Reload this Page >

WHAT TO WEAR IN A WAT?

Search

WHAT TO WEAR IN A WAT?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
LESLIE

WHAT TO WEAR IN A WAT?

I AM TRAVELING TO BKK,CHAING MAI,AND PUKET <BR>AT THE END OF JUNE THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK IN JULY. IT WILL BE HOT AND HUMID. WHAT IS THE RIGHT KIND OF CLOTHING TO WEAR FOR TOURING GRAND PALACE AND MANY WAT'S? <BR>CAN A MAN WEAR SHORTS? <BR>CAN A WOMEN WEAR SHORTS AND TANK TOP (FULL COVERAGE)? <BR>PLEASE GIVE SPECIFICS. THANKS <BR>LESLIE <BR>[email protected]

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:28 PM
Kathy

Hi Leslie, <BR>Men and women: no shorts, no tank tops. <BR>Suggest easy off and on shoes as you'll need to remove them to visit temples and Grand Palace (I wrestled with sneakers on and off).

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:42 AM
Ursula

Leslie hello! <BR>Make sure to dress correctly not to offend the locals, please. <BR>No shorts, no tank tops. <BR>But take socks with you. In some wats and temples you will have to take off your shoes and we will more comfortable with your own socks rather than with naked feet. <BR>it happened to me in Ayutthaya at the Summer Palace Bang-Pa I was wearing a cotton blouse without sleeves. They gave me or better I had to rent a large cotton shirt. Well, I should have known. Believe me, I would have felt more comfortable in my own stuff. <BR> <BR>If you wear loose cotton and linen stuff (no synthetics) you will feel fine as well.

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Craig

I was in Thailand last year in July and it was very hot and humid, especially in Bangkok. The bottom line is you will be treated better if you respect the local custom of wearing long pants. I purchased a two very lightweight pair through the Travelsmith catalog (travelsmith.com). Although shorts would have been more comfortable, I survived just fine.

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Lizz

Hi Leslie, Just reading posts. I find them most interesting. I am on my way to China and BKK two weeks from today. I am not sure what you mean by WAT'S... <BR>please enlighten me. Also thanks to someone for the tip about removing shoes. I should have guessed that one. And what about shorts? Can I wear them playing tourist in other places? In other words are they just not allowed in the Temples etc? I have read no tank tops as they signify prostitutes. Is that right? I plan on taking some long pants and also crop pants. They are longer than shorts but not as long as the ankle length pants. Will this be acceptable? Anyone who can pass along info regarding this, I will be most thankful. Lizz

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Andrea

You CAN wear shorts around town if you want to. I typically wear long skirts or capri trousers ( the below-the-knee type I think you're talking about), and my husband normally wears shorts, and ended up having to "rent" long trousers for the temples (all will have an area where you can do that and it's really cheap). <BR> <BR>We also didn't have to take off our shoes. They have little shoe covers that they rent that you just put on over your normal shoes. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:37 AM
ann Japan

Lands End has had washable linen shirts (long sleeve) for the past couple summers. I find this works well to keep the chill off in air conditioned places.. as something to cover my arms. I tend to wear long, light skirts or navy linen pants. It is so hot and humid that even cotton can feel too hot. <BR>I wear the tank top under the linen shirt. Yes we had to take off our shoes some places. Just remember showing too much skin..would be considered improper.

