Visiting Hong Kong in September, need advice on 2nd destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morning! My name is Mike and I'm visiting Hong Kong for a week in September and I'm planning to stay in the Lan Kwai Fong area. I need help in identifying my next destination since I have another week before I need to come back to the states. A little about me: I'm 32, single, and will be traveling alone. I really enjoy going places where many people have not gone and I really enjoy nightlife. I'm huge into culture as well and love to visit museums and historic sites.

Here are some the cities that have intrigued me. I'd like to get your thoughts on which could be the best for a week of travel. I'm open to other destinations as well -

Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City - very intriguing because of the war and because it seems less touristy.

Bangkok - heard great things about this city, but it seems like everyone and their mom goes here in Asia. Intrigued by the nightlife and the food...

Seoul - Heard great things since 2 of my friends taught english here. Could be a great destination...

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Mike
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Here are my thoughts on your ideas:

Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City: All of VN is firmly established on the tourist trail and has been for a couple of decades. If you try to visit both cities, you'll be barely scratching the surface and will need to fly between the cities. If you opt for VN, I'd suggest you choose one city or the other and visit places around that city. So for Hanoi, you might visit Mau Chau, for instance and stay for two nights - this is a place more off the tourist track. If you opt for HCMC, you might spend a couple of days in the delta.

Bangkok - This is my favorite city in the world. Yes, many people visit Bangkok, but they all tend to do the same things. So while you would want to see the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, if you go to another wat (Buddhist temple) a couple of blocks away, you'll be the only non-Thai person there. There are slo day trips out of town or you could go to another place in Thailand. September is a difficult month for beaches as both monsoon systems are active. Still, if you don't mind a little rain and some rough waters, you could get a good deal on a beach hotel.

Seoul - sorry, I can't help with this one.

Other places to consider:

Bali
Laos (fly to Luang Pranabg for a week)
Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia a lovely world heritage city with fabulous street food.

Happy Planning - it's great to have a week to play with.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
To add to one of Kathie's suggestions, I, too, recommend Penang, a bit more off the beaten path than any you've suggested. In addition, I suggest you go from Georgetown to the Cameron Highlands by taxi for a couple of days. It's a tea growing region, quiet countryside and small towns, fewer tourists yet. Good area for some hiking if that appeals, or just hang out.
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:50 AM

September is a good time for Bali, good weather and not so crowded. September 7 will be the start of a 10 day holiday period, and there will be a lot of temple ceremonies and village festivities. It's also surfing season.

In the southern beach area there are lots of nightlife options from quiet bars to loud clubs. Kuta is wild and raucous, Seminyak/Petitenget more upscale, Canggu/Batu Bolong more hipster.

The inland area around Ubud is the place to go for culture and nature; arts & crafts and performing arts; religion, spiritualism, wellness; nature walks, trekking and adventure activities.

It's a small island and you can enjoy a lot of different aspects within a couple of hour's travel.

I think your wishlist (nightlife plus roads untraveled) is a bit contradictory, at least within a week. Once you get off the beaten track you lose the night life aspect and places with sophisticated environments tend to be well traveled.
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:52 AM

Here's what you might do, Mike. From USA, or immediately after HK arrival, organize a China visa. Try for at least double entry, even the 10 year option if possible. So when you quit HK, you can have China on the list of possibles. You may consider Laos, but why miss your lifetime opportunity to experience the culture shakers of the century. the Han Chinese.

Grab a bus from Mong Kok to Shenzhen, Dongguan, or Old Canton, aka Guangzhou City. Take a old style train ride at least 400 km, on a hard sleeper. Walk around a small/big city, eat some daily fare. Buy a trinket.
Old May 21st, 2016, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want somewhere less touristed, at least by westerners (I think the mainland Chinese have discovered it in considerable numbers) I suggest Taiwan. Taipei for the big city vibe, Tainan for history, and Taroko gorge for scenery. And no need to mess with a visa if you're American.