Help with perfect itinerary for Bali

Apr 11th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Help with perfect itinerary for Bali

Hello,

My family and I will be traveling to Bali in August 2018 for 6-7 days, which I know is not a long time at all. However, that's all we've got and I would love to pick 2 to maximum 3 places (if not too hectic) to visit. I am contemplating between Ubud, Semanyak and Gilli islands ( I know they are not in Bali, but may be a good pristine option), but would love any expert opinions. We love the beach and greenery, jungle, love culture (would like to see some temples) and good food. We would like to be around some night life, but not crazy partying/clubbing. We would like to do some snorkeling too. I know this is during peak season, but we definitely prefer secluded, cleaner area and beaches than are not overrun with tourists. Destinations with good beaches and/or forests are our favorite. We definitely want to be a bit off the beaten path, but not so much that we can't enjoy the restaurants etc.

Also, what would be a good way to v travel between the cities?

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance!
Apr 11th, 2018, 11:08 AM

How many nights do you have? If you have at least 7 nights (6 full days) then it may make sense to stay in two different places. I'd say choose not more than 2 places to stay, somewhere inland near Ubud, and a beach location. Going to the Gilli Islands just makes your transport more difficult - I'd skip them and stay at a nice beach resort. If you don't have at least 7 nights, I'd recommend choosing one place to stay. Each time you change locations, you use up most of a day.

Hire a car and driver to take you from one place to another.
Apr 11th, 2018, 11:50 AM

A visit to Bali is not the same in many ways as a trip in, say, Europe. Think of it as a state of mind rather than bouncing from location to location. So to move around with so little time is a recipe for not enjoying what Bali has most to offer, calm & contentedness. If you were to attempt what you describe, and if you had 6 weeks instead of 6 days, it would be a worthwhile trip. Do yourself a huge favor and pick one location, relax. I'd suggest Ubud for ease of arrival & departure and an abundance of entertaining opportunities. If you really must have beach, save it for last and spend your last 2 nights before departure not far from the airport. I don't beach so others will suggest where.
Apr 11th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

I agree on picking 2 destinations. We don't want to spend all our time at one place. And yes, beach is the most important thing to us, so it has to be in the mix. I was thinking 4 nights at the beach location and 3 in perhaps Ubud or anywhere else with greenery, temples. Was considering Nusa Lembongan, but still open to suggestions. Thank you!
Apr 11th, 2018, 05:21 PM
kja

If you haven’t already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report. The section on Bali starts with post # 128. I stayed in Ubud and Bunutan.
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
Apr 11th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Getting to a beach resort in Lombok and/or the Gili Islands from Bali will take up most of a day. It might be doable if you could arrange to fly directly into or out of Lombok, but otherwise I think it would eat up too much of your already limited time. You should also bear in mind that August 17 and 22 are national holidays in Indonesia and ferries and island transport and public beach areas will be very crowded with domestic tourists.

Beaches in Bali -- and even Lombok -- are not what I would consider "pristine" at least not in the sense of white sand, calm and clear turquoise water that you see in postcards. West coast beaches (Seminyak, Petitenget, Canggu) tend to be lively big wave surfing beaches. Jimbaran is a good swimming beach but the resort beaches are either eroded or on the cliff overlooking the beach. The less developed areas (Amed, North Bali) offer snorkeling for the beaches themselves are either black sand or rocky. The east coast (Sanur, Nusa Dua) would be your best bet for calm water but they wouldn't be considered "secluded" either. I haven't been to Nusa Lembongan so can't comment, except to say that it is very popular with day trippers.

Basically, it's a tradeoff. Bali's beaches are beautiful and a lot of fun, but you don't get everything you want in one place. Personally, I like the Petitenget area because the beaches are wide and sandy and the ocean is dramatic. Depending on the tides and surges, however, at some times the surf can be very rough, not recommended for small children.

