what area to stay in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I just booked a trip to Thailand for November. We're planning on staying in Bangkok for about 4 days - is there a specific area of the city that's best to stay at? We are in our late 20's, female.
Also, what are the "must-do's" things in Bangkok,taking into account the length of our stay?
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Just got back and stayed at the Conrad by Embassy Row. Very far from the temples and downtown, etc. Watch out though, downtown is where all the protests are. Stay somewhere on the river for sure. Hilton, Mandarin, etc.

Watch out for scams by the temples also. They will come up to you and tell you the temple is closed or something and to come back. They put you in a tuk-tuk and they take you to all these crappy souveneir stores and tailors. It is all a scam. Don't fall for it.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Hi,

A lot depends on how much you want to spend, what sort of vibe you want, and what you think you might do. Realise you don't know just yet about the last!

However, just to offer an alternative, you might consider Banglamphu. This is sometimes called backpackerland (aka Khao San Road) and is not overly popular on this forum. People say it's not "really Thailand" and granted there are a lot of stall selling souvenirs and cheap clothing, but that's true of downtown too. Only downtown you have horrendous traffic. And there are at least as many street stalls selling produce to locals. There are plenty of eateries ranging from international traveller food (banana pancakes, pizza, pasta, toated sarnies, etc) thru Thai (of course) and some Indian. Also al fresco small nighttime only real cheap and cheerful catering to Thais as well as visitors. Not many upscale places. Handy to the river and the ferries; handy for the National Musuem and Wat Po (two must sees) and the Grand Palace - take a tuk tuk or taxi, or river ferry and walk. But miles from the nearest Skytrain stop and so not that good if you want to go downtown to shop.

Like I said, just an alternative, so you know it's there!

Cheers.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:19 AM

I always recommend staying by the river if you can. It really makes a difference in how you experience Bangkok. You can take a water taxi directly to a number of the most famous temples. You can also catch your hotel boat to the skytrain.

The protests are not "downtown" but in the administrative area where the government buildings are. You'll have no reason to go to that area,

If you are shoppers, consider the Sukhumvit area, close to a skytrain stop.

I guess people either love KSR or hate it. I'm afraid I'm in the hate it camp. But if I was a late teens early 20s backpacker primarily interested in making contact with other backpackers and eating familiar food, I'd love it.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I have stayed along the river and also "in town" (Sukhumvit area). I have been to Bangkok numerous times and now know for sure what I want to do there. I'm a shopper. I now prefer to stay around Sukhumvit. The best shopping is in this area. Multiple malls and markets!! If I were a first-timer to Bangkok I might want to stay along the river (but it costs quite a bit more).

If you are trying to economize, take a look at "Suk 11." If you can splurge a bit, take a look at "Siam @ Siam." Very "hip"... Both of these suggestions are in the downtown area. Both seem to be more for the younger people, if that matters to you. I have not been to Kaosan (sp) Road area in 14 trips to Bangkok, and frankly, have no desire to go there.

If you can afford a splurge along the river, take a look at the Peninsula.

I think your budget will help to determine where you will stay. In any case, stay CLOSE to the skytrain. It's the best way to get around to most parts of the city that you will want to explore. The subway is also good, but not quite as helpful in getting you to the places you will want to go, except maybe the weekend market.

Carol
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I've stayed on the river and in Sukhumvit over the last decade and I'm definitley a Sukhumvit person. We have no idea what your, per night, budget is so it's difficult to recommend a hotel.
There are a lot more things to do in Sukhumvit than on the river...like clubs, bars, shopping, and other hang out things. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Choose a hotel near the Skytrain route. This way you can use that overhead rail service to take you to many areas in the city. Places like MBK, Patpong Market, Ekamai bus station, subway at Asok and Chatuchak Weekend Market.

