Search

Where in China can I hold a baby panda?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in China can I hold a baby panda?

Hello,
Ever since I was a child I've dreamt of holding a baby panda in my arms. I'm planning a trip to China sometime in the future to see those beautiful creatures up close. I was wondering if there are reserves or animal zoos in China that let tourists pet pandas? I know there are places in thailand where you can play with tiger cubs.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When we were in Chengdu at the Panda Conservation and Research Center, the one up on the mountainside , not in town, I met two women who were working there as volunteers. Maybe you could check out a program like that.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 04:08 AM

You'd better start saving money now.
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 07:12 PM

There is nowhere in China that you can hold a baby panda. You can hold young adult/adolescent panda at one panda sanctuary in Dujiangyan (west of Chengdu). You must make a reservation in advance for the limited spots available, and the fee is currently around RMB 2000 for only a few minutes of holding/photo taking. This facility also has a one-day volunteer program (also reserved in advance) but those do not involve direct contact with the animals. These programs are subject to discontinuation/termination at any time. A few years ago, an outbreak of canine distemper virus infected and killed a number of pandas at one reserve, prompting the government to shut down all tourist direct-contact programs in China. All except the Dujiangyan program remain shut.