What I've Got So Far for BKK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 6 nights in BKK...The first day we arrive early from Siem Reap so will probably just relax at the Marriott Spa and go out to dinner..

The next 2 days are open..Klong Tour/Shopping Malls...MBK (what else??)

Next 2 days we have Ratt booked..One day Floating Market and (what else??)

The next day with Ratt..Jim Thompson House..Royal Palace (is that enough)

Last day the Chatuchak Market...and resting to prepare for long flight home..

Would this be enough..I think so..will give us time to enjoy and not rush around..What do you think??
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh, also forgot we would like to go to some night markets. Which one's??

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:49 AM

If you arrive eraly from Siem Riep, I would not "waste" a half day relaxing at the Marriott. Having been in SR, you will not have a jet lag issue. I would plan to do something easy, e.g., klong tour, fitting for clothes at a tailor, and then relaxing at the Marriott. This will ease you into BKK, but not at a hectic pace.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:09 AM

Go see the Calypso Canaret at the Asia Hotel- the sky train is conneceted to the hotel. Its a great show- ladyboys- but very classy. $25 each for the cocktail show. Bring your camera. Get tickets at the Asia Hotel a few days before for best seats. Great music, dancing, singing- Bangkok Bob gives it a big thumbs up!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM

If you are at all interested, Jack the Tailor, is located about 2 minutes from the entrance to the MR&S in the Plaza. He did some very nice things for us in 4 days (3 fittings), in silk, of course.

Also, the MR&S provides a free ferry to the east side of the river. That dock is a minutes from the Skytrain and gives access to water taxis and ferrys from other hotels located on the river.

We spent every night exploring something on the east side (take a ferry to the China House, for example). You'll find it very convenient.

That having said, the MR&S has a nice pool, pretty good gym and a good, but pricey (for TL) spa. Also, we did the 200USD Lounge package which includes a river-view room, breakfast (very good) and tea+cocktails+finger food (a really nice way to unwind).

My only complaint. The MR&S has two, disappointingly ordinary, American fooderies, Trader Vics & Benihana. These are, as you may know, the MickeyDees of Yuppie eateries.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for suggestions..I don't think we will be getting any clothes made as we will be in Goa first for 2 weeks and i guess there is a good tailor right within our hotel, for very cheap!!

What markets are there at night??? When i was there last we only went to Patpong.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:25 PM

suan lum nite market is at the junction of rama IV and wireless roads....it is winding down as of february we have been told...

silom road is a nite market area and so is sukhumvit road at the lower soi numbers starting about #4....

patpong of course off of silom road...

i would relax as you suggest at marriott first day and maybe take a river ride or take the klong tour with lasts about 2 hours....have the hotel call one for you
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:07 AM

Bob

I read on another forum recently that SL night market will now stay open until FEB 07!! few conflicting reports as it did say on the Nancy Chandler web that it was Feb 06!!! I read this on Trip advisor..... anyone in BKK know for sure?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM

some asia living person (person living in asia) gave the best report i have seen recently about the closing...they said they had played golf that day with maybe a lawyer who represented the developers of the site and that the place would be gone, i think, by years end....lots of conflicting reports...
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM

Shame as it looks like my May trip is off now (too many other commitments..gutted) so looks like earliest i can make it back is very early next year!!! so i will miss out on the SL night market if it does shut by year end.

How's the trip planning coming on Bob?