Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visiting Singapore and Malaysia for 1st time in March. Could use some tips

Jan 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone
I will be traveling to Hong Kong (my 6th time), Singapore and Malaysia (both 1sts) in March. I've been an on and off poster/reader of this forum for the last several years. I would like to know if any of you could offer at least 3 places each that are "Must Sees" in Singapore and Malaysia. I will be in Singapore and Malaysia 4 days a piece, so I won't to make the most of my time there.

Also, can any of you tell me the best food courts that each country has. I'm a big food court nut and would like to visit a local mall or food place in general that offers a wide variety of food to eat. I think I saw one that was profiled on No Reservations or Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel, but I don't remember the name.

I'm also a big night market nut, and would like to know the best night markets to visit in both places.

Finally I will be staying at the YWCA Fort Canning Lodge in Singapore. How is the area where this hotel is located? Is it convenient and is it near an MTR so that I can move around town?

In Kuala Lumpur, I'm staying at the Grand Millenium Kuala Lumpur. How is that also in terms of a convenient area and night life?

Thank You very much for reading and I look forward to hearing some of your comments/input. I haven't traveled internationally since 2007, so I am beyond stoked to be heading to Asia once again.
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:22 AM

We loved Sin and Malaysia. I have a trip report here that includes KL and Penang. I hope something from it can be of use to you.

You will find plenty more if you do a search in the search box above.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...and-penang.cfm
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:22 AM

The Millenium in KL is an excellent location. The new Pavilion mall is just a block down, and the Bukit Bintang area is right at your door. Pavilion has a branch of Food Republic in the basement, I think. It's a branch of the big Singapore food court chain. Definitely check them out when you're in Singapore. There's one in Vivo City.
Jan 18th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

I managed to get the Millenium in KL for $89 a night on Expedia.com and it appears to be a 5 star hotel.

People have told me in the past that you should visit an Asian/Chinese travel agency to book trips to Asia. However, I've found it to be so much easier and cheaper in certain instances to do this all online.

So far, I've spent $2,200 on Hotels and round trip Air Faire for all 3 countries. I think that's pretty darn good. Did everything through Expedia and to top it off, there is no BS tourist trap tourist groups since I will be doing everything on my own.
Jan 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM

If you only have four days in Malaysia you can't possibly see much more than K.L. and perhaps a day trip to Melaka, and there's a lot more to Malaysia than that. If you had four nights rather than days I suppose you could do two nights in K.L. and two in the Cameron Highlands, but you'd be spending a lot of your time traveling.