Old May 13th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Anna

One thing no-one has mentioned yet is what you can wear on your feet. Although you have to take your shoes off to go into some parts of the temple, there are also restrictions on what you can wear in the rest of the temple. There is rather confusing advice on this - many places said no sandals, despite the fact that everyone, pretty much, was wearing sandals. I came to the conclusion in the end that this was a cultural/linguistic problem as it is actually only flip-flops/thongs/whatever they are called in your part of the world that are a real problem. The general rule, as I finally understood it, is that sandals are fine as long as they have a strap that goes behind your heel. <BR> <BR>As for the rest - definitely cover your shoulders and top part of your arms, and your legs. If you don't like to wear a long skirt or trousers all day, carry a long length sarong/wrap skirt in your bag and tie it around your waist before you go in.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Roy

Last summer I brought convertible pants which came in very handy for visiting wats.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:37 AM
topper

topping for Ann (dress code Bangkok temples).<BR><BR>Ann, yes people walk around in socks or naked feet. I prefer the socks, definitely.<BR>If you wear sandals, you must take them off as well.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:03 AM
keiko

In agreement with everything posted so far. I noticed several women had large scarf to wrap around shoulder and wrap-around skirt for visiting wats (and thought--why didn't I do that?) These can be purchased very inexpesnively all over Thailand. And yes--sandals with back strap are fine (someone on this list told me..and that's what I followed and I was fine)<BR><BR>but what I wanted to add is this--and this is not addressed to anyone in particular: please avoid "playing tourist" to see what you can get away with??? Do have respect for local custom. During the travel (not just to Bangkok but to other places, too) It seemed to me that only US tourists do everything he/she possibly can to insist their rights as "tourist"--and ignore (or worse yet, criticize or belittle) local custom. I'm probably too sensitive about behavior of other US tourists (it's like a mother who notices the noise her own child makes--). I have found myself apologizing to locals for the behavior of other tourists.<BR><BR>Always a mother<BR>Keiko

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Scott

Well, I'm a guy and I'm headed to Thailand April 24th. I know it will be hot hot hot humid humid humid. Do guys have to wear long sleeve shirts in temples/wats or would a button down short sleeve shirt be ok? I know about long pants and the right shoes. Thanks, anyone! Scott

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Anna

A short sleeve shirt is fine.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Scott

Thank u Anna!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:55 AM
harry

Hi, just a friendly safety reminder when visiting the temples, if anybody comes up to you and insists the temple is closed, don't believe them till you've seen it for yourself. It is usually the opening of a scam.... Just ignore overly friendly people at the temples who are targetting new tourists...

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Karen

Would a muu muu type dress (with sort of a Hawaiian print) be appropriate for visiting wats? Mine is cotton, very loose fitting, and covers my knees. I read somewhere that a sarong type wrap around would be appropriate for men or women. My husband will be in a wheelchair, and could he wear shorts and just cover his knees with a wrap?

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 10:57 AM
topper

topping for Fran

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 11:35 AM
Marilyn

2 handy tips for the conflicting needs of hot, humid weather and need to dress appropriately for temples:<BR><BR>1. Zip off pants that convert to shorts. Keep the legs on for visiting temples, take them off for the rest of the day. Added benefit: you are packing lighter because you have one pair of pants that does double duty and can be washed in your hotel sink and dry overnight.<BR><BR>2. An inexpensive cotton or rayon pareo (sarong) folds up quite small in your bag or pocket but can be wrapped around like a skirt right over your shorts. Added benefit: can also be used to cover your arms, as an evening shawl, a beach coverup, a beach blanket, a picnic cloth, a bathrobe...They are so handy I always take one on every trip, to any part of the world.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:39 AM
Ingrid

Leslie:<BR><BR>I just got back from Thailand Saurday night.<BR>We went to more Wats than I can count and found that any type of shoe is okay because you take it off before entering. I also wore only lightweight pants and long skirts...<BR><BR>However, take shoes with straps or coverings on the heels for the Grand Palace. They are very strict about that there. I have all clogs (open back), so had to buy some tennis shoes from an Adidas Outlet near our hotel - only for the Grand Palace...<BR><BR>What everyone has said is correct - better to avoid shorts so you don't have to hassle with coverings for the Wats. I did see locals wearing jeans in the Wats.<BR><BR>I also saw several people wearing shorts being asked to leave the Wats by Monks.<BR><BR>Ingrid <BR><BR>