Lots and lots of hotels in all sorts of price ranges. You can find a cheap room from around 500-800 baht that has air, hot water, private toilet, etc. And on the other end you can find a hotel with the same thing but with better wrappings for over 5000 baht per night!

http://www.asiahotels.com/location-l...d.asp&sr=3

http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/index.html

http://www.asiahotel.co.th/asia_bangkok.htm

Good luck.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM

My 20 yr old daughter and my 63 yr old male cousin travelling at different times, but both in 2008) hated Khao San Road area. Too many aggressive touts and vendors, according to each of them.

Both eventually ended up at places on Suk 11, and liked the neighborhood MUCH better.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM

In your age group and as you are female and unlikely to want to access the beer-bar scene, I think there is a lot of merit in afterall's BANGLAMP00 suggestion. The only issue would be access to the major shopping malls as you will be away from the Sky-train but some of the other first time visitors must-do's like Wat Po and the Grand Palace and the river are close by.
Another area very close to this would be PHRANAKORN which is right on the river, still close to the sights and Khao San rd, and only a 20baht riverboat trip away from Saphan Taksin skytrain station. I had some friends recently stay at the Navalai river resort and they loved the resort and the location.
Dont be misled into thinking that this area serves up nothing but PIZZA and MCD's, there are some excellent Thai restaraunts there and the areas proximity to so many temples would show that it is an area that would not be short in cultural experiences.
What you will find is very well priced accomadation in the area and as the lower budgeted traveller tends to frequent the area, prices at most surroundind venues tend to be more reasonable than areas that surround 5 star hotels.

This is just my opinion and based on the assumption that you are wanting to meet other single and young couple travellers and not wanting to stay somewhere UPSCALE. If you post more abouts your ideals of what you want to get out of your travel experience, I would be more than happy to try and steer you in the right direction.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Kathie,

"But if I was a late teens early 20s backpacker primarily interested in making contact with other backpackers and eating familiar food, I'd love it."

Oh, so put you down! Your trips to Thailand are clearly so much more in touch with the local people, I guess. I'm sure you're right that many young folk go there to meet others of like mind. But some are there for the reason I was there. It's cheap and fun and far more alive that than concrete horror that is downtown BKK. I eat Thai or Indian with a luscious slice of fresh pineapple from a streetside seller for dessert.

I quoted the banana pancakes to give a true picture for the OP who may be open-minded and is young, and clearly wouldn't be posting here if she'd done some research of her own. Of course it's possible that the banana pancake reference has no resonance.

I was over 40 when I first visited. And after an experiment elsewhere I will return, or maybe Chinatown next time.

The OP must make their own decision. They may prefer the picture you paint of water taxis and having the "hotel boat" on call.

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM

afterall: you gotta go stay in the Shanghai Inn in Chinatown on your next trip.

www.shanghai-inn.com

you'd love it.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:53 AM

dogster - bound to be passing througn BKK again before I fall off my twig, so checked the link. Thx. But those rooms are 100aud a night.

And that's using my benchmark 30thb = 1aud. Given current rates (just checked) it's more like 120aud.

Outside my price range, but thanks all the same.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 04:05 AM

The other alternative of course is to give the polluted city a big miss and head for other parts direct from the airport.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM

bangkok as a destination is fun because it offers so much diversity at each turn in the road...

only you know what you desire in a hotel but more importantly you know your budget....start with the budget...if you wish to spend less than $140 per nite then the river is really not a place for you...which personally i find too bad as i think it is the preferable location, especially for new visitors of all ages... the marriott resort and spa is about the cheapest of the river options, although the royal orchid sheraton and hilton are about the same...

take a look at the bangkok holiday inn plenochit and the majestic grande for sukhumvit (central) locations and reasonable prices and also the marriott courtyard...

as a side note, you never stay near any of the sites you want to see in bkk....all are all over the city...so imo location is not that important as far as centralness is concerned
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:24 AM

Best is to stay in silom area. I stayed at montien suriwongse and found it was the perfect location for skytrain and near all the rivers and easy access to the temples and night markets. cheers
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:34 AM

bushranger, and where woulD that be witH easy access back to bangkok for day touring?

i am also planning a trip in december.

thank you