy Travels!
Nov 15th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Back to the top. Happy Travels!
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:25 PM

I loved Russia - St Petersburg is one of the prettiest cities in the world IMHO. South Africa and Morocco are high on my list of want to do destinations. Like others my trips to England have always been very enjoyable but on my most recent in April I started feeling very poor with the sterling so strong vs all other currencies! In Europe I am planning Portugal soon...but for now its the Gold Coast and Melbroune end of Nov!
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Morroco is fantastic. I was in Marrakesh in the summer of 1982 and will never forget it...an absolute must go to place.The waiters at the hotel restaurant,where I stayed, were wonderful. They went and did all my shopping for me,during their break, during the heat of the day because they thought I should stay out of the heat...although I'm used to it...I'm a Californian.And the morning I had to leave for a very early flight, they all came in early,around 6AM,on their own time, because they insisted that I had breakfast before my journey to France.I was the only guest in the entire dining room. I'll never forget all the kindness I received. I stayed at the Hotel Les Almorivides which is now a 4-star hotel,but wasn't back then. I loved it even in the old days when I had no electricity for one week and a bathroom with no windows!Try bathing at night in the dark.The good old days. Happy Travels!