What to wear?

Sep 16th, 1998, 05:21 PM
Irene

What to wear?

I've read through all comments concerning bottled water, sunscreen, etc. They were very helpful. My question concerns what is acceptable wardrobe...is it ok for women to wear mid-thigh length or knee length shorts? Or should we stick with slacks or skirts?

We're going late October/beginning of November. I also don't want to pack items that I can't use.

Sep 17th, 1998, 10:07 AM
Meg

You don't mention where you are going. My only Asian experience was in Thailand last May. It is not appropriate to wear shorts or sleeveless tops in public. My wardrobe was based around a pair of linen drawstring pants with a long sleeve shirt that I wore every other day (laundry/dry cleaning was VERY inexpensive). In Bangkok, I adhered to the rules, but on the island of Phuket, it was much more laid back and everyone had on shorts - and the beaches were basically topless because of the large number of European travellers. Have a good trip.

Sep 17th, 1998, 10:13 AM
Irene

Sorry I forgot to mention we're travelling to India.

Thanks for your advice.

Sep 18th, 1998, 05:48 AM
Meg

I don't know anything about India, but I would recommenda getting a good guidebook - they usually have tips about culture do's and don't's - have a great trip.

Sep 19th, 1998, 12:58 PM
Lois

We visited Southern India in February and as a woman I felt a lot more comfortable when "properly" clothed. Keep covered! whether it is a shirt & pants or a long skirt/dress. I drew a lot of stares from men even when dressed this way. The beach area in Goa was the only exception, there - anything goes, although you still get "ogled" by the locals on the beach. If you are travelling to Pakistan - it is even more conservative.

Sep 24th, 1998, 02:50 PM
bill

Irene

Dehli will be beginning to get chilly at night but comfortable throughout the day. The same goes for Rajahstan and the Punjab. Common sense- the further north the colder it will be. The south will quite comfortable but take a waterproof overjacket because the second monsoon season will soon be starting. Dress conservatively. Jeans and shirt top are fine and you'll be OK if you wear long shorts. Remember, the less you stand out in a crowd the less attention you will get!

have fun

Bill