Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

what books got you thinking/planning/dreaming/hoping for a trip to south east asia?

Search

what books got you thinking/planning/dreaming/hoping for a trip to south east asia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Beth Anderson

or anywhere in Asia? <BR> <BR>Hi! <BR> <BR>I am posting a question similar to one I have seen on the Europe board (which I FREQUENT - but yesterday was the first time I EVER looked at the Asia board... <BR> <BR>so forgive me if this has been done before... I did a search on 'books' but came up with a bunch of info on just guide books - not stories, novels, etc etc... <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 03:23 PM
LES GRAY

JUST WHAT DO YOU NEED EXACTLY, ARE YOU AFTER REAL STORIES BY TRAVELLORS OR A BOOK LIKE THE BEACH.LET ME KNOW AND I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP. LES

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi, thanks. I didn't know this got a reply cuz it said 'no replies' on my screen - I think Fodors is having a burp lately or something. <BR> <BR>I would prefer real travelers, but if a fiction story has merit, that would be great too. In other words, something by Kipling would be great. I did go out and buy a book by Richard Halliburton y'day called "the Royal Road to Romance"... have not started it yet... <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 02:24 PM
jhm

Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie, about the history of India through the fiction story of one man. Fabulous book, and I brought it with me to India.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:33 AM
Sikkim-A Travellers Guide

A new book- Sikkim-A Travellers Guide has been published. <BR>For further information on this book,enquiry can be sent to [email protected]

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:35 PM

ttt

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Ann

Just about comes in the category - there are a number of novels about Japan. I loved Geisha by Arthur Golden, and I'm about to try Geisha by Lisa Dalby. I believe there is yet another with the same title by a Japanese author. Lisa Dalby has also written Tales of Murasaki. <BR> <BR>There must a huge number of novels set in China. Any suggestions?

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:47 PM
genghis khan

India is not SE Asia, but Eric Newby's "Slowly Down the Ganges" really did it for me. So much so that I went the following year after reading the book to Allahabad and booked a small boat and slowly drifted the Ganges. I found, however, that Newby's account was a lot more exciting than my experience....

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 04:45 AM
Mira

Tiziano Terzani,<BR>A fortune teller told me,<BR>it's a great reportage on a trip across Asia. You 'll love it<BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:58 PM

ttt

Old May 16th, 2002, 10:16 AM