wedding in rajasthan?

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

wedding in rajasthan?

I am looking to have a traditional Indian wedding in Rajasthan (I am of Indian origin) but I am really struggling to find a good location since I have never visited Rajasthan. Please let me know if you have visited any memorable hotels or cities on your trip where you could imagine a wedding taking place. At the moment i am considering (1) Jag Mandir Palace on Lake Pichola (neighbor of the Lake Palace) (2) Samode Palace (3)Deogarh Mahal (4)Taj Hari in Jodhpur. If there are any unique heritage hotels that you found interesting, any particular city in Rajasthan that you would recommend and could let me know, I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM

NAMASTE! First off, congragulations! That is very beautiful that you are planning you wedding in Rajsthan. I hope u will also honeymoon there, you have got to see this fascinating State, Jaipur, Jodphur, Udaipur, jaisalmer,etc. I can probably be of some help as I am a American woman who has been traveling in the region for over 15 years and absolutely love it. Anyways, i guess i would be partial to the Jag Mandir Palace in Udaipur, as Udaipur is such a romantic city to begin with, and the location of the Jag Mandir, on its own island in the middle of the lake is exquisite. It is a perfect place for a wedding, and the Maharana of Udaipur/House of MEWAR, use it for alot of private functions!) I have visited JAG MANDIR many times and it is such a fascianting and romantic place, filled with so much history and life, rose gardens, jasmine, frangapanni, palm trees, and there are often peacocks, parrots roaming the premises too. Oh, and you need to take a boat to get there to add to the adventure too. Last year when i was in UDAIPUR they were indeed setting up for some huge wedding. It was extraordinary/gorgeous/beautiful, thousands of candles, flowers everywhere! I wanted to get married myself. By the way, when are you planning your wedding, perhaps i will be in town too? Good luck to you and feel free to drop me a line with any questions, happy to chat. Namaste, Bonita.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM

I think you would be quite spoiled for choice as to a place for a wedding reception or some kind of blessing of a civil ceremony. I don't know what religion you are, and whether you want or a religious or civil ceremony; if the former, I believe you will also have to find a temple/mosque to have the ceremony in as well. I have not been to an Indian wedding which was performed anywhere other than a temple (I have only been to Hindu weddings), that is, I don't think that a priest would perform a ceremony at a hotel or other location, but I could be wrong.

Assuming you are a US citizen or green card holder, you should take a look at the information put together by the US embassy in New Delhi regarding getting married in India at http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/acsmarr.html. If you are not a US citizen, try looking at the website for the embassy of your country.

If you don't want to go through the hassle and paper work of getting legally married in India, and option would be to get married where you live and have a blessing ceremony in India and a reception there, esp if you have relatives. I have seen this done fro Indian friends in Singapore.

Which Samode hotel are you referring to? There are two in the Jaipur are, the Samode Haveli outside Jaipur which is has received bad reviews and is quite old and in need of a redo; I think the Samode Place in Jaipur itself is better, although I have not been inside it in many years so can’t confirm this myself. There may be others with the Samode name as well.

In Jaipur, I love the Rambagh Palace in Jaipur for the gardens, ambience and history, and it certainly was the home of a happy marriage for the last Maharajah (albeit he had 3 wives…) so maybe would be good luck for you. Go to www.tajhotels.com.

In terms of a beautiful place with great service and food, the Rajvilas just outside Jaipur would be a great setting. Go to www.oberoihotels.com. It is not a heritage hotel in the sense that is it brand new, but is built in the Mughal style and is quite luxurious.

The Amarvilas in Agra would be another great place for a wedding with the Taj as a backdrop. Go to www.oberoihotels.com.

Is there a reason you have not included the Palace Hotel in Udaipur? I think that is the most beautiful setting in Udaipur, right in the middle of the lake.

Finally, although I have not seen this hotel myself, the Neemrana Fort-Palace looks fantastic in the pictures and I think would be a great setting. It has received some good reviews sep in the October 2004 issue of Traveler Magazine. I understand it is a few hours outside Delhi so would be convenient as well. Go to neemranahotels.com

For Jodhpur, my only comment that if you are expecting people to attend from overseas, Jodhpur is a bit difficult to get to, as there is limited air service, and it is a long train ride or drive on top of an international flight. IMO a place like Jaipur, Udaipur or Agra would be more convenient.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Sorry, in Udaipur I was referring to the Lake Palace Hotel.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM

My vote goes to Jagmandir on the lake Pichola, built in the 17th century & approachable only by boat. I say it because not only the venue is great but also the hrh group (www.hrhindia.com), through which your wedding preparations will be organised has long experience in holding such events...last celebrity to get married was the indian actress, Raveena Tondon.
Apart from the organisation, you have the Shivniwas & Fatehprakash hotels to put up your guests in.
Happy Wedding & intense togetherness!!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:47 AM

Cicerone,
I believe it's the other way round on the Samode properties. Samode Haveli is in Jaipur and the Samode Palace and Samode Bagh are about an hour (45 km approx)outside of town. The Palace and Bagh are just 4 km apart.
We are currently planning a night in each when we visit there in Dec/Jan, just to try another heritage property and one other tent camp. (We will also be at Sher Bagh for 2 nights.) We figure we will need some relax time after 3 hectic days in Jaipur for shopping and sightseeing. (Staying at Raj Palace there.)
We've been told we can enjoy the gardens around the Bagh, stroll around the village, maybe take a camel ride for just a couple of hours into the surrounding area.
Has anyone here been to Samode who could comment on that plan?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM

We just stayed at Samode Haveli. It is the one inside the walls of the old city. They were upgrading some of the room while we were there. We loved it. Not 5 star international luxe like the Amarvilas, but comfortable. Our room was huge and clean, bath was all marble with separate tub and shower, and the pool area was sooooo relaxing. Fun location to wander as well.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Lindsey, your Samoda plan sounds great. Might be better to post on another thread tho.

Clove, I agree with comments re having the wedding somewhere accessible. IMO this means either Jaipur or Udaipur. Jaipur is 4 hours by road from Delhi and Udaipur is a direct flight from Delhi or Mumbai. Within these 2 cities, Samode Haveli or Bagh is a good option coz you could potentially book most of the hotel (it is small) and it would be a real "haveli" wedding experience with mostly your guests. I know of someone who did this. Jag Mandir is also a fab idea. I also second Ciceron's Neemrana suggestion - take a look at www.neemranahotels.com. I have been there and it is a fab location for a wedding. From the Delhi international airport your guests could be there in 1.5 hours. Again, you could book the whole place. What budget and how many guests are you thinking? Take a look at www.heritagehotels.com for further ideas.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 03:17 AM

Hi Clove! I may be too late with this advice, but check out the Regal Weddings site:

http://www.regal-weddings.com/

They specialize in organizing palace weddings in Rajasthan for NRIs like yourself and non-Indians like me.

My fiancee and I are organizing our wedding with them to take place at the Samode Palace next year and so far we have been very happy with their service and advice.

Best of luck and congratulations whatever you decide on!