Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visiting daughter in Hong Kong - where to take her?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
WG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our daughter is being relocated to HK for work. We will join her over Xmas holiday week and would like to take her somewhere - about Dec 30-Jan 3. Thinking about Angkor Wat, or Northern Vietnam... Do you have highly recommended tour guides/tour company (complete = from arrival to departure) and thoughts about how much we could reasonably do in the allotted time? Many thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM

With those few days, you could visit Angkor Wat. You may have to route via Bangkok, as I checked the Cathay Pacific website and they have no flights to Siem Reap. I don't know if any other airlines fly from HKG to REP.

Northern Vietnam may be rather cold. Hanoi should be pleasantly cool, but Sapa will be cold and wet and Halong Bay cold and misty.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
WG
Original Poster

thank you. i will look into that. does anyone have a tour guide or company to highly recommend>
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:26 PM

I think Dragonair flies from HK to Siem Riep, but it's been a couple of years since I checked.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM

No scheduled non-stops right now. Tours usually connect through PNH. Unless there's a charter.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM

I would first ask your daughter where she might want to go, she may have different thoughts after having lived in HK for a few months. Also bear in mind that Ankor Wat will be fairly packed that week as it is a big holiday week all over the world. You may find hotels and esp flghts are already booked. Bangkok will also be busy, but there are many more hotels and flights, and it is much larger and offers more varied activities (5 days in Ankor would be more than you need, IMO). Hotels in beach areas in Thailand like Phuket are probably already booked for that week, but you could consider them. Singapore would be another possibility. Bali is another consideration, again will be crowded, but more hotels and even rental houses should be available and you can stay in less touristed areas. Beijing would be a good choice assuming you are OK with cold weather. It can be beautiful in winter and crowds would tend to be smaller at major sights like the Forbidden City. Or a place like Xian or Lijiang could be interesting.

I don’t think you need an organized tour for any of these.

I also have to say that the weather in HK is absolutely lovely in December and there is a ton to see and do for a week in HK. It’s great for walks/hikes, outdoor dining, etc. You could also include an overnight in Macau (avoid weekends)