Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where should I go for 3 days in Malaysia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Malaysia for 3 days in Sept and have to end up in Kuala Lumpur on the 3rd day. Is it possible for me to bus it from Singapore to Malacca and spend 1 night there and then bus it from Malacca to Kuala Lumpur and stay 2 nights there? What do you recommend? Is it too much?
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Sounds reasonable and do-able. Had you thought about the islands, or perhaps Penang or Langkawi. If you are in Singapore and returning there just a thought but perhaps a non-city area apart from Melaka might be interesting alternative.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Tip: The are still no budget flights between Singapore and malaysia but you can bus from Singapore to Johor Bharu and pick up Air Asia flights to KL cheap

www.airasia.com
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM

What you have suggested is quite doable.

A more exotic alternative is to catch the hydrofoil from Singapore to Tioman Island off the east coast of Malaysia, stay there two nights and then on the third day get the ferry back to Mersing on the mainland and from there a bus to KL.

Harzer
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:16 AM

KL is about 2 hours further away than Malacca from Singapore. So it's doable. Going direct to KL from Singapore is only about 5 hours by bus. Generally a day in Malacca and 2 in KL is fine as you have not mentioned what you want to do in Malacca/KL.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

In Malacca I was thinking about hanging out on the beach and in KL just tour the city & shop. I've never been to Malaysia.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 09:44 PM

First of all, welcome to Malaysia. From Singapore to Kuala Lumpur there are buses. In fact it's one of the most common choice for local travellers. My word of advise is to avoid 1) Peak season/Local Holiday season - as you may not find any tickets left 2) Travelling at night during peak season (this is common sense, drivers may be reckless during this time to meet their quota). You may visit these sites - good service and safe : http://www.plusliner.com/index2.html and http://www.transtar.com.sg/

If you plan to stop at Malacca for one day, it will be ideal. Malacca is a historical city and so far most of my foreign friends find it fascinating. Don't forget to try SATAY CELUP (bbq chicken on stick dip into sweet and spicy peanut sauce). Delicious

In KL, it's more for shopping, if you don't plan for any shopping then do visit Malacca. However, do go up to Petronas Twin Tower (once the highest in the world). Get there at 7am and queue up for ticket where you can go up to the bridge at 50th floor (i think). If you go later of the day, limited ticket may be handed out.

As of now, no reported bad haze. The sky has cleared up. So it's environmentally safe for now as long as the forest fire in Indonesia is under control.

So just relax and enjoy. Malaysia is a very casual country, you will find it relaxing.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks emc2square. Appreciate the help & the update on the haze.