Trip Ininerary

Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Trip Ininerary

Please help with my trip itinerary, leaving US mid February, 2008.

Arrive Nanoi late afternoon. Four full days in Hanoi then traveling to HaLang Bay on day five for overnight stay. Arrive back Hanoi on day six to catch early evening flight to Hue.

Two full days in Hue with evening flight at end of second day to HCMC.

Four full days HCMC getting early evening flight to Siem Reap on day four.

Three full days Siem Reap getting late night flight to Bangkok at end of day three.

Five full days in Bangkok catching mid day flight on day 6 to Hong Kong.

Spending several days in Hong Kong before heading back to US.

We have never been to Viet Nam, Siem Reap or Bangkok. Please give me your ideas on the amount of time allocated to each place. Have been to HK.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM

This looks good to me. The one change I, personally, would make would be to cut a day from HCMC and add it to Siem Reap.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM

- check the times the boat tours to Halong Bay get back to Hanoi. I was looking at this the other day as I have a similar situation, and you may not make it back in time for an early evening flight if you're going on a 2 day/1 night trip. I believe most said they get you back around 4-5pm, and I assume that it may be later if anything holds you up.

- you probably don't need 4 days in HCMC and you can take a boat from there through Mekong Delta to Phnom Penh if you're interested in doing that instead of flying. Then you can spend a few days there and take a short flight or 5 hour bus to Siem Reap.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM

If you aren't going in and out of Hong Kong on a roundtrip ticket, you have to be able to show the ticket agent an e-ticket itinerary of your exit flight (might be relevant for those with around the world tickets or multi-city tickets). If you don't have the itinerary with you, you'll risk not being allowed into Hong Kong.

So be sure to print your exit itinerary and carry it with you when you check into your HKG flight!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM

btw, I'm not sure how you're buying your tickets, but they can be pretty expensive when flying internationally, especially flights to Siem Reap and Hong Kong. I found the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass made a lot of sense in this case since they fly BKK to Siem Reap, and Siem Reap to Hong Kong. If you have at least 3 legs, you will only be paying $115 including all taxes for each of the international legs, which is very cheap and probably cheaper than you will find elsewhere. They also fly to HCMC from BKK.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

sorry, clicked "post" too early.

Basically, in your case, it might make sense to get these 3 legs and do these cities in this order to save a lot of money: HCMC-BKK, BKK-Siem Reap, and Siem Reap-Hong Kong.

Also, check out Pacific Airlines for cheap flights within Vietnam. Vietnam Airlines can be somewhat expensive and you can't book online.