Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where in the world does the American dollar go the furthest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Eric

I am putting this question on the Asian board because I suspect that the US$ goes far in asia because of the current econmic climate but who knows, many other places are cheaper?<BR><BR>Where in the world can I get the best hotel, food and purchases value for the US dollar?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:24 AM
wolf

Kabul!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Kathie

It depends on what you are looking for. Some peope are looking for a place where they can spend the least amount of money to live frugally on vacation. I'm looking for places where I can vacation in relative luxury for less than a mediocre hotel and meals here in the states. I want someplace that has interesting and reasonably priced hand-made items unavailable here (or available only at very high prices). And I want cultural experiences that I cannot get at home.<BR><BR>My nominees: Thailand (you can pay a lot for luxury hotels and resorts, but you can also pay a very reasonable amount), Cambodia (no real luxury places to stay, but nice, interesting places for a moderate price, food is inexpensive, and the temples at Angkor are an incredible experience), Malaysia (nice places to stay, good food, moderate prices), and Indonesia (perhaps the best deal).

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Eric

Maybe some clarification of my question is in order:<BR><BR>Where in the world will the American Dollar get the best product or service (apples to apples). For example, a certain quality of meal, hotel, groceries, etc. If it would cost $100.00 in Kansas City, where in the world would that basket of goods cost the least (converted to the American dollar)? Again, "apple to apple" as much as possible considering different standards based on culture, etc.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:35 PM
philip

There is an economic tool called the Big Mac Index. Basically, what is the cost in U.S. dollars for a Big Mac in variety of countries. (Attached is a link to an April 2001 article in the Economist. <BR>http://www.economist.com/markets/bigmac/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=472727<BR><BR>Basically, for reference the data shows the Phillipines at $1.06, Malaysia at $1.19, Thailand at $1.21, Brazil at $1.51, the U.S. at $2.55 and the U.K. at $2.99.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Greg

Not Japan, lunch is $50.00!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:10 PM
KATE

Try Canada. For $1 US you can get $1.40 Canadian.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:13 PM
wayne

Depends what you are looking for. For hotels Malaysia is the cheapest (US$80 for the 5 star Mandarin Oriental in KL), for food Indonesia (US$3 for a steak in a Bali cafe, US$1 for a batik sarong, 50c for fried noodles by the roadside.), for massages Thailand (US$5 an hr), for electronic goods such as cameras and hifi, Singapore. For designer clothes, shoes and hotdogs, the US! I'm speaking only for SEAsia of course but I'm sure in places like Myanmar, Cambodia and Tibet prices can get cheaper.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Katherine

Brazil is great. I liked it for the beauty. I took advantage of the exchange rate. At the time for every dollar I gave I received 2 reales (sp?)<BR>Leather is a great buy and also jewelry. I hope this helps.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Sue

I am an American who has lived for seven years in Asia and agree that the dollar can go far, but just returned from South Africa (where the rand was in free fall) and found it to have some great deals. A lovely gourmet meal for under $15, wonderful hotels, b&b's, etc. for extremely reasonable prices. And the level of services, facilities, (plus English spoken), cleanliness, etc. generally at a much higher level than in Asia. We had no problems with crime, beggers, etc. and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Sue

Just want to clarify my previous entry. The lovely gourmet meal for $15 was the price for 3-4 people!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Randi

A review of www.asian-hotels.com indicated that the best rates for hotels werein Malaysia and Thailand. How about food?