Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

When do Nov. rates become available on sawasdee.com?

Mar 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

All the prices I've seen listed are for the season through October '06. We are heading to Thailand in November, and I'm wanting to comparison shop. Any idea what percentage incrase we can expect from the low season rates when we hit Nov/Dec? Planning on visiting BKK, Phuket and Phi Phi.

Besides that, in general, how far in advance should we be booking accommodations for mid-Nov to early-Dec trip?

Thanks for your input.
Mar 29th, 2006, 03:27 AM

The rates for Christmas into 2007 come from the hotels/resorts, I have seen some with rates going through even to October 2007! Some resorts have the rates settled others haven't, this isn't a bad thing because they always put in the factual rate and not hyped 'from' / we offer 60% off stuff, it's the fixed contracted rate with the hotel.
So I would browse thru the places you want and even if the rate isn't in you can still request because remember they don't want your credit card details at all until they firm-up a confirmed availability, then you pay 1 night deposit and the balance before you arrive, that's why I also stick with any site going thru that system
I had a look on www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com which goes thru the system and some places both Phuket and Phi Phi 'did' have rate in thru to 2007 and others didn't.
If there is a particular place you want put in a request anyway, doesn't cost you a cent, if they get a fixed rate then fine.
Many rates seemed to be very high over the high season which is coming to a close, so I 'guess' they will be seeing how rates/post Tsunami business went before deciding.
Many hotels though often smaller and mid range have had roughly same rates for years and years, there is rarely any huge increase.
Do note though that Nov 01 is the traditional time when rates shoot up for high season, going in the last couple of weeks of October saves a fortune, just more touch and go on the weather, but think along the lines that high season (Nov- end April) rates can be 2 and 3 times what October rates are, October generaly is a cheaper month to fly long haul too(!) So woth considoring those facts, weather not so certain to be good end October but there is unlikely to be any drastic difference between last week Oct and 1st week November, the price difference through from Nov 1 'is' drastic!!
Mar 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM

as a guide you can use the rates in effect at this time, i.e. march rates, 2006.....this may not end up being 100% accurate, but it is a good barometer....
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM

James when you say the price diff between Oct & Nov could be 2 - 3 times greater do you mean just Puket or BKK as well? rhkkmk is suggesting using the March 2006 rates as a guide and things will go up a bit from there???
J
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:22 AM

i saw that james said that about 2-3 times and sort of wondered...

my experience is that the $100 goes to $120-140 in most places...

the $170/190 goes to $220/240

beach locations are always different however...
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Sorry I meant Phuket and some other beach areas, Bangkok always has people traveling thru, Phuket tends to have a very very busy peak season and then a drop off so peak season is the time of year hotels and resorts make the money to cover low season.
Mar 30th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Thanks for clarifying James I thought that was what you meant.
J