Search

Weekend Breaks from Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2016, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend Breaks from Singapore

Hi guys,

Our cousin and his wife are planning to visit us here in Singapore from India late November and we are planning to take them away for some beach fun for 3-4 days (December first week) We are new to this place (2 months since we shifted here) and dont know much about the places here.. Bintan Islands is what a few acquaintances have suggested, but im getting mixed reviews online.. Cant seem to decide if these resorts are any good and will we find this 4 month getaway worth it..

Could you suggest some good resorts (reasonably priced - not more than 150 usd/day)

Other than Bintan Islands, what options do we have? Bintan is convenient in that short journey time plus none of us would require visa etc.

Our profile: Really late 20s/Early 30 - Looking for good comfortable place to just chill, beach life, pool side, drinks etc.

Hope I've covered enough for some good responses Looking forward!!
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 12:44 PM

I know several people who have gone to Bintan, none were impressed.

You might want to consider some beach areas along the coasts of Malaysia. I've been to Kuantan and enjoyed it at that time of the year. Penang is a good side trip - but not for beaches. If you want beach on that coast of Malaysia, consider Langkawi.

Of course, Bali is wonderful, though it may be rainy at that time of the year. However, I have visited Bali and Lombok in Nov/Dec and didn't let the rain bother me.
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 12:19 AM

You can do better than Bintan. Bali is about a 3.0 hour flight from Singapore. AirAsia is cheap and efficient (USD250 roundtrip).

Early December is just the start of the rainy season. You are likely to get mostly sunny weather, though there's no guarantee.

If you want a lively, sophisticated beach resort environment then you might look at the Petitenget or Batu Belig area of Seminyak. I'd recommend The Colony. It's a charming boutique resort, not right on the ocean but just a few minutes walk from a good beach and lots of restaurants and shops.

Early December is a quiet time in Bali and rates will be negotiable. You should be able to get a good deal on a villa in the same area. Again, negotiate aggressively on the price. Look at Elite Havens to get an idea of what's available.

If you're willing to forego the beach, you could also look at the Ubud area. This is the art and culture center of Bali, with spectacular scenery among the rice paddies, rain forests and river valleys.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Warm Friday greetings from our home of Singapore to the OP, shveta - and hope you are enjoying life in our city-state.

Concur with the above suggestions. That said, will give a promotion of a lovely and relatively new Bintan resort we have enjoyed for the past ~two years, The Sanchaya. (In the interest of full disclosure, we are friends with some individuals who have been involved with the property since day one.) Her average rates are well above the OP's stated budget; perhaps for a future visit.

Any additional lodging and aviation suggestions, happy to assist. Wherever you holiday, enjoy. Best from Singapore (and in a few days, San Francisco Bay Area, via SQ's new non-stop service, SIN-SFO),

robert

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 04:34 PM

I will be in Singapore next year and I am planning a few nights here on Tioman Island.

http://www.japamalaresorts.com/
Old Oct 29th, 2016, 03:09 PM

Depends on what you want.

For a city break then Bangkok or KL are easily and cheaply reached. How about Sabah on Borneo for diving or just living in luxury in a 5* hotel (I stayed at the Shangri La Tanjung Aru and it was beautiful) or even Sarawak (I love Kuching!). Indonesia is fine but I wouldn't want to pay visa fees 'just' for a weekend!
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses!
We ultimately went to Bintan Island only.. The resort Nirwana Gardens was lovely. Would highly recommend it.. The only downside was we JUST stayed at the resort because there was no way to get out of the resort other than pay for a full-day car rental with driver. City is very far from the resort. But there was a lot to do in the resort itself. 4 days went by in a breeze.
But I'm glad I asked this in the forum.. Now I have a few more options for long weekends!
Btw, visa is pretty much exempted for MOST of the nationalities entering Bintan. Not sure if it is for the whole Indonesia or just Bintan.. But, good for us