Search

What to pack?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack?

I am leaving for Thailand in less then 3 weeks and i am trying to figure out what to pack. I'm going for a month and plan on traveling all around. I was thinking:

Clothes

2 pairs of pants (khaki like and nylon blend)
2 pairs of shorts (one swimming, one nylon/khaki)
5 t-shirts
1-polo (dressy?)
sandals (chaco's)
walking shoes
few pairs of socks
Compact Rain Coat

Gear:
SLR Camera, 2 lenses
storage device

Meds:
Imodium
Z-pak (antibiotic for diarrhea)
Acidophilus
Garlic tabs (mosquitoes)
Deet
Repel

Is this enough? Too much? Just right??? Any advice would be great. Anything you may add or take away? Also I am an avid photographer and wondering about bringing a tripod. Any recommendations

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:57 PM

The garlic will have no impact on the mosquitoes but it may keep your fellow travelers at bay.

Are the nylon blend pants and shorts are tropical wicking material? Have you worn them before? Personally, I prefer natural fabrics, but some people like the modern, wicking fabrics (coolmax, etc). Make sure you like the feel of the fabric in hot, humid conditions or don't take it.

I can't imagine wearing a rain coat in Thailand. If it's pouring, use an umbrella. A rain coat will be much too hot.

Also, you might like a light, short-sleeved shirt or two (often cooler than Ts) such as ex-officio.

You don't tell us exactly where you are going or what you are doing, so it's hard to give you any other feedback. You'll wear different clothes in Bangkok than at the beach.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM

I suggest that you have one nice looking arrangement, perhaps a shirt with a collar.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

my rough route is
1. Bangkok to chang Mai, with a stop in sukhothai and lopburi.
2. then to the east coast and stops at ayuthaya, khorat, khone kaen, nong khai and ubon ratchathani.
3. and then down to the islands, either krabi or phuket.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I'd say leave the raincoat at home. Too hot and sticky to wear a raincoat. In 12 years living in Japan and traveling in Asia, I've never worn a raincoat and never thought I needed one except at Tokyo Disneyland...

I like the coolmax type clothes and wear them a lot. If the pants are not coolmax or other wicking fabric but are just nylon blend sports pants, then either get coolmax type or bring another pair of khakis.

Add one long sleeved shirt that goes well with khakis in case you want to "dress up." (You are a man, right...if you are a woman, add a skirt).

Otherwise, you are fine...in Thailand, you can easily buy what you find you want along the way if you didn't pack it.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM

earplugs
contacts/glasses or prescription
guidebook
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM

no nylon!!! on natural as kathie suggests!!
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Ditto - ditch the raincoat! You can pick up a cheap fold up umbrella after you get to Thailand.

Just outside Khorat is a small town called Phimai. It's a nice laid back sort of town that has a museum, the largest banyan tree in Thailand (their claim,) and one of the best preserved wats in Thailand. I worked archeology digs there 3 times. You can stay in the Phimai Inn (across from the newer bus station on the main highway.) Phimai is only about an hour from Khorat.

Garlic is in lots of Thai foods - it doesn't fool the mosquitoes at all!

I would pick up a couple extra T-shirts on the way - you would be surprised how many you can go through during the day - mostly soaked in sweat!

I would bring a long sleeve shirt. It can double as a light jacket when it is chilly (like on boats or the back of trucks!) I would bring a couple ball caps too, they keep the rain and sun off your face. Also, when you walk around the bill of a cap hits low hanging stuff before it pokes your eyes out!

I would add or buy another pair of shorts because if you walk a lot they will also get soaked! A small towel will come in handy (you can use it to keep the sun off your neck.)

I would leave the sandals home and opt for another pair of cheap sneakers. Shoes get wet and need time to dry out! Also bring a pair of flip flops (shower shoes) or you will end up with some sort of mange on your feet when you shower (you do intend to take showers - right?) I never walk on the carpet in cheap hotel rooms with my bare feet! (That's me though!)

I always bring a small electric coil (okay for 220-250V) that I use to heat a cup of water for soup or coffee!

http://www.pinecreekoutdoors.com/wah...FQ6CPAodLlXEug

You can pick up coffee in little bags real cheap, they have coffee, sugar and cream already in the bag. Really cheap - Birdy is good brand!

I bring a Swiss knife and a small combo screwdriver. (I stay in cheap places a lot and end up fixing stuff to make life more bearable!)

