What to do...

Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Joe

What to do...

I am currently in Bangkok, Thailand. Sadly enough, I didn't end up here by planning a great trip or anything like that. I basically went on a two week bender after I was laid off (was actually happy about it) and made the decision to head to Asia. Once I arrived I immediately sobered up and am now comtemplating what to do. Can anyone recommend work or a way to get by travelling for a while, I don't have cash to last me more than about six weeks. Thanks in advance.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:03 PM
John

Joe, you may not have ended up in Asia in the ideal manner, but you did so be happy. Sounds like you have a little money. I'd bump around the Thai islands and see if you can pick up some sort of bartending gig even if it just temporary. You'll have a great time and will support yourself until you figure things out. Wear condoms!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Nick

Teach English for a year. Check out www.daveseslcafe.com

Apr 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
crapper

Joe, here's what to do. Crap you pants, and then just sit and think in it for a while. I assure you this will speed up your decision making process.

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:14 PM
banger

Great advice Crapper. Joe, seriously what are you thinking? You're in Thailand..bang some damn whores!

Apr 26th, 2002, 12:12 PM
oh yeah

Joseph, get your damn head out of your ass and head to Koh Sahn Road. Here you can bang whores and crap your pants all you want and you'll fit right in. I was there last night and didn't change my crap stained pants for two weeks. I also nailed over a dozen whores.

Apr 29th, 2002, 06:53 AM
xxx

Crapper, Banger, oh yeah.. whatever you call yourself. you should SERIOUSLY think about going & getting yourself a life. the word "looser" comes to mind...

Apr 29th, 2002, 09:18 AM
McH

Joe,

What about trying to get a job with some of the tour companies? Maybe they are in need of English speaking people.

Good luck

McH

Apr 29th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Joe

Thanks for the serious response McH. What do mean by the tour companies? Touring within Thailand? Thanks.
-Joe

Apr 29th, 2002, 11:09 AM
xenia

Sorry about your plight and the less than helpful reponses you have been receiving - try Monster.com (and any other job sites) - they have international sections and just put Thailand in the seach area - lot's of jobs will come up - it can be a start

Apr 29th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Margo

The chances of finding a job just like that are less than 'zero'. Certainly tour companies are an absolute no-no, very strictly controlled. Unless you have some tracher qualifications I suggest you enjoy a budget holiday.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
joe

Thank you for the responses. I have a bachelor's degree (major: English, Minor: Business Studies) and about 15 months experience in a sales/account management position at a company in San Francisco on the publishing side of web advertising. I'm liking Thailand more and more and would like to stay for a while. Teaching English is a consideration, but I think I'd like to find something that could be valued work experience on my resume.

Apr 30th, 2002, 05:45 AM
xxx

Teaching English would be a good thing to have on your CV. A new experience. Life is too short (god knows i've been a slave to the CV for long enough).

You might just love it!

Apr 30th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Sarah Rey

You might get a teaching job if you first get the teaching qualifications. Otherwise your CV is not going to excite Thai companies. You cannot speak Thai and they have countless graduates of their own. Not trying to put a pale of water on your plans but better than thinking you can easily get a job of work. Most foreigners are working from their home base companies.

May 1st, 2002, 10:28 AM
tt

tt

May 1st, 2002, 02:38 PM
adsg

ppphhhllltttt...can you smell it?