Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visiting Singapore and Kuala Lumpur February 2019

Sep 21st, 2018, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

This trip has not really been planned by DH and I, but my DD, SIL and 8 month old grandson, are going to spend a week in KL mid February. They live in New York. We have decided to meet them there for the week, but will spend 5 days in Singapore prior to KL. We live in New Zealand. Just grabbing an opportunity to catch up with our grandson!!

I think we will be able to fill in our time in Singapore no problem, but not so sure about Kuala Lumpur. There is a bird park in Singapore and one in KL. Is it worth going to both?
What are some good places to visit in KL and other things to do. We are staying at the Seri Pacific hotel.

Any tips appreciated about both Singapore and KL.
Sep 21st, 2018, 11:21 PM
kja

I haven't been to Kuala Lumpur yet, but thoroughly enjoyed Singapore! If you haven't seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
Sep 21st, 2018, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kja, I will enjoy reading it and picking up tips.
Sep 22nd, 2018, 04:30 PM

I'm not fond of KL, though I have visited there several times for 4-5 days each time. I would recommend you use KL as a jumping off point to visit elsewhere - Georgetown, Penang would be my choice, but Langkawi would be an option if you are looking for a beach.
Sep 22nd, 2018, 06:23 PM

Nelsonian: Mark has done some really good videos on Kuala Lumpur. I am a subscriber to his www.migrationology.com website. In the two links below, you might find something that suits you. He has also done other ones on KL.

Eating in Malaysia alone is reason to go there and there's some good food in KL. There are also plenty of museums if you're into museums and also shopping.

I was last in KL in both Jan 2015 and Jan 2016 after having last been there in April 2001. I hardly recognized the transformation when I arrived in Jan 2015. During my upcoming, annual, 6-week vacation in S.E. Asia, although I love Penang, I have taken 2 nights off of Penang and put 2 nights onto KL. I'll meet my former Airbnb hosts there and we will eat our way all around KL and down to Melaka and back to KL.

I have spent, on average, 4-5 nights in Penang in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. I don't plan to not spend time in Penang on future trips, but I'm going to start adding more time to KL to really get deep into it.

If you end up in Penang, be very careful of the open trenches. It's necessary to look down and not be distracted looking other places while in the inner, historical part of Penang.

Happy Travels!
Sep 22nd, 2018, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links guenmai. I think my DD and SIL are treating this visit as a food trip, as well as catching up with a good friend. We will likely go with the flow, but will try and get them to do some touristy things too.
Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:30 AM

You're welcome. Have a great trip.

Happy Travels!
Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:15 AM

The bird Park in KL isn’t as impressive as the one in Singapore, but it is close by other attractions such as the Islamic Arts Museum, the National Mosque, botanical gardens etc.

It is difficult to get around KL as the transport systems and really joined up tha well. There is however a free circular bus service which links KLCCC with Bukit Bintang Etc.

The food is excellent in KL, check out the Banana leaf restaurants in little India ( be prepared to eat with your fingers, some excellent Chinese food around Petaling Street and one of my favourites is Wong Ah Wah on Jalan Alor - their BBQ stingray is exquisite. If you like Dim Sum go to Din Tai Fung in the Pavilions Shopping Centre.

Some of the 5* hotels have some excellent buffets. Te Mandarin Oriental and Shangri La are especially good.

KL is short on drop dead tourist sights but most would head to the Petronas Tower in KLCC shopping centre. Last time there we had sundowners with Internetwiz and husband Bill in the rooftop bar at Traders Hotel - THE best views of the towers lit up at night.

Don’t waste your time visiting Batu Caves a much hyped sight - just not worth the effort.
Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:38 AM

I forgot to also mention The Pavillon Shopping Mall on Bukit Bintang as the food court in the basement is incredible.

Good to hear opinions on Batu Caves. I haven't been to them as that's not my thing. But, I know of others who have.

I'm glad to know of where to get excellent barbecued sting ray and have put it on my list for my winter trip.