Bring or immediately buy several small padlocks! Make sure you can lock your bags somehow! Sometimes cheap hotels have a hasp that will need a lock too!

Pharmacies in Thailand are pretty well stocked. You can pick up antibiotics there pretty cheap. Also antacids and diarrhea meds, etc.

Have fun!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Guess I'm having the same quandry...we'll be in Thailand and Cambodia for three weeks, starting in Bangkok on Christmas Day and ending in Khao Lak. My plan is to take:

5 t-shirts
3 Ex-Officio long sleeve shirts (can be rolled up)
1- convertable pants (nylon wicking material)
2 cotton-blend cargo pants
1 long skirt
1pr. Keen Sandals (closed toe)
1 pr. Merrell mesh trail shoes
1 lightweight fleece pullover (for evenings in Chiang Mai)

My question- with the humidity, will I need two changes of clothes per day? I'd like to pack as little as possible...and is it recommended to wear socks with sandals?
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Oops...guess I should have said what we're doing...

Dec. 25-28:Touring Bangkok
Dec. 28-30: Touring Chiang Mai
Dec. 30-Jan. 2: Bangkok
Jan. 2-6: Siem Reap
Jan. 6-11: Khao Lak
Jan. 11: Home
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM

heymo....I think you're a woman (sorry if I'm mistaken)

I also found a long linen skirt useful and comfortable...also doubled as something "dressier" for the evenings.

A flip flop or sandal that could do double duty as a pool wear and evening wear (something simple and leather, maybe even with a tiny heel).

A linen or cotton 3/4 sleeve or roll-up sleeve shirt...the A/C in some places was very strong (and my husband often asked to have the A/C cranked up when we were driving)

I brought keen sandals, but actual found my dansko sandals with an ankle strap to be quite sturdy and far more comfortable,as the leather did not get sticky as the keen sandals do (for me anyway)
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Forget the fleece. You won't need it.

I never wear sock with sandals.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't take a raincoat, but a travel umbrella and/or a nylon rain poncho would be fine.

As far as the clothing, I pack basically what I call my travel uniform which consists of about 6 Ex-Officio Baja Plus shirts and one Travel Smith Expedition...I think it is...shirt which I wear on the plane to and from Thailand as it has a pocket long enough to put a plane ticket in.
The rest consist of skirts and a few nice outfits for going out.

As for nylon, I've been wearing Ex-officio nylon in the tropics since the 90s and have had no problem with it. It's great when caught in a rain storm.

A friend and I were in Singapore and got caught in an unimaginable downpour. She was wearing jeans and a T-shirt and I my ex-Officio shirt and Ex-Officio 100% nylon skirt. Well, we were both soaked, but she had to take a taxi back to the hotel and change. I stayed out and started wringing my skirt out while walking down the street. I was dry in less than an hour. My day wasn't ruined and I didn't have to go back to the hotel. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Heymo...You've got the right idea. I just packed my suitcase last week, for BKK, 3 weeks from now, and I have similar items packed. I've been collecting travel clothes for over a decade and keep them all in the same place so that I can pack within an hour. I just pick up the whole stack and toss it into the suitcase. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:55 PM

KTY...Jim Thompson in Thailand has beautiful polo shirts. A male friend of mine has me pick them up for him when I'm there. I think that would be an excellent investment...as a souvenir to yourself... when you get there.Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Guenmai- Looks like we'll be there about the same time! I'm not a socks-with-sandals kind of gal either, I just remember someone saying it was better to walk around some of the temples and such with socks on. I don't think I want to have to carry around a pair in my purse "just in case"!

Just picked up another Ex-Officio shirt on clearance at REI tonight...$19!!! I think that should just about do it.

As for meds, we're bringing our Katadyn water bottle, some Cipro and definitely some Malarone for Siem Reap. I'm not taking any chances!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM

When we were in Chiang Mai 2 years ago at Christmas, I wore fleece every night, and sometimes I wore my husband's fleece over my own because I was cold. I do get cold easily. If you do too then I would definitely bring the fleece...on the plane even. I'm always freezing on planes and always bring fleece or at least an extra shirt.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Hmm...I do tend to get chilly...though I'm beginning the early stages of the "M" word, (at 46! it's not fair!) so maybe it won't be a factor. I think I'll bring the lighter polar fleece just to be sure. Right now the temp in the evenings are in the lower 50's!