What to do with 1 day solo in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying in on Thai Air and the flight arrives at about 7 a.m. on a Thursday, leaving the next morning for Angkor Wat.

The tour company has me staying at the Rama Gardens Hotel which I understand is at the airport. The rest of the group doesn't get in until late Thursday night.

I will go to the hotel and drop off my luggage (maybe will get lucky and check in), but what should I do for the whole day by myself in Bangkok (white, 40ish female). We will be returning to Bangkok for a 4 day stay and will see the touristy highlights with the group.

Interests: vegetarian food
shopping for tchotchkes
temples (although I will see the main ones with the group)
people watching.

WHere should I go and how should I get there? I'm a bit nervous about being in a busy city not speaking the language by myself, so I'd like to make a firm plan so I can look like I know what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Lynnie
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Yipes! Here's another reason not to book a tour. They have put you in the Rama Gardens which is close to the OLD airport. You will neither arrive nor depart from that airport, as all international flights are in and out of the new airport. So you will have a long taxi ride to the hotel, from the hotel into the city, back to teh hotel, then back to teh sirport. Fortunately, taxis are cheap in Bangkok.

Don't worry about not speaking Thai, virtually everyone you have contact with will speak some English.

First, take a look at what the tour will be showing you, and see if you can detremine which things you really get to visit vs. do a drive by.

Some ideas for that day;

visit a spa
take a klong tour
wander one of the new shopping malls like Siam Paragon, and have an excellent lunch there
Visit the Jim Thompson House and have lunch there

If you are interested in high-end antique art objects, take a look at www.amantee.com It is located close to teh old airport, and is lovely just too look. It also has a small cafe for lunch.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Kathie is quite right. The Rama Gardens Hotel is near the old airport and quite far from Souvarnabhumi, which is the airport you will use for both your incoming flight and flight to Siem Reap. It is very poor planning on the part of your tour, as the new airport opened last fall. Get them to change the hotel to either the Novotel AT Souvarnabhumi if they want you at an airport hotel (and you want to be at the airport), or better still, a hotel actually in Bangkok. If they can't or won't do that, I'd book a nicer and better located hotel for your one night and pay for it yourself/seperately.

For a lovely introduction to Bangkok, a riverside hotel is my choice. We've stayed on the river and off the river, and much, much prefer the riverside. You can sightsee and shop easily, and when you've finished you can go back to the riverside hotel...it's like a tropical oasis. There is the Peninsula, which is our favorite...also the Oriental, Shangri-La, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott Riverside Resort and Spa. The only thing with the Marriott is that it's a 15 minute boat ride to the Sky Train, and boats are maybe 4 per hour. We've had early check and late check out at the Peninsula every stay without trouble at all...never asked for it, they always just offered.

Off-river hotels are many...The Sheraton Sukhumvit is popular, as is the Holiday Inn. The Four Seasons has a great summer promo rate on their own website. You could take a look at the listings on www.sawadee.com - but do make sure you also check the hotel's own website too for prices and promos.

After a long flight, I'd want a nice breakfast (Peninsula breakfast is excellent, and having it at an outdoor table riverside is so nice), spa (Face Spa, Bua Spa, Leyana Spa, in addition to the hotel spas are very nice), you could take a klong tour on a longtail boat. That would be enough for me on day of arrival...
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Bummer about the hotel location. I will call and discuss it with OAT tomorrow. I am a last minute fill in on an already planned trip with my sister and 2 friends, and had no pre plannig input at all.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM

For vegetarian food, it's definitely Tamarind Cafe at Sukumvit, soi 20. I eat there a lot. The owner is a young woman from Lyon, France and the chef is from Hawaii. They are famous for their vegetarian steak with gravy with a side of rice and vegetables which with that dish alone is definitely worth going there for.

Tamarind Cafe is on the same street with Bei Otto German Bakery and Beer Gardens if you want to pick up a loaf of bread/cheese to make sandwiches with for your next-day trip. I haven't eaten meat/poultry since 1976 so I understand the situation. I always travel with a knife and lightweight, small, white cutting board. Bei Otto is the first structure right when you turn into soi 20 off of Sukumvit.It's very easy to find...you get on the skytrain and get on the Sukumvit line and go east and get off at either Asoke or Prom Phong. Prom Phong stop is rioght in front of Emporium Mall which is one of the top malls in Bangkok and there's a western-style supermarket on the top floor and tons of restaurants. Sukumvit, soi 20 is between Prom Phong and Asoke skytrain stations and on the SOUTH side of Sukumvit... the same side Emporium Mall is on...where the even numbered sois are. My apartment building is at Emporium which is why I know the area well.

Directly across the street from Tamarind cafe is the famous L.A. restaurant called "Koi" which is only open at night and serves California- style Japanese food in a beautiful, wooded surrounding. It's about a 10-minute walk into the soi. Tamarind Cafe is on the LEFT side and Koi is on the Right side.
You can google Tamarind Cafe. I just did and there's plenty info on the place.