Happy Travels!
Sep 23rd, 2018, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Coming from New Zealand I have never seen monkeys just hanging around like they seem to be at Batu Caves, so may just go to see that. Not worried about the Caves themselves. We are going to be staying at the Seri Pacific which I think is right by the Petronas Tower. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Sep 24th, 2018, 11:21 AM

I'm one who tries to stay away from monkeys as I'm personally not fond of them to say the least. They can be quite aggressive. A friend was bitten by one in the monkey forest on Bali and my best friend had problems with them on safari in South Africa some decades ago. I've heard other, non-pleasant stories from various people dealing with monkeys in various places in the world as there are also interactions with monkeys in Thailand. Just be careful around them. And when people feed them, they can get more aggressive. One friend had one jump on her back and had a time trying to get it off.

Happy Travels!
Sep 24th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Hmm in that case we may avoid the monkeys. I had read if you have food in your back-pack they can climb all over you trying to get it.
Sep 24th, 2018, 10:55 PM
kja

Food, water, and plastic can all be enticements for curious monkeys. You might look at the description of my experience with the monkeys of Bali toward the end of my trip report.

And if you decide to go anywhere where there are monkeys, be sure to tell your travel physician so you can determine whether you should be inoculated for rabbies.

Last edited by kja; Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Feb 6th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

We start our trip in two days. Just wondering if any of you have done the river safari and night safari at Singapore Zoo. What did you think? I am getting a mix of reviews in my searches of the internet.
Feb 6th, 2019, 05:39 PM
kja

I went on the "night safari." From post # 12 of my trip report:
"• took a taxi to the Singapore Zoo,
• waited through some VERY long lines for the train through the park (OMG, the marked lanes have a butt-rest rail! Life can be GOOD! ),
• and was very glad to see the many animals that can be seen after sunset in the safety and convenience afforded by the train, and with kudos to the narrator who made sure to tell us what we were seeing. I then
• walked some of the well-marked paths, finding many interesting animals along the way.
• I particularly enjoyed the fisher cats: Their enclosure included a stream and some ponds, in which turtles and fish swam. One of the cats would sit at the edge, intently looking among the turtles for a fish, and then prepare to pounce and ... relax. Prepare! Relax. Prepare! Relax ... all without taking its eyes from the pond. And then, like any cat I've ever known, it would suddenly decide it needed to be elsewhere IMMEDIATELY and jump off into the surrounding vegetation. I never did see one catch a fish! ;-)
• I attended the rather hocky show. It seemed great for kids and there were many children in the audience who seemed thrilled. Too, it was nice to see the delight the parents took in making it possible for their children to have those moments.
• I succumbed to hunger and ate a BongoBurger, and then, finally,
• a long taxi ride brought me back to my hotel and some much needed sleep.
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
Feb 6th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kja, I remember reading your report yesterday, but have also read so many other reviews since then, that I think I am in research overload. It definitely sounds as though it was a worthwhile trip, and that walking some of the trails rather than just taking the tram is a good idea.
Feb 6th, 2019, 07:02 PM
kja

Well, I enjoyed it -- but people differ!
Feb 6th, 2019, 10:13 PM

We went to the zoo night safari and heard a lion roar that was the loudest lion roar we’ve ever heard outside of the Serengeti! We were walking at the time, it stopped us in our tracks. Perhaps the mixed reviews depend on what happens the night you are there. I wouldn’t put it at top tier attraction, but it was enjoyable.

i guess a lion roar is appropriate for Singapore!
Feb 6th, 2019, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Most of the reviews seems to be about the crowds, and everyone trying to get on to the first tram ride. I think if we do some walking tracks first, and then try for a tram it might be better. I guess it depends how we cope with the heat and humidity also.
Feb 6th, 2019, 10:49 PM
kja

Originally Posted by nelsonian View Post
Most of the reviews seems to be about the crowds, and everyone trying to get on to the first tram ride. I think if we do some walking tracks first, and then try for a tram it might be better. I guess it depends how we cope with the heat and humidity also.
LOL, I'd forgotten that ridiculous rush for the trams! My guess is that a lot of families wanted to be sure to finish their train in time to get a good seat for the "show", maybe catching a bite to eat in between. As I mentioned, there's a "butt rail" in the area in which one waits for a train, so I didn't find it particularly unpleasant, and I liked walking the paths later, once it had cooled a bit and the crowds had dissipated. But I visited the place only once, so I have no idea what I would have thought had I done something different.

@ Nelson: That sounds like one awesome roar!