Petitenget is a sophisticated and laid back neighborhood full of a wide range of shops, restaurants, spas. Nightlife can be quiet or not as you prefer. There are many, many private villa rentals in the area that allow you to dip into what the area has to offer or to retreat to seclusion.

You should definitely spend your non-beach time in Ubud. You'll find that 3 days isn't enough, but there's always next time.
Apr 11th, 2018, 07:48 PM

Avoid Nusa Due - it's a sterile tourist enclave.
Apr 14th, 2018, 02:24 AM

I only had 8 days in Bali after a two week trip to Japan. I split it between 3 nights in Ubud at the Komeneka Bisma and 5 nights in a villa in Seminyak. The villa was located across the road from a beach entrance but there are many lovely ones within walking distance. I wish I had one more day in Bali but I am still glad that we had the trip — it was lovely. We arranged a car and driver to take us between locations and made a few nice stops along the way. It was easy breezy. Seminyak has nice restaurants and shopping and the beaches were good for us. I have kids who loved the huge waves and are strong swimmers (kept my youngest playing in the sand). And for adults there are nice beach clubs with full service. Since we had limited time as well, it was a nice combo. We were looking to relax after going non-stop in Japan. In Ubud, we strolled around, took a cooking class, went to a few temples and rode bikes which we loved. Great food in Ubud as well. Make dinner reservations early if you are at all interested in the popular restaurants in either places. There are many Bali trip reports, including kja’s trip which has great detail. Good luck and enjoy.
Apr 14th, 2018, 08:11 AM
kja

@ Lolazahra: thanks!
Apr 17th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for all your help. I have finally picked the destinations to travel to, but need some advice. In my 7 day trip (6 really since the first day we are pretty much getting to Bali), how many shall i spend in Ubud. I know it's gorgeous enough to do all 7 days there, but I would like some beach time as well. So far I am thinking - 4 nights (3 full days) Ubud, full day/one night in Nusa Lembongan and 1 1/5 days and 2 nights in Sanur or Nusa Dua (leaning toward Nusa Dua as we want the last days to be less activity and more chilling).

However, I can also do only 3 days in Ubud and 2 nights instead of 1 in Nusa Lembongan or Gili Air (fly there), if 3 nights (2 full days) are ok as a first time to Ubud. As mentioned, we love greenery, jungle as well as beaches and water. I will do this only if Nusa Lembongan OR Gili Air are worth the sacrifice of taking a day from Ubud (many seem to think they are not)

Having a tough time and would love some advice. Thank you!
Apr 18th, 2018, 05:08 PM

If snorkeling is a must for you then as I mentioned in your other thread Iíd suggest you look at the Amed area, instead of trying to get to the Gilis. Lembongan is more accessible but it may not be the best choice on a holiday weekend.

I think Ubud is worth 4 nights but I like Baliís beaches too so I could see giving up an Ubud night. Personally Iíd prefer a luxury resort in Petitenget to one in Nusa Dua. (Iím a sucker for sunsets.) it will be a busy week in the busiest month everywhere in Bali but the westcost beaches are wide and open and they donít feel especially crowded.

So so my preference would be 2 Amed, 3 Ubud, 2 Petitenget.
Apr 29th, 2018, 08:26 PM

I'm late here, but we fell in love with Nusa Penida, which we picked only because it was quick and easy to get to. It was a 4 week trip, but we were out of time and energy. Not a huge amount of tourist infrastructure. We stayed at Kubu Ganesh, which we were able to walk to from the small dock (the owner met us with a wheelbarrow.) It was heaven on earth, and there are some good snorkel spots on the other side of the island... parts of the island llooked like the cliffs of Ireland... but with temples!! Just a thought if you're short on time. ** drivers are more expensive on the island.. about $90 a day instead of $50... but you really need a driver to see this amazing island.
Apr 29th, 2018, 08:27 PM

p.s. I think the fast ferry was just over an hour.