As for hotels...isn't Rama Gardens out by the "Old" airport? If so, what an inconvenience. It's too bad you're not at the Intercontinental which is attached to the Chitlom skytrain station...on the Sukumvit line... so you could get around very easily. Just get to a skytrain station and you'll be fine. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM

OK...Now I've read all of the above comments. I would try to get into the Four Seasons if I were you especially since someone mentioned that there's a special.The location is in the heart of town...shopping...and the Rajadamri skytrain station is directly across the street.Plus, the Erawan Shrine...Thai dancers/musicians is right at the end of Rajadamri Rd...after you exit the Four Seasons and go right and walk along Rajadamri Rd. until you come to the corner and the shrine is right there. There's a great view from the skytrain station walkway above the shrine. It's also very nice/interesting in that there are food vendors lining Rajadamri Rd. I stayed at the Four Seasons for years and it's my #1 Bangkok Hotel.

I personally wouldn't go all the way to a river hotel for one night. You'll be in BK for 4 days on the return stop and can then see all of the tourist sites. So, I would stay in the heart of town for the one night and scope out the shopping. I wouldn't buy lots of stuff then though if you don't want to drag it through Cambodia and back to Bangkok, but I would take notes of interest and then go back and pick up items on the return. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, I will definately be at the Tamarind Cafe.

I have contacted OAT and it seems unlikely that the hotel will be changed for just that night. I am writing to their Quality Management Department but the customer service lady told me it was prebooked. I cannot stay elsewhere as a friend is flying in late that night from Detroit to join the tour and will want me to be at the hotel with her.

When we return to Bangkok for our actual stay we will be at the Grand China Princess (Chinatown).

How much should I expect to pay for a taxi from the new airport to the Rama Gardens Hotel? Once I get to the Rama Gardens Hotel, how far is that to Sukumvit (is this a street name or an area name?). How do I get there from the Rama Gardens HOtel?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM

It's unbelievable the hotel/area that your tour company has booked you into. They really could have done better than that. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Sukumvit is both an area and the name of a very long boulevard. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM

You'll likely pay 300-400 baht from the new airport to the Rama Gardens. Make sure the taxi uses the meter. You'll have to pay the tolls extra, but do ask that they take the expressway.

From the Rama Gardens, your only transport choice is a taxi. It will cost about the same into town as it did from the airport.

Choose a specific place to have the taxi take you when you go into town. So don't say "Sukhumvit" but a specific location there. If shopping is what you want, maybe the Siam Paragon. Once you are in the city, you can use the skytrain to get around.

Unfortunately, Chinatown, while very interesting, is not a very convenient location in Bangkok. It's no where close to the skytrain, for instance, and it has some of the worst traffic in Bangkok (and that is saying something!)
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:42 AM

Hi

Bangkok is a great fun place but it can be a bit intimidating at first because of the traffic, noise, the culture, the smell etc. I went there in May and I had a few days alone before my wife arrived. I have been there before so I had no problems getting around using skytrain, river express boat, subway, motorcycle taxi etc I'm sure you will have a great time there and it will give you a taste of the city and it is great to hear that you will get 4 days to explore it later on. Here is my Thailand trip report from 2002 when I went there: http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm . My trip report from May is not ready yet. Have a great trip.

regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Are you locked into this tour?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies.

KimJapan, I am a late tag along on a trip already planned and paid for by friends. THere was a late cancellation and I am filling in, therefore, I am on a tour (which I have never done before).
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM

So one of your friends will meet you at the Rama GArden? I'd still just book somewhere else, pay for it, and have the friend stay there as well. OAT did not do you right at all about that hotel...you will waste a lot of time getting to and from the hotel that could otherwise be spent enjoying yourself.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

I agree, but the friend doesn't land til 11:30 pm and we have to be at the Rama Gardens at 9 am for orientation/depart for Cambodia. I am working on OAT to change the hotel for the group, but it isn't likely they will do that. I will just have to work with what I'm given, and it's just for a day.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Please note the hours of Tamarind Gardens. During the regular week, they don't open until 3PM, I think it is. On the weekend, they open in the morning around 10AM. But, they are open until late...midnight. So, try to plan your day around those hours. Oh, and what are tchotckes? Happy Travels!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Guenmai, it's what Jews call doodads.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Lynnie it will be a bit of a hassle being at the Rama Gardens for that one day but since you have 4 days later don't worry about it too much. It is a pleasant hotel. As Kathie said get a taxi to take you somewher like a major shopping center and then you can head off to explore from there. The Rama gardens should have a card with their address & directions for the taxi driver in Thai put one of those in your pocket for when you are ready to head back from your outing.
As other folks have mentioned it really is a poor show on the part of OAT to put you up there. Did they give you instructions on how to get to the Rama from the airport indicating just how far it is?
Have a fantastic trip.

J
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks Lynnie for the translation.I guess that word just slipped by me.Smiles. Have a great time. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:01 PM

We have reservations at the Hilton on the River the first & last days of our month trip to Thailand & Bali. They are charging us 2200 Batt for transportation from the airport to there. Are there any hotels on the River that provide free transportation??Just checking-Thanks Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -