We NEED a deserted PARADISE!!

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We NEED a deserted PARADISE!!

My boyfriend and I have been going back and forth on where to spend our 6 day's of beach relaxation of snorkeling, baking in the sun, exploring a beautiful island, and maybe some diving.

We are looking for a quiet beach, low levels of development (it doesn't even need electricity), inexpensive bungalows and food, great snorkeling, white deserted beaches, and friendly locals. Sounds like paradise doesn't it? But where is it?

We will be coming to Thailand from the Cambodian boarder on search of this Paradise in one week. We have contemplated the following:

1) Koh Chang~ is it overdeveloped? Is the snorkeling good?

2) Ko Tao~ is this a huge party scene?

3) Perhentian Islands~ Will it take to long to get too from BKK and is it expensive to stay here and enjoy the activities?

Note*** We are super poor college students just looking for a relating time on the beach. We are not interested in parting it up like the Khao San Rd kid’s do. We have our snorkel gear ready to go, we are just still trying to figure out where to go.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM

lonelyplanet.com Happy Travels!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM

koh samui is not all that built up like the other thai places and there are some small islands in the area as well....as for snorkeling i'm not sure of that...it is very laid back...
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Pitcairne Island.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Koh Tao is the place. Check out www.samui.org/kohtao/hotels/index.html There are still bungalows for $8, $10 & $12, but this is high season and you should try to book a place for, at least, a couple of nights in advance.

I've nowhere to recommend having only ever used the liveaboard belonging to www.aquademiadive.com

My daughter tells me that despite recent storms, visability is around 20m and turtles have returned to Twins dive site (Tao means turtle). Go to www.padidiveguides.com for more info on scuba. Snorkelling can be excellent in Tao's shallows, unlike most of Samui and Pha Ngan where the water is clean, but silty for much of the year, especially now during the tail end of the SW monsoon, which washes silt from the high ground.

BTW the 'huge party scene' is on neighbouring, but sufficiently distant, Koh Pha Ngan, before during and after each full moon.

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Ko Tao does not have a huge party scene but there are some lively bars - but you can take it or leave it. The cheaper bungalows on Ko Tao tend to be linked to dive resorts. The price per bungalow will be more expensive if you are not diving - if you are taking a course they will become even cheaper. Most people go to Ko Tao to dive, however there are some nice snorkelling spots.

Ko Phang Ngan has a big party scene - but only really on one beach - Haad Rin, I'd avoid like the plague. There are some other really beautiful beaches - Thong Nai Pan Noi, Haad Salad and Bottle Beach spring to mind. The accommodation is really reasonable and the atmosphere idyllic. The bungalows are inexpensive (500B plus for a decent, fan one). Some places might not have 24 hour electricity but you said you weren't bothered about that anyway. You can take a longtail to snorkel around the island and over to the marine park also. My favourite is Thong Nai Pan Noi but the journey from the pier to the beach is sufficiently 'entertaining' to keep the masses away.

Perhentian is just overwhelmingly beautiful and is exactly what you have outlined. However, if you only have one week and you have to get down from Cambodia, it would be quite a journey especially if you have to get back to BKK to fly out?

Don't know much about Ko Chang as haven't been there. Have you tried http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ - the Thailand forum board are really helpful on the islands.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM

As scuba divers have you read or done other reaserch on diving sites in thailand , maybe you can find a place mentioned on a mag and post it here. someone on this board may be able too comment on it. but in general fodors may not be the best place to o do your reaserch on dive sites.
---------

Since you asked. being on a deserted beach for me would be like the third or fourth decent into Donte's hell..

lol, I have been living in thailand for 3 years now and have yet too go down south..

ya I know it was a rhetorical question but I like throwing my five cents in.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Try Koh Ngai ( off Trang.) Was there in Jan this year and it was beautiful. No real night life other than a little local restaurant just next to the Fantasy Resort. Cheap, friendly and lovely food. A couple of bars at the other end of the island It has a great unspoilt beach, super for snorkling, so many beautiful coloured fish by the little rock islands you can see from the beach. If you want an unspoilt island with little to do but eat, enjoy the beach, swim, walk, boat trips I would recommend it.......We loved it there. The weather/sea was perfect there in Jan.......not sure what it is like at other times of the year.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Koh Ngai does has a dive center too!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Orgy-- I'm with you. I went south once on my first trip in the mid 1980s. No tourists (or not many) and gorgeous. I have not been back although I've been to Thailand 17 times since. Not my thing as they say.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM

gbjoce1-where did you stay on Koh Ngai? Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Hi....we stayed at the Fantasy Resort, had a room right on the beach which was super and certainly the best ones to have. Rooms were pleasant, clean and had everything you needed....and waking up to that lovely beach was one of my best memories of Thailand.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your reply. I found a site http://andaman-island-hopping.com and have been looking at Fantasy. There are a couple of bad reviews though, on www.sawadee.com so I wanted to get your opinion and much appreciate hearing first hand! All the best!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 12:26 AM

Hi Lyndie. Guess you can get mixed reviews about any hotel, I read a bad one about the hotel we stayed in in Phuket by people who had been there a month later than us. They were complaining about dirty rooms and unfriendly staff. I was amazed as we found quite the opposite. The rooms at the Fantasy were not as plush as some of the ones we stayed in in other places but they were fine, en suite, fridge etc. The only thing it did not have was tea and coffee making facilities.... I like my early morning cuppa especially looking at that beautiful sea from the balcony! My husband used to nip along to the local restaurant next door and bring back a tray of tea. The only strange thing was that some bright spark had had the idea of dotting a few disney characters around the garden and the rocks around the room were fake!!! I could not imagine why anyone would think all of that natural beauty would be enhanced by that! Would check out the weather/sea conditions, they were perfect in Jan but I dont know about other times of the year.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM

Thanks gbjoce1. Dates are Dec 8 to Dec 12 or thereabouts so should be similar to Jan. I will check it our, nevertheless, and much appreciate your advice. All the best!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM

You might look into Ko Lipe a bit further south. I've heard there is nice snorkeling from the beaches there and it's way secluded and beautiful.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:24 PM

This is just the info I'm looking for since I've changed my mind from Ko Samet (after too much time spent deciding on hotels).
Please tell more about Perthentian. Where is it? I've noticed that many islands are not on the maps. I'm a single woman, a senior, looking for beautiful beach and snorkeling---with some restaurants around. Don't need a resort , but do need AC.

How do you get to this island ? I'll be coming from BKK , staying 4 nights, then heading to the airport for Cambodia.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Reviews are always just personal opinions, I saw someone complain about the 'noisy floors' in a place that had spend a forune putting in amazing pure wood flooring !
So you can't please everyone!

I had forgotten to mention Koh Yao

closest you come to a quiet paradise

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/phangnga/paradise/

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...oyao/pictures/

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:16 AM

In view of the fact you're coming in from the Cambodian border you may as well take the path of least resistence and head to Koh Chang, I myself haven't been there but many friends have and from their reports & pics I'd say Chang will suit your needs. The alternative is to head way down the southern peninsula to the islands off the coast of Satun or Trang but this will eat into your 6 days, as well as your budgets. However, as you are already in Cambodia have you considered trying an island there, I believe there are islands off the coast of Sihanoukville, I've never been to them so can't comment but perhaps you can check them out.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:48 AM

MHRS, Koh Chang would be most convenient for you. Note that Koh Chang is a malarial risk area (as is Siem Reap). Perthentians are just too far away to be practical for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -