What to do with 9 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son may be on a business trip to Thailand in November. He would like his wife and 9 year old daughter to join him later. Can you suggest places to visit, things to do, things to see, etc. that would be of interest for a 9 year old? They live in Florida so beaches and resorts are of no interest. Duration probably about a week. Many thanks. Jerry
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:10 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely elephants. If they're going to Chiang Mai, a trip to the Elephant Conservation Camp near Lamphun is a must. Even just a half day will give him a chance to see the elephants being bathed, do the show, take a short ride (1/2 hour or 1 hour), and feed and pet the babies. He'll LOVE it. My 24-year-old loved it! And so did I.
Karen
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:24 AM

Oops - SHE'll love it I meant to say. (And so will your son.)
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:27 AM

I just thought of something else - she'd probably enjoy a bamboo raft ride - easily arranged from Chiang Mai.
And in Bangkok, a daytrip to the floating market would probably be fun for her.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:03 AM

There will be a special flower festival in Chiang Mai around November where all the flowers of the world will be "grown" or transplanted on to a special hill and the festival is call "Rajapruek". I think your daughter in-law and granddaughter will enjoy it.

Here's a link with information: http://www.royalfloraexpo.com/index.asp
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 07:27 AM

there is a very nice zoo in bangkok...

boat rides along the river...klong tour of thornburi...

shopping is always good for girls..

lots of pool time, so pick a hotel with a good pool....the marriott resort and spa is the best for that....some hotels have "kids clubs"...

lots of mcdonalds and the like all around bkk
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:14 AM

There is an aquarium - Siam Ocean World I think it is called. Also Joe Louis Puppet Theater. You can find them both on the internet if you do a search, both are in Bangkok.
BB
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM

Definately Joe Louis Puppet Theatre at the Suan Lum Night Market in Lumpini Park. The show is interactive with the audience. Have dinner at the restaurant adjacent. Bring camera, the puppeteers will pose with you before the show.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:50 AM

Great suggestions for Chiang Mai. Here are some for Bangkok that you all might like and find interesting for a 9 year old.
Visit the new Siam Ocean World first world class aquarium in Thailand opening late 2005. Located in the basement of the new Siam Paragon shopping Centre in Siam Square opposite the skytrain central station. http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/home.htm

Snake Farm at the Red Cross building (Pasteur Institute) located at the corner of Henri Dunant and Rama IV roads not far from a subway station. http://www.thailandguidebook.com/snakefarm.html

Take a tour of the small canals in Thonburi, either by an organized tour or by hiring a longtail boat at any of the major piers. On your own you can stop at the royal barge museum and Wat Arun.

Take a ferry ride along the Chao Praya river either by using the regular river ferries or the tourist ferry (a little more comfortable) but it only stops at the major piers and cost a little more (100 baht for a all day pass).

Take out-of-town trips to
- half day to the Floating Market - a touristy place but still interesting. Either by tour or hire car/driver.
- day trip to Ayuthaya - take a tour or hire a car/driver to get there and return by boat.

Take in a Movie - For a movie theatre experience that you will not find in North America (as yet) take in a show at one of the luxury theatres around Bangkok.

Have not included the zoo or amusement parks such as Dream World http://www.dreamworld-th.com/english/index.php  or Safari World http://www.safariworld.com/ as you have plenty of these in Florida.

Of course you must visit the Grand Palace and Wat Pho and the Jim Thompson House is very interesting.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:21 AM

At Wat Po, she'll love throwing a wishing coin in each of the 100+ bowls that line the back side of the Reclining Buddha.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM

Hey, Hanuman, thanks for the link to info about the Floral shows in Chaing Mai. I will have the opportunity to see part of the show when I am in Chaing Mai in November.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM

Kathie,

It will be a very special event and I hope that you'll get to see it. I'll be taking the family there too but not sure of the date yet but most likely towards December when it's nice and cool. Expect a lot of people!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM

The Thai people love children and even have a Cildren's Day holiday (similar to our Father's Day & Mother's Day.)

One of the Midwesterners I brought to Bangkok now spends a month every year in Thailand with is wife & two young daughters. They love the water parks, elephant rides, Tiger Temple, beaches, shopping, etc.

They both cry at the end of every trip because they have to go home. And they get bored after a few days on most domestic trips.

She will have a great time that she will never forget.