what are some of the best sites/regions

May 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

what are some of the best sites/regions

I will admit I don't know much about what I want to see/do in India (other than the Taj Mahal). I have been doing some research, but feel overloaded with info. I am hoping some seasoned travelers will give me some inspiration/ideas about where to go and help me to decide.

I am planning to be gone about a week (at least), and though it's not enough to see much, it's all the time I have. I will be attending a friend of a friend's wedding (don't remember the small town that is outside of Delhi where I will be staying), but want to see some basic (*major*) sites in India before leaving...am also thinking about Tibet (while so near). Please advise. Where would you go/do if you had a short time here? What is a don't miss?

Thanks!
raiderjane
May 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

I think I would like Rajasthan, Mumbai, Jodhpur, Agra and Delhi (if this helps limit all the possibilities down)
May 30th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Does your week include the wedding or is the week your available time before or after the wedding? This will help with planning.

Either way, you won't have much time to go anywhere more than Delhi and Agra - but there is plenty to see in Delhi alone. The Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays as an FYI.

What is the town where the wedding will be?
May 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM

a week is not much time really...and india is huge so you will need to stay near to delhi...

i would go to agra (taj) for two nites, by train or with a driver...

i would spend the rest of my time in and around delhi.. there is plenty to do in delhi...

an interesting overnite or two outside of delhi is at the neemrana fort palace hotel...

get a guidebook on delhi and plan out your visit....a guide for your days would come in handy....
May 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Just click on the Delhi information tab here on the Fodor's site for the major sights and see what looks interesting to you.

- Go to the Cottage Industries Emporium - you can spend a few hours there just looking at the 3 or 4 floors of Indian handicrafts.
- Go to McDonald's and get their McAloo sandwich (aloo means potato in Hindi). They also have a vegetable cutlet sandwich which is tasty.
- Stroll around Connaught Place - loaded with stores of all kinds.
May 31st, 2009, 06:45 PM

The time of year you will be there would be a major factor, as possibly avoiding monsoon rains or heat would make a difference in my reccos. Also, it would help to know the place “outside” of Delhi where the wedding will be; as some people have only a vague sense of Indian geography and you may actually be quite a distance from Delhi, or the wedding may be a place that itself merits a few days’ visit. Finally, it would help to know whether the week you have includes the wedding or not. Also, are you aware of all the events surrounding the wedding to which you may be invited or want to or are expected to attend, e.g. the bangle ceremony for a Hindu bride is something you might find very interesting to attend if you were invited. (Women only)

If the week includes the time for the wedding, they you have quite a short amount of time for outside sightseeing and may just want to concentrate on getting your self to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. Personally, I think 2 nights in Agra is good so you can see other things as well and see the Taj itself at different times of day when the light is different.

Delhi itself offers quite a lot to see and do and you may just want to concentrate on the wedding, Agra and then time in Delhi if all you have is a week.

If you can provide some more info, we can make more focused recommendations.
Jun 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM

I also asked these similar questions 3 days ago, but the OP (this is his/her first and only posting BTW) has not replied.